Windows 10: Turn On or Off Write Protection for Removable Drives in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Write Protection for Removable Drives in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Write Protection for Removable Drives in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Write Protection for Removable Drives in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Write Protection for Removable Drives in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Write Protection for Removable Drives in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Write Protection for Removable Drives in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Write Protection for Removable Drives in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Warning This tutorial is no longer valid since this setting has been removed from Settings in Window 10.

You can use this instead now: Allow or Deny Write Access to Removable Drives not Protected by BitLocker in Windows

Information Starting with BitLocker".

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off let users save files to removable drives that are not protected by BitLocker in Windows 10.

Note The Let users save files to removable drives that are not protected by BitLocker setting doesn't appear to be working yet in Windows 10 build 15014 for me though. While turned off, users were still able to save files to a removable drive (USB flash drive) that wasn't protected by BitLocker.

I have reported this problem in the Feedback Hub. If you would like to upvote this issue, then click here. Thank you.

Please post a reply with your experience using this new feature below. Turn On or Off Write Protection for Removable Drives in Windows 10 :)

Here's How:

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2. Click/tap on Removable drives on the left side, and turn on or off (default) Let users save files to removable drives that are not protected by BitLocker on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 8, 2017
  2. Grom0X Win User

How to Remove Write-Protection from an OEM USB Drive?

Please look at this Remove Write Protection from USB Drive in Windows 10/8/7

Grom0X, Oct 26, 2019
  3. yahanna Win User
    How to Remove Write-Protection from an OEM USB Drive?

I did all that. After I entered, "ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY", I didnt get a prompt stating that the write protect has been removed. But the command prompt stated that disk attributes cleared successfully.

But when I tried to format the USB drive I get a pop up window stating that its still write-protected. Do you have any other suggestions?

yahanna, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Danbobo Win User

Write Protection Removal

My laptop did not wake up from sleep. The drive where Windows is installed is locked. The volume is Write-Protected. Chkdsk cannot run to fix the drive. How can the drive be not write-protected or remove the write-protection?

Danbobo, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Rohit_R Win User
    The Disk Is Write Protected - How To Remove Write Protection

Hi Fernanda,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In regards to your concern, please help me with following questions:

• Is the Hard drive external or internal?
    You can try following steps and check if that fixes the issue:

1. Run Virus scan on the Hard Drive.
    2. Perform check disk commands on the Hard Disk to fix the Disk errors.
    Refer to this article.

Note: Remove all the external devices before performing check disk.

Data Loss Disclaimer:

While performing these steps there might be a risk of data loss. You may take a backup of the data before performing the steps.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Rohit Raina

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Rohit_R, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Write Protection for Removable Drives in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Write

2. How to turn off write protection?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off write protection?: I have a usb 3.0 that I accidently turned write protection on for because it said it needed write protection or something. I looked up how to turn on write protection which didn't help me at out and now I can't turn it off. I looked at every tutorial and none of them worked....
  3. How to turn off write protection?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off write protection?: I have a usb 3.0 that I accidently turned write protection on for because it said it needed write protection or something. I looked up how to turn on write protection which didn't help me at out and now I can't turn it off. I looked at every tutorial and none of them worked....
  4. How to turn off write protection?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives

Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives: I have been trying for several days to remove Write Protect on my Flash Drives.I have been trying the DOS Commands.I tried the DISKPART and none of the disk drives appear. I have also tried Windows 8.1, with the same results, but would like to stay on Windows 10.There are no...
  6. Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives: I have been trying for several days to remove Write Protect on my Flash Drives.I have been trying the DOS Commands.I tried the DISKPART and none of the disk drives appear. I have also tried Windows 8.1, with the same results, but would like to stay on Windows 10.There are no...
  7. Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Turn off write protection and make it stick.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Turn off write protection and make it stick.: I have a file which needs to be written to every time I make a change in the main program Rainlender2. Whenever I try to add something to the Rainlender calendar I get an error message that says it can't write to a particular file. I found that the file is write-protected so...
  9. remove write-protection

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    remove write-protection: hi i was having issues with steam downloading /updating games i would get corrupt disk / read /disk write errors all the time so i did some googling and found some posts about removing write-protection on the drive so i followed videos on how to do it but now my drive is...
  10. Remove write protection

Remove write protection: So my harddrive crashed, I replaced it with one from newegg.com however it had no operating system so I bought windows 10 at best buy, it comes on a 16gig usb 3.0 flash drive. I have it all running good it's just that I want to use this flash drive for personal things but I...