Windows 10: Turning off secure boot/fast boot required?

Discus and support Turning off secure boot/fast boot required? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; As I get ready to do a clean install of 10074 I am curious about the need to disable secure boot and fast boot options. If I do disable secure boot do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gramps, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Gramps Win User

Turning off secure boot/fast boot required?

As I get ready to do a clean install of 10074 I am curious about the need to disable secure boot and fast boot options. If I do disable secure boot do I need to enable legacy boot?

I have had limited success with previous installs to a 2nd hard drive and the problems that arose always seem related to dual booting.

In one instance I did a clean install of 10061 and had left secure boot enabled. In order to get dual boot working I had to disable secure boot, and upon rebooting I needed to change it back to secure. I then made Win 8.1 the default boot and then Win 10 would never boot from the menu, it would just take me back to the boot menu and I could boot into Win 8.1.

Additionally I would like to thank all the members who freely share their time and knowledge on the forums. Such a valuable resource!

:)

Gramps, Apr 28, 2015

2. Unable to fresh install windows 10 1703 in UEFI secure boot mode

Update: Windows 10 dont install with secure boot on need to go bios setup supervisor password and turn off secure boot, fast boot works though, can turn secure boot back on after install

Katie_c_1988, Apr 28, 2015
  3. Laptop wont boot without turning off secure boot and fast boot

Couldnt even boot into startup repair !!!! If i turn off the secure boot and fast boot then computer shows no problems at all.

Marcu5fen1x1997, Apr 28, 2015
  4. Turning off secure boot/fast boot required?

Hi Gramps,

Yes, disable 'Secure Boot' & 'Fast Boot' than change from UEFI to Legacy

AthanasianCreed, May 9, 2015
  5. Take a look at this tutorial (the tutorial section is always a good place to start when looking for solutions)
    Windows 10 - Dual Boot with Windows 7 or Windows 8 - Windows 10 Forums

Slartybart, May 9, 2015
  6. Gramps Win User
    Thanks for the responses. The issues I had seemed to be related to having sync on in 8.1 and then 10 would grab that info upon installation using my Microsoft account. In the end I turned off sync in 8.1. I disconnected my primary hard-drive, booted from the 10 USB ISO and installed on the 2nd drive. I did install 10 using only a local account which forces sync off. So far so good, 10074 has been working flawlessly, a couple of minor issues related to Win 10. I just swap drives before booting at this point and both systems are working.

I may try to set up the dual boot but I am happy with the way things are working now. Thanks again!

Gramps, May 9, 2015
  7. Good to hear and thanks for posting what you did and how you plan on operating your machine with Win10.

You might want to feed MS the information - there were issue with sync before, so it's not surprising that you ran into some issues.
    There more info MS gets on troublesome installations, the better Win10 will be coming out of the gate.

Slartybart, May 10, 2015
  8. Gramps Win User

I did submit the info to MS. I did receive another reply from topgundcp but the message isn't here on the forum. It provided this info on how to go ahead and set-up for dual-boot:
    It is very
    easy to setup dual boot if you want:

1. Turn off secure boot
    2. From
    Windows 8.1. Make a backup of your BCD from Admin command prompt:
    Type:
    bcdedit /export backupBCD
    3. Shutdown and connect your Windows 10 drive,
    reboot to Windows 8.1 (Assuming you have Windows 8.1 connect to first sata port
    and 1st in boot priority).
    4. Open Disk Management and take a note of the
    drive letter of your Windows 10
    5. From Admin command prompt: bcdboot
    X:\Windows where X is the drive letter of your Windows 10
    6. Reboot, you
    should have the dual boot menu.

I will give this a try later on today and report back.

Gramps, May 10, 2015
  9. genet Win User
    I do not change the default UEFI firmware settings, when I installed Windows 10.

Turning off secure boot/fast boot required? [​IMG]

genet, May 10, 2015
  10. Gramps Win User
    I got dual boot working per topgundcp's instructions. So far everything seems fine, although the boot time to the OS select screen is rather slow. I may attempt to turn secure boot back on, I don't believe at this point it would have a negative impact. My only other concern at this point would be what will happen when the next Win 10 update hits. Hoping that if I install it as an update it won't screw with my 8.1 installation. Time will tell! It's been an experience dealing with Win 10 but I am having fun...most days.

