Windows 10: Turning Cortana off while being able to search for My apps/files?

Discus and support Turning Cortana off while being able to search for My apps/files? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I would like to add some things about my pc I am also running a Samsung 960 EVO m.2 500gb as my OS drive. I am basically having the problem stated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by apg1981, Jul 18, 2017.

1. apg1981 Win User

Turning Cortana off while being able to search for My apps/files?

Hi I would like to add some things about my pc I am also running a Samsung 960 EVO m.2 500gb as my OS drive. I am basically having the problem stated in my title. This is a recently built pc and pretty much everything is working the way I want it to save for this search function. I want to be able to turn on Cortana and still be able to search for my apps pics files and all my drives.

Normally you would just type in steam discord or whatever name of the app your looking for would show up in windows search and there it is nothing shows up besides just windows basic options. I am using Windows 10 PRO OEM and used GPEDIT to turn off Cortana. I have restarted tried messing with the indexing but I remember all the changes I made so I can revert it if nec. Any help would be appreciated and if any more information is needed pls let me know.

Also this happens whether or not they are installed on my EVO OS drive or not.

:)

apg1981, Jul 18, 2017

2. How to completely remove Cortana from the entire system?

I am able to move or rename the Cortana folder so it doesn't automatically open, but then I can't type into my search box at all. Weird thing...it also prevents me from being able to type a comment into someone's post on facebook. I know it's from disabling
    cortana because when I set it back to the way it was, all of this starts working again. I have a new Dell laptop (windows 10) if that makes a difference. How can I turn off Cortana, or remove, or whatever, without it disabling my ability to use my search
    box, etc?

ValerieDoReMiB, Jul 18, 2017
  3. PCOwner Win User
    Windows search keeps popping up whilst two finger scrolling on HP laptop.

Even when two & three finger gestures have been turned off, I still have the Search/Cortana box pop-up far to frequently. I can recreate the unwanted Search/Cortana pop-up at anytime on my Lenovo Yoga laptop with its Synaptics touchpad. I place two
    fingers anywhere on the touchpad and then left click. Bam! The pop-up instantly appears, every time, and for no valid reason. The pop-up occurs in spite of all touchpad gestures being unchecked (turned off) and Cortana turned off.

My assessment is either...

1. Win10 has a built-in response to the gesture of two fingers and a left click and lacks a control for this.

or

2. Win10 is responding to this as a three finger gesture in spite of the three finger gesture being off.

PCOwner, Jul 18, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Here's my limited understanding of how Cortana search works and its limitations, which I have posted before.

1. Cortana search only finds things which have been indexed.
    2. It will not find any form of executable file by design
    3. You cannot turn web search off completely
    4. When you type sthg in the search bar (e.g. Windows key + S) look at the top and mouse over the top row of icons and then click Filters to see how to focus your search.

Is teamspeak visible in the Start Menu? I've seen that sort of problem reported before.

Are you saying it won't find any universal apps such as Photos, Groove, Store etc?

You say you have changed some locations in Indexing Options. Take care, as whilst adding things is perfectly valid, you can stop search working in Settings (worth checking that works - i.e. quickly (= indexed).

If you want a start menu search that works properly and is much more configurable, use Classic Shell start menu (free). Also handles more deeply nested Start Menus correctly (Win 10's doesn't).

dalchina, Jul 18, 2017
  5. apg1981 Win User
    No it finds the microsoft installed programs such as paint and notepad but if i try to search for my own video files or desktop programs yes it wont find those. Also Teamspeak is in my start menu. Alot of microsoft installed programs i do not have set as default anymore like windows likes to do.

If I must I will just try classic shell as you suggested

btw thank you for the help .

apg1981, Jul 18, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Finding results in own docs:
    1. they must be indexed
    2. Example: I have a test document on H: containing text aardvark. To have that displayed as a search result in Cortana (Windows key + S) I type aardvark in the search box, then click the icon 'Find results in documents' at the top of Cortana's window.

Does that work for you for one of yours?

Secondly, if Cortana can't find your document, what happens if you launch file explorer and use its search box?
    If search doesn't work then either, it's nothing to do with Cortana, but is to dowith whether search is working for you and whether your document is indexed.

An easy way to check if Windows search is working is to open Indexing Options (Control Panel), note the number of indexed items, then create a new file in an indexed location and check the number indexed increments.

Does that work for you?

I don't know why Teamspeak isn't found if search is working, but as i said there have been other reports of people struggling with failure to find items in the start menu. Try the above first.

- sorry, don't really understand this.

1. You can't set a program as default from within a program.
    2. There is a tutorial in the Tutorial section detailing the different ways to set defaults.
    3. Some have found their chosen defaults being overridden on restart, and there are threads on that if that is your problem.

Just compared searching using Cortana and Classic Shell start menu for a program I've installed called
    Fileminimizer

Searching for minimiz with Cortana didn't find it even when I clicked 'Find results in apps'
    - whereas with Classic Shell start menu, mini or minim offered it as top result.

Cortana requires you to start with the first character. Using *minim doesn't help.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Turning Cortana off while being able to search for My apps/files? - Similar Threads - Turning Cortana off

2. Cortana not able to open apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana not able to open apps: When I ask cortana to open some apps it says "I'm sorry, but I can't help with that.". https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-not-able-to-open-apps/97752b74-d0df-483a-b594-6c69b399a563
  3. Cortana not able to open apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana not able to open apps: When I ask cortana to open some apps it says "I'm sorry, but I can't help with that.". https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-not-able-to-open-apps/97752b74-d0df-483a-b594-6c69b399a563
  4. Browser and App Control Being Turned Off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Browser and App Control Being Turned Off: After the latest Creators Update May 2020, my computers running Windows 10 have been starting up with a yellow exclamation mark on the 'Windows Security' icon. When I click on it, it opens the Windows Security main screen showing 'Browser and App Control' as turned off. I...
  5. not able to type in Cortana search bar

in Cortana
    not able to type in Cortana search bar: I am unable to enter any text into the Cortana Search bar. When I see if its having a problem in the task manager it's not even appearing which makes me think its not loading on start. I am able to track down the windows search function and have tried to rest that but it is...
  6. turn off cortana

in Cortana
    turn off cortana: Since 1903 update moments ago in windows 10 that annoying, useless Cortana is back on. How to turn OFF cortana yet keep the search button/bar. Or, even better yet, how to uninstall version 1903...
  7. Turn off or uninstall Cortana

in Cortana
    Turn off or uninstall Cortana: MS keeps telling me I can't uninstall or permanently disable Cortana - an application I do not need, never asked to install. But even if I tell it to go be quiet and stop trying to interfere in my life, sooner or later it pops up in the middle of working on something,...
  8. turn off cortana

turn off cortana: Just updated to Win10 v14366. How do I turn off Cortana? 53946
  9. How to turn off Cortana auto web search ?

How to turn off Cortana auto web search ?: When I type in cortana to search my PC, for ex: task manager..I get a stack of web site results from the web also. How do I disable the web search option on cortana , to just search PC ? If I want to search web I will use google.*Smilethanks 15063.138 / 1703 win10 82150
  10. Turn off Cortana

Turn off Cortana: I want to turn off Cortana but it is not listed in the Local Group Policy. 104369