Windows 10: Turn On or Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Tutorial updated for Windows 10 Technical Preview build 10074. [img] Note In Windows 10 Technical Preview build 10074, you can turn off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows 10

Tutorial updated for Windows 10 Technical Preview build 10074.

Turn On or Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Note In Windows 10 Technical Preview build 10074, you can turn off Windows Defender real-time protection temporarily, but it's off for a while, Windows will turn it back on automatically.

:)

Brink, Apr 28, 2015
  2. Jsssssssss, Apr 28, 2015
  3. Turn On or Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows 10

You can disable Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Local Group Policy Editor (Run: gpedit.msc then select: Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Defender/Real-time Protection and enable the "Turn off Real-time Protection" setting). It won't turn back on automatically and Windows Defender doestn't even notice that there's something wrong (it will stay green).

Majestic12, Jul 5, 2015
  4. Gary Win User
    I use it, WD seems to be adequate.

Gary, Jul 5, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You could also use this below to completely disable Windows Defender. *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Jul 5, 2015
  6. I know, but quick antivirus scan can be useful from time to time and furthermore after completely disabling Windows Defender you get that annoying window, informing you that WD is turned off, every time the computer starts.

Majestic12, Jul 5, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member

Agreed. Tutorial updated to add this. *Smile

Brink, Jul 5, 2015
  8. tazmo8448 Win User
    Using the merge registry to enable WD on the above method, have noticed that while running Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK) that the registry created by the utility (Enable_Windows_Defender_Real-Time_Protection.reg) is when EEK is run listed as a (from the log file):

Scan start: 11/8/2015 10:44:19 PMValue: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2610782532-1500699501-3633152452-1000\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN -> WINDOWS DEFENDER detected: Backdoor.Win32.BlackShades (A)

realizing this may be a false/positive curious as to why it would see the registry file as such.

tazmo8448, Nov 9, 2015
  9. Malware usually disables WD , so it sees the key as a threat, does not matter, if it is 1 or 0.

TairikuOkami, Nov 9, 2015
  10. tazmo8448 Win User
    On an upgrade to W10 from W7 the WD icon didn't show so I used the above utility to enable it. Then a little later ran EEK it latched on the registry file the utility created showing it as a BackDoor.BlackShades. Let me make this clear the BackDoor did not show in EEK til I ran the utility. It did not show prior to running the utility. The utility itself creates the registry file that EEK finds as a Trojan. I can remove the reg file and EEK shows nothing I can re-run the utility and EEK will again show it as a Trojan.
    I am aware of the fact that malware likes to disable A/V but this particular issue is caused by triggering the icon to show in the task bar.

tazmo8448, Nov 9, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello tazmo, *Smile

It's a false positive by EEK since the .reg file is manually setting the group policy to disable Windows Defender real-time protection.

Brink, Nov 9, 2015
  12. tazmo8448 Win User

That's what I thought EEK sees it as an attachment ergo BlackShades and in this case 'enabling' does the same thing.

tazmo8448, Nov 9, 2015
  13. AmirAcle Win User
    Hey brink do you know why my Windows Defender settings are like that its like i can't click on anything its grayed out could you kindly help me here is the screenshot
    Turn On or Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows 10 [​IMG]

AmirAcle, Dec 28, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello AmirAcle, *Smile

It looks like Windows Defender has been disabled. Do you have a 3rd party AV program installed? If so, that would be why.

Brink, Dec 28, 2015
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Defender

2. Untable to Control Windows Defender Real-time Protection On/Off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Untable to Control Windows Defender Real-time Protection On/Off: Sometimes, we need to turn off Windows Defender Real-time protection. In my experience, this software may cause some error to run Android Emulator such as BigNox. It also slowing down my Android Studio. To disable Windows Defender Real-time protection, I do these steps: Run...
  3. Real Time Protection in Windows Defender wont turn on

Real Time Protection in Windows Defender wont turn on: HELLO ! I have a problem with my Windows Defender, many times ago i downloaded a file, i dont know that contain virus. Then i finished for downloading. After 1 minutes, my Windows Defender was attackes by that virus, the Real TIme Protection wont turn on back. THe display...
  4. Windows Defender not turning on real time protection

Windows Defender not turning on real time protection: I cant seem to solve the problem even after following all the steps given in the Microsoft support page. I haven't seen any other antivirus softwares installed and still can't have access to my windows defender. Any solutions?...
  5. Windows Defender not turning on real time protection

Windows Defender not turning on real time protection: I cant seem to solve the problem even after following all the steps given in the Microsoft support page. I haven't seen any other antivirus softwares installed and still can't have access to my windows defender. Any solutions?...
  6. Windows Defenders - Cannot Turn On / Off Real Time Protection

Windows Defenders - Cannot Turn On / Off Real Time Protection: Hi everyone, I need some help regarding windows defender real-time protection. My computer was attacked with a virus when I was installing a program. After the attack, I can't turn on my Windows Defender Real-Time Protection as it is stated that the setting can only be...
  7. Real-time protection, turn off and stay off?

Real-time protection, turn off and stay off?: Hi How do I turn Real-Time Protection OFF so it will stay off, also after a reboot? Windows 10 Pro, version 1803, build 17134.228...
  8. Can't Turn On my Windows Defender Real Time Protection

Can't Turn On my Windows Defender Real Time Protection: For ages now, I've been unable to turn on my Windows Defender Real-Time Protection. I've tried everything including Disk Cleanup, system restore points, running several different antivirus programs for threats (after discovering last week I had a Trojan on my PC only 24 hours...
  9. Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection

Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection: I'm unable to turn on Windows Defender real-time protection. It says "Handled by another AV program". But I have no AV program installed. Earlier I had bit-defender AV but I uninstalled it (Even I used bit-defender uninstaller tool). Still it shows the error. Please suggest...
  10. Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection

Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection: Hi guys, I'm a bit desperate here right now. *Confused I have the same problem that this guy over here. I'm running Windows 10 Home x64, version 1607, build 14393.0. I had to restore the PC to a previous point because I ****ed up some drivers. Then my AV (Bitdefender...