Windows 10: Turn Windows Features On or Off in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn Windows Features On or Off in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn Windows Features On or Off in Windows 10 How to Turn Windows Features On or Off in Windows 10 Some programs and features included with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by onlytanmoy, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Turn Windows Features On or Off in Windows 10

How to: Turn Windows Features On or Off in Windows 10

How to Turn Windows Features On or Off in Windows 10

Some programs and features included with Windows, such as Internet Information Services, must be turned on before you can use them. Certain other features are turned on by default, but you can turn them off if you dont use them.

Turning off a feature doesn't uninstall it from your PC or reduce the amount of hard drive space used by it. After you turn off a feature, you can turn it back on at any time.

This tutorial will show you how to turn Windows features on or off for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to turn Windows features on or off.

If Windows Features is empty or blank, then double check to make sure that the Windows Modules Installer service is enabled and set to Automatic.

Contents
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Windows Features from Windows Features
    • Option Two: To Turn On Windows Features in PowerShell
    • Option Three: To Turn Off Windows Features in PowerShell
    • Option Four: To Turn On Windows Features in Command Prompt
    • Option Five: To Turn Off Windows Features in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Windows Features from Windows Features
    1 Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Programs and Features icon.

2 Click/tap on the Turn Windows features on or off link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

This will open the C:\Windows\System32\OptionalFeatures.exe file.

Turn Windows Features On or Off in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3 If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

4 Turn on (check) or off (uncheck) the Windows features you want, and click/tap on OK when finished. (see screenshot below)

Some Windows features are grouped together in folders, and some folders contain subfolders with additional features.

= Indicates that you have the feature for the main folder turned on, but not all of the features in it's subfolders are turned on.

= Indicates that a feature, or features for a main folder and all subfolders, are turned on.

5 You may be prompted by Windows to restart the computer to finish turning a feature on or off.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On Windows Features in PowerShell
    1 Open an elevated PowerShell.

2 Type the command below you want to use into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. Make note of the FeatureName (ex: "Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64") for the disabled Windows Feature you want to enable. (see screenshot below)
    (without full details)
    Get-WindowsOptionalFeature –Online | Where-Object {$_.State –eq “Disabled”}

OR

(with full details)
    Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -FeatureName * –Online | Where-Object {$_.State –eq “Disabled”}

3 Type the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature –FeatureName "FeatureName" -All -Online

Substitute FeatureName in the command above with the actual FeatureName (ex: "Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64") from step 2 above you want to enable.

For example: Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature –FeatureName "Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64" -All -Online

4 If prompted to restart the computer, type Y, and press Enter when ready to do so. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Turn Off Windows Features in PowerShell
    1 Open an elevated PowerShell.

2 Type the command below you want to use into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. Make note of the FeatureName (ex: "Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64") for the enabled Windows Feature you want to disable. (see screenshot below)
    (without full details)
    Get-WindowsOptionalFeature –Online | Where-Object {$_.State –eq “Enabled”}

OR

(with full details)
    Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -FeatureName * –Online | Where-Object {$_.State –eq “Enabled”}

3 Type the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature –FeatureName "FeatureName" -Online

Substitute FeatureName in the command above with the actual FeatureName (ex: "Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64") from step 2 above you want to disable.

For example: Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature –FeatureName "Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64" -Online

4 If prompted to restart the computer, type Y, and press Enter when ready to do so. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Turn On Windows Features in Command Prompt
    To see more usage options for the DISM command, see: Enable or Disable Windows Features Using DISM - Microsoft

1 Open an elevated Command Prompt.

2 Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. Make note of the FeatureName (ex: "Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64") for the disabled Windows Feature you want to enable. (see screenshot below)
    DISM /online /get-features /format:table | find "Disabled"

3 Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    Dism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:"FeatureName" -All

Substitute FeatureName in the command above with the actual FeatureName (ex: "Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64") from step 2 above you want to enable.

For example: Dism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:"Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64" -All

4 If prompted to restart the computer, type Y when ready to do so. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Turn Off Windows Features in Command Prompt
    To see more usage options for the DISM command, see: Enable or Disable Windows Features Using DISM - Microsoft

1 Open an elevated Command Prompt.

2 Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. Make note of the FeatureName (ex: "Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64") for the enabled Windows Feature you want to disable. (see screenshot below)
    DISM /online /get-features /format:table | find "Enabled"

3 Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:"FeatureName"

Substitute FeatureName in the command above with the actual FeatureName (ex: "Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64") from step 2 above you want to disable.

For example: Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:"Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64"

4 If prompted to restart the computer, type Y when ready to do so. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

onlytanmoy, Sep 1, 2015
  2. ArtHenry Win User

Turn Windows features on or off Windows 10

Nothing has worked, I had to go-back to the 16093 ver, to try to down load the updates, it downloads

but is very slow, and when the 16199 is installed it restarts, and does not complete the restart,

and goes back to the last version. and then updates all over again, goes in a circle.

