Windows 10: Turning off UAC causes Error

Discus and support Turning off UAC causes Error in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello. I always used to have my UAC turned off, and was very happy being able to quickly open up different programs with administrator privileges... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by gkman, Jan 3, 2016.

1. gkman Win User

Turning off UAC causes Error

Hello.

I always used to have my UAC turned off, and was very happy being able to quickly open up different programs with administrator privileges using the WinKey+R.

However, ever since upgrading to windows 10, turning UAC triggers the "This app Can't Open" error (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...a-9ebe89ab23d7)

Searching for a solution quite a while, all I came across is suggestions to turn UAC back on. This is not an acceptable solution, I wish to keep the damn thing off, and don't see any reason why it should interfere with my ability to open the edge browser.

what the hell is going on?

:)

gkman, Jan 3, 2016

2. This app can't be activated by the Built-in Administrator

I am experiencing the same issue on my win 10 laptop. im my situation the issue is due to UAC. Somehow, something keeps turning off UAC which then causes the built-in admin issues. Check your UAC settings and make sure it is enabled and set to the default
    level. you may be in the same boat as me. now i have to figure out why UAC keeps turning itself off

Tech Shane, Jan 3, 2016
  3. E for Excel, Jan 3, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

'Cause I use Windows 7, I'm only guessing at a possible solution: Ultimate Windows Tweak [the one for Windows 10] from Windows Club. Now, I think you have to turn UAC back on, and put it on the lowest possible setting [I have mine set to give no notifications]. UWT for Windows 10 might have a setting that will effectively keep UAC out of your hair [unless you're Yul Brenner] and keep UAC from dorking things up for you.
    Awhile back, I used a couple of utilties that shut off UAC, however, that cause a few problems down the road, so I went with a smoother way of living with the lowest UAC setting.

RolandJS, Jan 3, 2016
  5. gkman Win User
    I tired doing that already. doesn't help much.
    especially while using powershell and such for commands that require administrative privileges...

gkman, Jan 3, 2016
  6. Mystere Win User
    What's going on is that Windows Universal Apps (such as Edge) do not function without UAC turned on. It relies on UAC for basic security functions, and simply will not function.

UAC is no longer optional, and each new version of Windows will require more and more functionality be run in Universal mode, thus it won't be long before virtually nothing will function without UAC.

I'm sorry you don't like it, and you find this unacceptable, but it's not just Microsoft checking whether UAC is on or not, and refusing to run if it's not, these apps basic functionality depends on UAC functionality.

Mystere, Jan 3, 2016
  7. gkman Win User
    can I at least choose that other apps that aren't based on it, such as powershell, cmd and other management tools would automatically run with administrative privileges?

gkman, Jan 3, 2016
  8. RolandJS Win User

What is the lowest invasive setting for UAC for admin and for standard users within Windows 10? I'd like to learn more.

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Turning off UAC causes Error - Similar Threads - Turning off UAC

2. I have turned off UAC in Administrator account, but user accounts still have UAC enabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have turned off UAC in Administrator account, but user accounts still have UAC enabled: I turned off UAC in the Administrator account. I have software that will not run with it enabled. However, the users still have UAC enabled. When I try to change UAC when logged in as a user I get "need administrative authority" or something like that, to make changes to UAC....
  3. UAC will not turn off

in Windows 10 Customization
    UAC will not turn off: I want to use colemak. I try to download AutoHotKey to do so, and UAC stops me. I go to control panel and go to UAC settings, but UAC stops me from editing UAC settings. I need help before I flip my table....
  4. Edge not printing when UAC is turned off.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edge not printing when UAC is turned off.: Whenever I click the "print" option in Edge (non-Chromium), the dialog box never comes up. This is with UAC turned off; when it's on, the box comes up fine. I'm an IT manager at an organization and our PCs are on Windows 10 Enterprise 2004. I'm stumped on what could be...
  5. command to Turn off UAC prompts on specific Apps

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    command to Turn off UAC prompts on specific Apps: I have tested an application called Louts note version 5 on my Win 10 V 1909 and it is working fine except one small annoying issue. There is a file nupdate.exe is pop up from time to time. Is there a CMD or PowerShell command to turn off UAC or to disable this nupdate.exe...
  6. command to Turn off UAC prompts on specific Apps

in Windows 10 Support
    command to Turn off UAC prompts on specific Apps: I have tested an application called Louts note version 5 on my Win 10 V 1909 and it is working fine except one small annoying issue. There is a file nupdate.exe is pop up from time to time. Is there a CMD or PowerShell command to turn off UAC or to disable this nupdate.exe...
  7. Turning off UAC for good

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Turning off UAC for good: Long story short. I am a fire alarm tech. I use different softwares but one cannot open if UAC is on amy setting but Never Notify Me when: and IT is no help as HQ wants it but HQ don't understand it hinders our productivity. Is there a way to keep it at NEVER whenever I use...
  8. UAC error ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UAC error ?: I'm trying to execute a file containing software for my motherboard Gigabyte, which I badly need, and I get a RED error from UAC stating this: "This app was blocked for your protection, an Administrator has blocked you from running this application, for more information...
  9. UAC is consistently turning itself off.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC is consistently turning itself off.: After researching the forums this morning I have decided to post my issue; I am consistently resetting the UAC (image below) and rebooting to allow Edge and Calculator to function as normal. [img] What must be done to keep this setting in its place permanently?...
  10. Settings App & UAC Off

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings App & UAC Off: What's the deal with the Settings App not launching with UAC off? Is there a way around this? 7286