Windows 10: Turn On or Off Windows Update Restart Notifications in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Windows Update Restart Notifications in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Windows Update Restart Notifications in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Show More Windows Update Restart Notifications in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Windows Update Restart Notifications in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Windows Update Restart Notifications in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Show More Windows Update Restart Notifications in Windows 10

Windows Update keeps Windows 10 updated by downloading and installing the latest updates, drivers, and hotfixes released by Microsoft.

Sometimes it may be required to restart your PC to finish installing an update.

You can set the time in which you are most active on your device by adjusting active hours. Active Hours lets Windows know when you usually use this device. When a restart is necessary to finish installing an update, Windows won't automatically restart your device during active hours.

When a restart is scheduled, you can use a custom restart time to temporarily override active hours and schedule a custom time to finish installing the current update(s). When your PC restarts on the scheduled custom time, custom restart time will automatically be turned off, and Windows Update will only restart outside of active hours again. You can also manually turn off custom restart time at anytime if you change your mind.

Starting with Windows 10 build 15019, you can now enable to show more notifications about restarting you PC for updates to help keep you informed about scheduled restart times. See also: Providing customers with more choice and control in Creators Update

Starting with 19H1, when your device has an update requiring reboot (including new builds released) you will see Windows Update icon with orange indicator in the notification area (system tray) alerting you to restart your device.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18298 (19H1), when your device has an update requiring a reboot (including new builds released), you will see the Power button in the Start menu with orange indicator alerting you to restart your device.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off showing more Windows Update restart notifications for your Windows 10 PC.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to turn on or off show more update restart notifications.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Show More Windows Update Restart Notifications in Settings
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Show More Windows Update Restart Notifications using a REG file
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Show More Windows Update Restart Notifications in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Show More Windows Update Restart Notifications using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Restart Notifications for Windows Update

Turn On or Off Windows Update Restart Notifications in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Show More Windows Update Restart Notifications in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2. Click/tap on Windows Update on the left side, and click/tap on the Advanced options link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Perform the action below depending on what Windows 10 build you have:
    A) In builds before build 17704, turn On of Off (default) We'll show a reminder when we're going to restart. If you want to see more notifications about restarting, turn this on for what you want under Update Options. (see left screenshot below)

OR

B) In build 17704 and later, turn On of Off (default) Show a notification when your PC requires a restart to finish updating for what you want under Update notifications. (see right screenshot below)

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Show More Windows Update Restart Notifications using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings

RestartNotificationsAllowed DWORD (before build 17704)
    RestartNotificationsAllowed2 DWORD (build 17704 and later)

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Show More Windows Update Restart Notifications
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below step 4 below.

Turn_on_show_more_Windows_Update_restart_notifications_before_build_17704.reg

Download

OR

Turn_on_show_Windows_Update_restart_notifications_build_17704_and_later.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Show More Windows Update Restart Notifications
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below depending on what step 4 below.

Turn_off_show_more_Windows_Update_restart_notifications_before_build_17704.reg

Download

OR

Turn_off_show_Windows_Update_restart_notifications_build_17704_and_later.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Show More Windows Update Restart Notifications in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Four below.

*note If disabled, this option will gray out the We'll show a reminder when we're going to restart. If you want to see more notifications about restarting, turn this on setting in Option One, and override Option Two.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

3. In the right pane of Windows Update in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Turn off auto-restart notifications for update installations policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Show More Windows Update Restart Notifications
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Show More Windows Update Restart Notifications
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor.

8. Restart the computer to apply.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Enable or Disable Show More Windows Update Restart Notifications using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

SetAutoRestartNotificationDisable DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

*note If disabled, this option will gray out the We'll show a reminder when we're going to restart. If you want to see more notifications about restarting, turn this on setting in Option One, and override Option Two.

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Show More Windows Update Restart Notifications
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_show_more_auto-restart_notifications.reg

Download

3. To Disable Show More Windows Update Restart Notifications
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_show_more_auto-restart_notifications.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 13, 2017
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Installing Windows 7 on Coffee Lake

Just simply follow this guide. I install Windows 7 on 8700K several times for benching purpose / play some old games that don't work well with Windows 10. However you will not receive the lastest update from Microsoft and you will be annoy with processor not compatible notification *Laugh :laugh:. I suggest download and installing updates as many as you can and once you receive notification then just turn off the update. Good luck.

Enterprise24, Oct 26, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Oct 26, 2019
  5. How to turn off low disk space notification in Windows 10

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/faq-l...on-or-warning-in-windows-7-how-to-disable-etc
    While the link says Windows 7, it works the same in 10. I personally have been using the following;
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-4-windows-10
    This utility provides a simple method to change a lot of needless, irritating and annoying things about Windows.
    Cheers and fun! *Rockout :rockout: *Peace Turn On or Off Windows Update Restart Notifications in Windows 10 :peace:

lexluthermiester, Oct 26, 2019
  6. (SOLVED/CLOSED)looking for help with Android phone CONSTANT wireless signal notification

Yeah, thats not a solution she is interested in......I've suggested that course of action. Thanks though.

Just to clarify, I feel that there MUST be a step, or series of steps to turn off JUST the wireless notification sound. Thats what Im driving @ here.

jboydgolfer, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Windows Update Restart Notifications in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Update

2. turn off notification?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    turn off notification?: How to turn off Virus and threat protection notification? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-notification/e41c46a2-dd78-4e3e-9311-9c73534173f0
  3. turn off notification?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    turn off notification?: How to turn off Virus and threat protection notification? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-notification/e41c46a2-dd78-4e3e-9311-9c73534173f0
  4. turn off notification?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Unable to turn on/off notifications in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to turn on/off notifications in Windows 10: I'm trying to turn on notifications for Nearby Sharing, but "Get Notifications from this apps" shows an almost empty list Windows 10 2004 Admin account Focus Assist: Off https://i.imgur.com/0XJMrBH.png Any help much welcome 171341
  6. Windows firewall turned off notification

Windows firewall turned off notification: My question is how do i stop seeing this notification everytime i turn on my pc? It pops on like the 3rd minute on every boot and it's a little annoying and i know i got it turned off. [ATTACH]...
  7. Turn off notifications

Turn off notifications: How do I switch off the notifications in windows 10 on a laptop that pop up in the bottom right corner, it's like Gmail, YouTube alerts etc 112955
  8. Turning off Update Notifications in GPO?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Turning off Update Notifications in GPO?: I've been looking endlessly with no luck so hopefully someone here can give me a definitive answer. Preferably what I woud like is to completely disable the windows update center. I want it to neither automatically download, nor notify and ask to download updates to windows...
  9. Turn On or Off Game Mode Notifications in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Game Mode Notifications in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Game Mode Notifications in Windows 10 [img] Information Starting with Game Mode feature has been added that can optimize your Windows 10 PC for an improvement in game performance and best possible experience. When you turn on the Game Mode...
  10. Turn off certain windows 10 notifications

in Windows 10 Support
    Turn off certain windows 10 notifications: So when I turn on my computer I get the following notifications: 1) update adobe (no, dont want to) 2) activate OneDrive 3) update Kaspersky anti virus 4) turn on windows firewall 5) tips on saving battery power these are annoying. Is there a way to turn off certain...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn off windows restart notification

2. Windows 10 GPO Show a notification when your PC requires a restart to finish updating

3. RestartNotificationsAllowed2