I need a ISO I can download for 16199 and am unable to find a 'good' site to do so. So I can do a clean install... hate to..

ArtHenry, Sep 1, 2015
  3. Marby Rey Win User
    Turn Windows features on or off Windows 10

Hi Art,

One possible cause of this issue is corrupted system files. Just for clarification, are you getting an error message when you tried downloading the files? Would it be possible to send us a screenshot?

For now, we suggest that you use the SFC tool and DISM to repair corrupted system files. You may refer to this
    Wiki article created by ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP) for the steps.

Marby Rey, Sep 1, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn Windows Features On or Off in Windows 10

I'm glad they can help onlytanmoy. *Smile

Brink, Sep 1, 2015
  5. Jhawk55 Win User
    Hi Brink, Is it safe to turn off "internet Explorer 11" feature if I am only using Edge? Thanks John

Jhawk55, Sep 28, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello John, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

I wouldn't recommend to turn off Internet Explorer since so many other features in Windows use IE as well. Turning off IE could cause issues with them.

Brink, Sep 28, 2015
  7. reece86 Win User
    ok, i'm about to punch my laptop, trying to turn on media feature so I can get iCloud 5.1 for windows to install but have not media features option, how else can I turn them on? thanks

reece86, Jan 30, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 30, 2016
  9. reece86 Win User
    thanks so much *Smile will download now

reece86, Feb 1, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Feb 1, 2016
  11. Hey, could someone, for love of god, print a standard windows features window? If possible, all expanded? I've mess up with mine and now my right click menu in google chrome have a huge delay.
    Thanks

ThomasCalabrese, Mar 9, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Thomas, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you like, you could do a system restore using a restore point dated before this happened to undo it.

System Restore Windows 10

Brink, Mar 9, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

I've updated the screenshot in the tutorial to include the expanded parts as well. They're all the defaults. *Smile

Brink, Mar 9, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Mar 9, 2016
  15. bima1997 Win User
    Hello Brink,

Is there any way to enable all of the features automatically via Windows 10 DVD?

Thanks in advance

bima1997, Jan 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Turn Windows Features On or Off in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Features Off

2. Turn Windows features on or off error:

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Turn Windows features on or off error:: Selected to turn on Windows Hypervisor Platform in the Windows features and by screen is stuck on Searching for required files. What should i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-windows-features-on-or-off-error/15e359b1-ef43-4713-bbdf-4364f2d4f56d
  3. Turn Windows Features on or off?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turn Windows Features on or off?: When I go to turn on some of the Windows features and click "Ok" they automatically turn themselves back off. And vice versa. Any way to stop this from happening? Am I doing something wrong?...
  4. Turn Windows Features On or Off

Turn Windows Features On or Off: Some time ago, I messed with the option of turning Windows features on or off. I was wondering what the default features are, and maybe which ones I should have on. If it helps, I have a FLEX 4-1470. Thanks....
  5. Turn windows features on or off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn windows features on or off: Every time i try to play this one game one my computer a message pops up. “An app on your PC needs the following Windows feature: Collecting feature detail.” Under it shows “-> Install this feature”(which is gray and not clickable) and “-> Skip this installation”(thats blue...
  6. Permission to turn Windows Features On and Off

Permission to turn Windows Features On and Off: I need to turn off Isolated User Mode,but when i open OptionalFeatures.exe,it gives this message. Windows cannot access the specified device,path or file.You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. Any help?...
  7. turn windows features on or off .... features problems .......

turn windows features on or off .... features problems .......: no option …… here what can I do ???[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-windows-features-on-or-off-features-problems/a096cbff-d166-4258-aca7-276e271d300b
  8. Turn Windows Features on or off Blank

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Turn Windows Features on or off Blank: Trying to run Age of Empires 3 and getting error code: 0x800F0831. Apparently I need to access Turn Windows Features on or off to fix this problem, but it comes up blank no matter what I try. Windows version is 10.0.16299. Thanks....
  9. Media Features in "Turn windows features on and off"

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Media Features in "Turn windows features on and off": Hello, I will go straight to the point here guys, I need WMP and I have installed Windows 10 Pro N recently (since my university gives free keys) I went to the windows download section in the website and downloaded the Media features Pack! The problem is, after I...
  10. Problem with "Turn Windows features on and off"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Problem with "Turn Windows features on and off": Hello ! In order to play an old game, I need to activate the DirectPlay feature. I tried to do it through the graphical interface "Turn Windows features on and off" but it failed (and it is the same whatever the feature I try to modify). I tried to do it in command lines...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. optionalfeatures.exe requires elevated permissions

2. turn windows feature on or off

3. what windows 10 features to turn on

4. windows features turn on or off