Windows 10: Turning off Scroll Lock / Num Lock flashing

Discus and support Turning off Scroll Lock / Num Lock flashing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Apparently Windows 10, and I don't know for how long before that, has had a feature that when you change Scroll Lock / Num Lock key settings there is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Windy Gamer, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Turning off Scroll Lock / Num Lock flashing

Apparently Windows 10, and I don't know for how long before that, has had a feature that when you change Scroll Lock / Num Lock key settings there is a notification that flashes on the screen. I have never used these keys and so have never noticed this annoyance before.

However, due to an update in VirtualBox which saves and restores the state of these keys between virtual machines and the Windows Host, I now see these notifications and they are very very annoying. Especially if you are capturing a screen shot.

Turning off Scroll Lock / Num Lock flashing [​IMG]

As you can see from this screenshot of a virtual machine window, it's trashed by the windows 10 overlay. It took me sometime to prove to myself that the problem is the interaction between the VM in virtualbox and Windows 10. I'm not suggesting that this is VirtualBox fault, since someone probably wants the key settings saved / restored in the VM. And I'm not saying that Windows 10 should never display this, since some folks probably love this feature.

But I need to turn it off.

I've looked through the settings and can't see a way to turn this off.
    Can anyone show me how to turn off this display in Windows 10?

Thanks much,
    wg

:)

Windy Gamer, Mar 13, 2016

2. Have num lock turned off when computer boots

The num lock was turned on with the latest unscheduled Windows 10 update. I was puzzled that my password didn't work until I noticed the light was
    on.

How do I change the settings so the num lock, scroll lock, and caps lock settings are
    off on bootup? Also how do I permanently disable the useless num lock, scroll lock, and caps lock keys?

RichardTonsing, Mar 13, 2016
  3. Number lock does not stay on in Windows 10

Hello Harkanwar,

Thank you for your reply.

I have already set the BIOS to lock the number keypad on both computers, sorry if I did not make myself clear on this point.

I can confirm that the sequence of boot is that when the machine is first started the Num Lock on the keyboard is lit. I then get the new Windows Logo and the light stays on. After the windows logo has booted all three lights on the keyboard (Num Lock, Caps
    Lock and Scroll Lock) flash on and then they all go off. I then get the time and date screen and have to press the Num Lock to enter my password (PIN).

Regards

Rod Styles, Mar 13, 2016
  4. Turning off Scroll Lock / Num Lock flashing

Seriously? Nobody have a clue or interest in this forum? Odd

Windy Gamer, Mar 21, 2016
  5. I can think only about Toggle keys in Easy of Access Center and an option to Use text or visual alternatives for sounds.

TairikuOkami, Mar 21, 2016
  6. Thanks, but that does not change anything. Virtualbox still causes these things still flash on the screen even though I turned these off.
    Also it's very confusing that there are two panels for this stuff that don't have the same options. This is the one I found first.

Here are my settings:

Windy Gamer, Mar 21, 2016
  7. AndreTen Win User
    Are you sure, that this isn't the Virtualbox setting?

I have no idea (admit), but it doesn't look like Windows warning.

AndreTen, Mar 21, 2016
  8. Turning off Scroll Lock / Num Lock flashing

I checked over at the VirtualBox forums and there is no setting. And it's a new feature in VB to save/ restore the setting of Caps / scroll / num lock keys. I don't mind VB doing the save/restore - sounds like the right thing. I mind not being able to turn off the Windows 10 disfigurement / annoyance on the screen.
    You know the odd thing? I'm sitting here on a windows 10 system and pecking the Caps / Scroll / Num lock keys dos not cause a flash of those markers as above. Something strange is going on. This is another system not the one I was using. I have more work to do.

Windy Gamer, Mar 22, 2016
  9. AndreTen Win User
    It may be some notification program from computer manufacturer. I remember Dells one had fancy notification app.

Still, I'm just guessing. Never seen that in Windows.

AndreTen, Mar 22, 2016
  10. Not VBs problem. It's Logitech Unifying Software, Set Point 6.67. After uninstalling that from my Windows 10 system, I no longer get the nonsense flashes.
    This software is required to "Train" unifying receivers" which allow keyboards and mice to use the same USB stub, but once you train the stub, you can remove the software and get a pure Windows 10 experience. Just thought you'd like to know.

Windy Gamer, Mar 22, 2016
  11. AndreTen Win User
    Great! I'm sure, someone else will find this tip, when in need.

AndreTen, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Turning off Scroll Lock / Num Lock flashing

1. Turning off Scroll Lock / Num Lock flashing - Similar Threads - Turning off Scroll

2. turn off on screen indicators for caps, num and scroll lock toggling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    turn off on screen indicators for caps, num and scroll lock toggling: I can't turn off the on screen pop up indicator for the caps lock and othersI have tried searching myself but they're outdated and I can't find the setting parts they mentionit is a self built PC so any advice relating to Lenovo is uselessI particularly want this setting...
  3. turn off on screen indicators for caps, num and scroll lock toggling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    turn off on screen indicators for caps, num and scroll lock toggling: I can't turn off the on screen pop up indicator for the caps lock and othersI have tried searching myself but they're outdated and I can't find the setting parts they mentionit is a self built PC so any advice relating to Lenovo is uselessI particularly want this setting...
  4. turn off on screen indicators for caps, num and scroll lock toggling

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to turn off on screen notification for caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off on screen notification for caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock: I can not find where in the setting to turn off this notifcation. everytime i hit caps lock it alt tabs my games and it really annoying. Please help...
  6. How to turn off on screen notification for caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off on screen notification for caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock: I can not find where in the setting to turn off this notifcation. everytime i hit caps lock it alt tabs my games and it really annoying. Please help...
  7. Num Lock randomly turns itself off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Num Lock randomly turns itself off: This happens multiple times a day where I will go to use the Num Pad and find that Num Lock has turned itself off. I have to turn it back on almost every time, even though I never turn it off. Why does this happen?...
  8. Turn Num Lock permanently on

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turn Num Lock permanently on: When I'm typing, I make heavy use of the number pad, and very often use the / key. Because of this, I frequently hit the Num Lock key by mistake, and then find myself in an unfamiliar part of the document because I hit Pg Down or Pg Up when trying to type in a number. Is...
  9. Num lock keeps turning off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Num lock keeps turning off: My Num Lock keeps turning off every time I turn PC on from Lock/Sleep/Hibernate/Restart/Start. This is really annoying. I've looked everywhere with no success. I have Acer Predator 15....
  10. Caps lock, num lock, scroll lock lights no longer function

in Windows 10 Support
    Caps lock, num lock, scroll lock lights no longer function: Hello! Since the most recent build of W-10 (9879), my caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock lights do not function on either computer on which I have W-10 installed (a desktop with a USB keyboard and a laptop with an integrated keyboard). The keys still work to correctly...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. num lock caps lock and scroll lock lights on my computer they all keep flashing when i turn on my comp

2. number lock on and scroll lock flashing

3. flashing lights windows 10 numbers lock capital lock scroll lock fn lock are all flashing. why? 2020

4. lenovo keyboard num lock caps lock and scroll lock keep going on and off,
  5. num lock scroll lock turning on and off,
  6. alienware m17xr2 scroll and num lock key flashing but boots up to windows ok