Windows 10: Turning Off IE11

Discus and support Turning Off IE11 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I installed Google Chrome and made it my default browser. Everything worked fine. I decided to switch off IE11 in "Control Panel > Programs >Programs... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by PeterAstle, May 14, 2016.

1. Turning Off IE11

I installed Google Chrome and made it my default browser.
    Everything worked fine.
    I decided to switch off IE11 in "Control Panel > Programs >Programs & Features > Turn Windows features on or off" as I don't use it.
    Then all hyperlinks in all my Office 2010 documents of all types failed to open with the error message: "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."
    I tried various fixes I read about but nothing worked.
    In frustration I switched IE11 back on again as it was its deactivation which appeared to cause the problem.
    Everything was then immediately back to normal and Google Chrome was still set as my default browser!

So is there any point in switching off IE11 when one does not use it? I am not sure if there are any advantages in doing so, but clearly a big disadvantage for me.

:)

PeterAstle, May 14, 2016

2. uninstall ie11

i cant uninstall IE11 on windows 10 and its not happening. I uncheck the unchecked ie11 in the 'turn off windows features on and off section' but doesnt work as ie11 is still availabe. i need IE66. please help

omarsharif222, May 14, 2016
  3. downloading ie 11 on win 10

You can't delete IE11.

Control Panel | Programs and Features | Turn Windows featurs on or off. Check the box for IE11.

Bruce Hagen, May 14, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Turning Off IE11

Unless IE 11 is causing havoc in your computer, which isn't in your case, there is absolutely no point in turning it off.
    Just leave it alone and don't use it.
    There will be no conflicts between your Chrome and IE11. They will co-exist without issues.

davidhk, May 14, 2016
  5. Thanks for your reply. I will follow your advice and leave well alone.

PeterAstle, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Turning Off IE11

1. Turning Off IE11 - Similar Threads - Turning Off IE11

2. turn off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    turn off: Is it okay to turn off laptop sometimes by power button? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off/6a1afe96-60c8-4bc1-90ab-fdce5e55ddcf
  3. IE11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    IE11: I E 11 has disappeared from my desk top PC Nothing I do will reinstall it It does not show up anywhere. Can anyone please advise? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ie11/b33fc2b1-98da-45ba-b3af-ccd2a9a53d70
  4. turn off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    turn off: how do I go back to my regular picture and turn off paint? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off/ae72a602-5fc5-48ce-8150-ba8c396566dc
  5. IE11

in Windows 10 Customization
    IE11: where is IE11 on my PC? cannot find it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ie11/25759eaa-d976-4be1-88d6-9ae0a057782f
  6. IE11

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    IE11: I went to Bonaire and tried to open Pandora on my laptop, got an error message "Pandora is not available in your area" now that i'm home I'm getting the same error message. I tried reseting IE11 it worked once and now it dosent....
  7. ie11

in Browsers and Email
    ie11: I installed win10 preview 10162,everything fine until I noticed no bookmarks/favorites folder or I wasn't looking in the right places(s). On the start/all programs /windows accessories there was ie so I added it to the desktop clicked on it to preview my favorites and now I...
  8. IE11 and PayPal

in Browsers and Email
    IE11 and PayPal: I was placing an order using IE11 under Windows 10. When I clicked on the link to use PayPal, the tab changed the name and the circle spun and then the screen stayed where it was. I tried several times with the same results. I switched over to Firefox (my default browser...
  9. IE11 Problem...

in Browsers and Email
    IE11 Problem...: OK, here's a strange one: Upgrade my wife's machine from 7 to 10. Upgrade seems to go perfectly. Enable Administrator account (because we ALL log in as administrator around here, it's just easier) and all her settings, etc. are there... ...EXCEPT, when I run IE11, the...
  10. IE11 Issue

in Browsers and Email
    IE11 Issue: Need a little help. When I go on MSN, IE11 shows gray boxes where pictures go. It seems to to be only happening on my account. I created another user account, and IE11 displays properly on MSN. Also, Store will not open on my account but opens on the newly created...