Gramps, May 10, 2015
  11. I never have either and haven't had any problem whatsoever. Dual boot has always been set up for me automatically when installing on a different partition.

cyberrufus, May 10, 2015
  12. Gramps Win User
    I was installing to a 2nd drive. I still think sync was the cause of much of the problem. At this point, secure boot is enabled and dual-boot is working as it should.

Gramps, May 11, 2015
  13. Turning off secure boot/fast boot required?

Hi, when installing Windows 10 on a 64-bit UEFI GPT-partitioned computer, is there a way to add Secure Boot keys (if it is even possible to generate them in the first place) for my USB disk/controller so UEFI Secure Boot will recognize my Windows 10 install on USB and not error out with "SECURE BOOT: IMAGE FAILED TO VERIFY"?

'Secure Boot' is *very* flawed if 'Secure Boot' must be disabled in order to re-install Windows 10.

In all seriousness, since Windows 10 will be the "last" windows version, perhaps M$ doesn't plan for anyone to re-install Windows anymore and just "Refresh", "Restore", and "Upgrade".

I'm not sure if I need to make a new thread, thanks.

nosecureboot, Jul 8, 2015
  14. I installed W10 by changing the UEFI settings to accept my USB drive and made sure not disable secure boot, however this still seems insecure.

However, I read retailers will sell W10 on USB, and I wonder if using a retail W10 USB stick would make the whole install chain secure.

nosecureboot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Turning off secure boot/fast boot required? - Similar Threads - Turning off secure

2. secure boot off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    secure boot off: ive been trying to turn on my secure boot in my pc. in my bios settings secure boot is already enabled but not in windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/secure-boot-off/5c1ae4c0-5b21-48b8-9a57-70bc9d8f18ec
  3. secure boot off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    secure boot off: ive been trying to turn on my secure boot in my pc. in my bios settings secure boot is already enabled but not in windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/secure-boot-off/5c1ae4c0-5b21-48b8-9a57-70bc9d8f18ec
  4. secure boot not turning on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    secure boot not turning on: I have a hp-15s i5 nvidia mx350 laptop and i am having issue with secure boot i try to turn it on in my bios it is greyed out after clicking on restore default keys in bios i am able to turn it on but as soon as my pc turns on secure boot still shows of....
  5. secure boot not turning on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    secure boot not turning on: I have a hp-15s i5 nvidia mx350 laptop and i am having issue with secure boot i try to turn it on in my bios it is greyed out after clicking on restore default keys in bios i am able to turn it on but as soon as my pc turns on secure boot still shows of....
  6. Turning off Fast Boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Turning off Fast Boot: Hello, to turn off fast boot enough to turn off it in bios? Or I should do in windows too? (I need to turn that off dont ask) submitted by /u/_MeetYourMaker_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jiwqb5/turning_off_fast_boot/
  7. wifi is not working after fast boot . if i turn off fast boot , wifi works finely

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    wifi is not working after fast boot . if i turn off fast boot , wifi works finely: wifi is not working after fast boot . if i turn off fast boot , wifi works finely . how to use both fast boot and wifi ? i reinstalled the driver but nothing happen [ATTACH]...
  8. Multi-boot USB that doesnt require CSM on or Secure-boot off?

in Windows 10 Support
    Multi-boot USB that doesnt require CSM on or Secure-boot off?: I presume this doesnt exist - at least I havent found it in my digging. I dont want to enable CSM, or have to bother with disabling secureboot, even though it would admittedly make a few things easier. I just ran into a situation where I dont have enough usb sticks for what...
  9. Cmd prompt to turn off Fast startup at boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cmd prompt to turn off Fast startup at boot: Would an Autoexec Bat file work? Maybe turning off hibernate (?) The problem is on my Asus UX303LA laptop with Fast Start on I can't boot from a recovery usb. If I turn off Fast Startup all is well and the computer boots. What would be be the code? Thanks 98382
  10. Boot not that fast

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot not that fast: Hello I have a new configuration (z170 chipset, i3-6320, fast SSD) for my desktop and it boots slower than my laptop (Acer V3-574G (i7-5500) with the same SSD as my desktop). I don't think the i3-6320 vs i7-5500 can explain such difference. First thing is that Hibernation...