Windows 10: TV connected to PC will only display 1920x1080. No overscan options.

Discus and support TV connected to PC will only display 1920x1080. No overscan options. in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; That model seems to be rather old ~12 years, and a native resolution of 1440 x 900. Limited input modes. Must be scaled to fit. Seems to do a 1080i or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

TV connected to PC will only display 1920x1080. No overscan options.

Hi there my mistake -- genuine error

should have been HDMI 2.0 (4K standard) or the latest HDMI 2.1. Either way cables need to support the minimum HDMI 2.0 for any HDMI hi def video to be seen.

HDMI 2.1: heres everything you need to know about the new standard | TechRadar

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018

2. Tom's hardware isnt working with me so im gonna post it here
    also this thread is probably in the wrong spot.
    now for the thread:

I have an Element Electronics personal TV (Model FLX-1910), and it is very odd, The only resolution that will display to it from my computer is 1920X1080, and any other resolution will say "Unsupported Mode" but my switch can display stuff fine. Id be okay with the 1920X1080 thing just to have it to display, but it is too big and the TV doesn't have any overscan settings. Any help?

:)

glitchdweller, Apr 17, 2018
  3. Ralf_G Win User
    HDMI Cut's off edges of screen

Display overscan is a necessary evil for CRT TVs but pretty much redundant for digital displays, although some TVs might not have exactly the 1920x1080 screen pixels (or whatever) that is claimed for their resolution.

Setting overscan is not so much Windows functionality as it is a function of the graphics (display card) hardware drivers.

You can usually adjust the overscan in the display adapter utilities, as here in the NVidia control panel:

TV connected to PC will only display 1920x1080. No overscan options. [​IMG]

Intel, Radeon, etc. all should have something similar.

Ralf_G, Apr 17, 2018
  4. Ralf_G Win User

Screen size display

Look in your display driver settings utility for the display "overscan" adjustment. Adjust the overscan/underscan until your desktop fits properly on the TV screen.

Ralf_G, Apr 17, 2018
  5. Try3 Win User
    Try leaving the resolution at 1920x1080 but increasing the scaling to 125% / 150%. I use 125% on my TV output.

Settings, System, Display, [Display #2], Scale & layout.

Denis

6. Try3 Win User
    Glitch Dweller,

If you then want to know what the effective resolution is [while using scaling], set the display to TV-only [or TV as #1 display] and run the VBS file given at VBS Script to Retrieve the Screen Resolution - Geeks Hangout
    - This procedure does not work for an extended display which is why you need to set the TV as the only / primary one.
    - My copy is called Show screen resolution.vbs and contains Code: array_ScreenRes = GetScreenResolution screenRes_X = array_ScreenRes(0) screenRes_Y = array_ScreenRes(1) wscript.echo "Resolution is: " & screenRes_X & " by " & screenRes_Y Function GetScreenResolution() Set oIE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application") With oIE .Navigate("about:blank") Do Until .readyState = 4: wscript.sleep 100: Loop width = .document.ParentWindow.screen.width height = .document.ParentWindow.screen.height End With oIE.Quit GetScreenResolution = array(width,height) End Function[/quote]
    A 1920x1080 display scaled to 125% will be, in effect, 1536x864 whilst 150% will effectively be 1280x720.

Denis

7. cereberus Win User
    Many tvs have a pc mode in their settings somewhere.

cereberus, Apr 22, 2018
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there.

Pretty well any TV I've seen that is less than 3 years old - especially those that can also work as a PC monitor have in the Monitor hardware settings on picture an "Auto resize" or some type of similar option. You probably will need the handset to get access to the monitor hardware menu though.

The other thing you have to ensure is that if you are connecting via HDMI cable that the cable supports the latest 2.2 standard.

I assume you've already done all the bog standard stuff on the PC side -- drivers / video card etc etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 22, 2018
  9. Helmut Win User
    That model seems to be rather old ~12 years, and a native resolution of 1440 x 900. Limited input modes. Must be scaled to fit. Seems to do a 1080i or p input which would be scaled down and a few lower resolution inputs which would be scaled up.
    In conjunction with the Laptop you have indicated not much options on the Intel video output. That you will have to look at.

There is no HDMI 2.2 standard as yet, not on this planet.

Helmut, Apr 22, 2018
Thema:

1. TV connected to PC will only display 1920x1080. No overscan options. - Similar Threads - connected display 1920x1080

2. After KB5033375 my Samsung LU32R592CWUXEN only displays 1920x1080

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After KB5033375 my Samsung LU32R592CWUXEN only displays 1920x1080: Before the update 4k was available.i uninstalled the devicetried to update the driverdownloaded the driver from samsungnothing works https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-kb5033375-my-samsung-lu32r592cwuxen-only/2edd98d0-8195-4719-a5e8-d54b98ec845f
  3. i've got bad overscan on my tv, how can i fix it? the tv is kinda old so there is no option...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    i've got bad overscan on my tv, how can i fix it? the tv is kinda old so there is no option...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/bromomento69 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i8fzz7/ive_got_bad_overscan_on_my_tv_how_can_i_fix_it/
  4. Display overscan with an Intel draphics card

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display overscan with an Intel draphics card: How to adjust display overscan wiith intel graphics card \ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-overscan-with-an-intel-draphics-card/2b3d6aef-72c0-4081-bb1d-d1b37f694612
  5. Overscan

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Overscan: My display driver does not allow me to adjust for overscan to make my display fit my screen. I have tried updating the driver but get nothing, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/overscan/49e174bd-0bba-427a-9b8c-8bd67ec47a10
  6. Overscan

in Windows 10 Customization
    Overscan: I am running integrated graphics off of a ryzen 3 2200g connected to my tv via hdmi and inside of the radeon settings there is no option to manually scale, there is a ton of overscan and i need help. The layout and resolution is grayed out in display settings...
  7. No 1920x1080 resolution option

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    No 1920x1080 resolution option: My screen suddenly went from 1920x1080 to 1024x768 in the middle of running Windows 10. Never had this problem before and the resolution was just fine on Windows 10 until this happened. This would be easy to fix if the Resolution options in the Display menu had 1920x1080,...
  8. Connecting pc to tv

Connecting pc to tv: Hello. I'm trying to use my tv as a monitor for my pc using HDMI but when I go to 'customize display' there is only one choice - "1". Another display isn't detected. I have HDMI 1 selected on my tv & the lead plugged in to HDMI 1. I'm using a Dell Optiplex 745 desktop...
  9. Windows 10 Pro Does Not Give Option For 1920x1080 Display

Windows 10 Pro Does Not Give Option For 1920x1080 Display: hey, i there's no option for 1920x1080 resolution when i go to display settings. i have an acer monitor connected with a vga cable, when i run dxdiag it only displays my graphics card as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. i tried uninstalling the drivers from device manager and...
  10. Secondary display overscan problem

Secondary display overscan problem: So my laptop has had no issue in the past connecting to this tv, however with windows 10 there is an overscan of almost the whole taskbar on every side. However with no issue on the main laptop display, only on other displays The laptop has intel hd 4400 graphics as the...