Windows 10: Turn On or Off Windows Updates for Microsoft Products in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Windows Updates for Microsoft Products in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Windows Updates for Microsoft Products in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Receive Updates for Other Microsoft Products in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by mingle, Sep 4, 2016.

1. mingle Win User

Turn On or Off Windows Updates for Microsoft Products in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Windows Updates for Microsoft Products in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Receive Updates for Other Microsoft Products in Windows 10

In Windows 10, updates will be automatically downloaded and installed whenever theyre available. (Unless youre on a metered connection, in which case the updates wont download until you opt to get them.)

You can select to also receive updates for other Microsoft products like Office in Windows Update.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows on your Windows 10 PC.

Here's How:

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & Security icon.

2. Click/tap on Windows Update on the left side, and click/tap on the Advanced options link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Windows Updates for Microsoft Products in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Turn on (default) or off Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows for what you want under Update options. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Windows Updates for Microsoft Products in Windows 10 [​IMG]

4. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

mingle, Sep 4, 2016

2. Windows Update version 1703, help, please

How to turn off Windows Update for other Microsoft products. I turn it off but every time it turns on again after restart or something else and all updates for Microsoft office or OneDrive are downloading again and taking memory. What am I doing wrong?!

AnswerMeNoww, Sep 4, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Update turn off feature

Hi,

Microsoft make feature in window 10 that is Updates during my working hours windows update tries 10 to 15 time to update the windows but its fail what with windows 10 updates? why windows need updates? when the others prating system like linux and other
    apples operations works smother and no needed updates like windows 10 its very annoying for the user when windows update start and takes 45 minute to install and after fail of update installation its show unable to complete the update now undoing the changes
    back and its also take 30 minute for undoing what the is this? in previous versions of windows have the feature to turn off the updates but in windows 10 have not why? Microsoft brain decides that turn off update feature not be included you Microsoft who
    decide this. and you window 10 and you Microsoft that waste my lot of productive time on updates. is there any solution how i can delete the update module in windows 10 or any other solution how to permanently turn off the windows 10 updates feature.

*** Edited due to CoC violation ***

kashif-leo55, Sep 4, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Mike, *Smile

Unfortunately, it's common for settings to sometimes be reset back to default after a new build update.

Brink, Sep 4, 2016
  5. balubeto Win User
    In Windows 10 v1607, how do I manage this option completely through the group policies and the registry entries?

Thanks

Bye

balubeto, Oct 24, 2016
  6. JoeMcLutz Win User
    Hi!
    Yes, the same it's happening to me after Creators Update: I turn it off but, whenever they are updates, it downloads and install them.

I don't know what to do. -,-

Greetings,
    Joe

JoeMcLutz, Apr 12, 2017
  7. krugdenis Win User
    I have the same issue even after clean-install, not only upgade.

krugdenis, Apr 13, 2017
  8. JoeMcLutz Win User

Hi krugdenis!
    Same issue after clean install of Win 10 (Pro or Home?) 1703 build 15063.138?

I noticed in Settings>Windows Update a text after a red asterisk:
    " * You will be prompted to download updates, except when necessary for the proper operation of Windows. If so, those updates will be automatically downloaded ". (sorry I'm translating from my italian Win10 version by Google Translate)

I don't know if this explains this strange behaviour...

See you,
    Joe

JoeMcLutz, Apr 13, 2017
  9. krugdenis Win User
    Clean install of Win 10 Pro 1703 15063.138

krugdenis, Apr 13, 2017
  10. JoeMcLutz Win User
    Same version of mine (even if I reached to it by Windows Update).
    What's the meaning of a checkbox you can't in fact fully control? *Sad

JoeMcLutz, Apr 13, 2017
  11. guniu Win User
    Since I updated to Windows 1703 this option keeps enabling by itself. I noticed it installed a bunch of Office updates, so I disabled it and removed the updates. Few hours later it downloaded updates again, I went in to check and the option was back on. Microsoft is ****ing as over harder and harder.

