Windows 10: Turning off language updates ONLY?

Discus and support Turning off language updates ONLY? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello! I just upgraded and I'm really happy with Windows 10, except for this one thing. I constantly get these messages that say "something... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TheoEQ, Jul 18, 2018.

1. TheoEQ Win User

Turning off language updates ONLY?

Hello!

I just upgraded and I'm really happy with Windows 10, except for this one thing.

I constantly get these messages that say "something happened, we couldn't install a feature" or something to that effect.

Windows is trying to install some language/typing updates, and then it fails. The thing is, I don't even want these updates. I don't wish to turn off updates as a whole, nor do I wish to turn off the sound notifying me of updates. I can't find a way to turn off these updates in particular, although their nature is one I consider absolutely unnecessary. The thing is, I am a music producer. I want to keep my system up-to-date but I don't want to be constantly interrupted by the sound of this completely redundant error message (something that happens several times per session). On a side note, I found that muting the system volume doesn't seem to affect the notification sounds, there isn't any other instance in the mixer that affects this sound either.

Isn't there a way to simply stop Windows from trying to perform this update?

*edit*

At the moment of writing this I am not sure if this problem actually pertains to all optional updates. There are other optional updates in the list, however previously I only noticed the language ones, not to mention I have a hard time imagining Windows would force Internet Explorer 11, since we have Edge now.

:)

TheoEQ, Jul 18, 2018

2. microsoft photos language

Hi Magda,

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Type settings in the search box.
    • Click on time and language.
    • Click on region and language.
    • Click on add a language.
    • Select the particular language and then make it as default by right clicking on the language and click on as default.

Please post back with the updated status to assist you further.

Thank you.

Amrita Bhattacharjee, Jul 18, 2018
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Windows 8.1 update changed the language, can't change back

Maybe, these will help... it seems it is a common enough problem.

Language packs are no longer available after you upgrade to Windows 8.1

And, sort of the same here --> Add a language or keyboard

Quote from above MS web page:

Spoiler Download and install language packs
    You'll need to download the language pack if you want to make a language your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps).
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click a language that says Language pack available underneath, and then tap or click Options.
    • Tap or click Download. The download process might take a while, depending on your PC and the size of the language pack.
      If you want to make this your display language, see the next section "Change your Windows display language".
    Change your Windows display language
    To change your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps), first add a language, download and install the language pack, and then follow these steps.
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click the language that you want to set as your display language.
    • Tap or click Set as primary to move the language to the top of the list. If the language can become your Windows display language, you'll see Will be display language after next sign-in appear under the language.
    • Sign out and then sign back in to finish.
    And here is some more info --> Add Language Packs to Windows

95Viper, Jul 18, 2018
  4. Turning off language updates ONLY?

Flyfisherman, Jul 18, 2018
Thema:

Turning off language updates ONLY?

1. Turning off language updates ONLY? - Similar Threads - Turning off language

2. Language switching overlay how to turn off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Language switching overlay how to turn off: When using alt shift to change language inputs, there's will be such an overlay on the right side of the screen, near the medium but slightly below that, that is pretty much the same when I click on the language icon in taskbar. The overlay works also, if I keep pressing down...
  3. How to turn off changing language popup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to turn off changing language popup?: [ATTACH] this popup is very annoying, I know that if I will use Shift + alt this popup will not appear, but it is not a solution, I want fully disable it without removing second language...
  4. How to turn off language shortcut key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to turn off language shortcut key: How to turn off language shortcut key ? Because when I play team building PUBG game, I often press this switch Thank you very much ! [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-off-language-shortcut-key/40379a7e-b0f2-43f8-8335-ba634d4637be
  5. How to turn off Language switch bar

How to turn off Language switch bar: Hello! After last November update, when switching languages, I've started to get this bar with all languages i use (switch between) on the side of the screen. Why microsoft just adding stuff that I don't need and there is no instruction how to remove this trash! So...
  6. How to turn off Language switch bar

How to turn off Language switch bar: Hello! After last November update, when switching languages, I've started to get this bar with all languages i use (switch between) on the side of the screen. Why microsoft just adding stuff that I don't need and there is no instruction how to remove this trash! So...
  7. Turning 2.4GHz off/ Turning ONLY 5GHz On?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Turning 2.4GHz off/ Turning ONLY 5GHz On?: I don't want to "puck" anything up but I want to make sure that my combo router/ modem only uses the 5GHz (faster) band. I don't have any legacy items (I think) that only works with 2.4GHz so I want to see what happens if I force the 5GHz band to be the only one. I think I...
  8. turn off automatic updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    turn off automatic updates: automatic updates in my laptop makes my browsing speed very low. how can I turn off automatic windows update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-automatic-updates/74d6a85a-409f-4eee-b806-5abd72a9471a
  9. Turn off numlock for laptop keyboard ONLY

Turn off numlock for laptop keyboard ONLY: Recently, I bought a numpad keyboard extension for my laptop for ease of data entry. However, I forgot that activating the numlock means the laptop numpad is activated as well. Is there any way to turn on the numlock only for the extension or disable the numlock function...
  10. Turn Language Bar OFF (hide it)

in Windows 10 Support
    Turn Language Bar OFF (hide it): Hello, I'd like to hide the language bar, as I did with Win7. Currently I have 2 keyboard layouts installed (German, which I use and English) My display language is English, and it seems I cannot remove the English keyboard layout (is it true? suggestions?) Under Win7, when...