EDIT: Actually I just noticed that every time it checks for updates (auto or manual) the setting auto enables itself. Test it for yourself. Disable the setting, check for updates and go back to see if it's enabled.

guniu, Apr 17, 2017
  12. oneLess Win User
    I use in my main autoit script (tool) these functions

must be compiled in autoit in both versions x86 and x64 because we have an HKLM there
    or just translate them in your favorite programming/scripting language.

when I use above functions Microsoft update did not auto-turn on again, tested on more computers.

the functions works on xp ,vista,7,8.x,10

I can provide compiled scripts (.exe), but this is a trust issue.

c

oneLess, Apr 17, 2017
  13. JoeMcLutz Win User

Hi guniu and thanks for feedback. I don't know if you can hide and select as "unwanted" these updates as you could do in Windows 8 'cause Microsoft keeps on changing the cards on the table, as usual...

Yes: I can fully confirm it and add that it flags to true before it completes the searching for updates (so I think Windows resets it as checked once you've pushed the button Check for new updates (I've italian version so I translated it).

JoeMcLutz, Apr 17, 2017
  14. omidsolo Win User
    No way to set from within Registry?

omidsolo, Nov 10, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm afraid the registry keys for this uses unique ID numbers per PC, so it doesn't seem feasible.

Brink, Nov 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Windows Updates for Microsoft Products in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Updates

2. Turning off Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turning off Windows Updates: My Computer has not been able to update windows for 2 years. Every time it tries to update, it blue screens with 'PAGED FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA' and then takes 40 minutes to repeat this blue screen 5 times, only for it to eventually give up and return me to as I was before...
  3. Turning off Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turning off Windows Updates: My Computer has not been able to update windows for 2 years. Every time it tries to update, it blue screens with 'PAGED FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA' and then takes 40 minutes to repeat this blue screen 5 times, only for it to eventually give up and return me to as I was before...
  4. Windows update is turned off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update is turned off: Hello, I recently went to microsoft store to download something when suddenly I encountered this error.I tried many ways shown in youtube, but I can't solve this problem. Please check if something is wrong on your side.Thank you!...
  5. Windows update is turned off

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update is turned off: Hello, I recently went to microsoft store to download something when suddenly I encountered this error.I tried many ways shown in youtube, but I can't solve this problem. Please check if something is wrong on your side.Thank you!...
  6. Windows 10 turn off Windows Update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 turn off Windows Update: Hello there, is there anyway I can unable/delete/deactivate Windows Update specially the update feature of "Upgrading to Windows 10 20H2". I use the version 1903, because my favorite games such as FIFA 11, 12 and 13 do not work on Windows 20H2, I've used it once and the games...
  7. Turn OFF windows 10 updates

Turn OFF windows 10 updates: Hi, I have a 14gb windows tablet and as soon as I install a fresh copy of windows, I have 6-8gb free on my install drive. Later on, as soon as I connect to the internet, it all gets filled up and my tablet starts to lag. I don't really know where the updates are...
  8. Turn Off Windows 10 Update?

Turn Off Windows 10 Update?: Had to uninstall latest Win 10 update on a more current computer. Battery being replaced on this computer. How Do I stop / turn off next Win 10 update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-windows-10-update/d6eea9bf-7493-4e7b-8dbe-b558d065061e
  9. Turn off windows updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Turn off windows updates?: How can I turn off windows updates? The new windows update settings page is extremely basic and appears to lack many options from windows 7. I am concerned about updates downloading and update checks being performed whilst gaming. I would not be happy with bandwidth or...
  10. Turn off Windows Updates for Microsoft Products... actually?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Turn off Windows Updates for Microsoft Products... actually?: Hi. It's quite annoying to sort up things after almost every Windows update. -,- Another issue it's happening me, like the object suggest it to you: I turn off the option for downloading and installing Other Microsoft Products (in the advanced options of Windows...