Windows 10: Two connected problems?: Edge won't start & Start Menu does not work

Discus and support Two connected problems?: Edge won't start & Start Menu does not work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm probably like most people - able to solve the seemingly endless minor windows problems that arise after a bit of google searching on forums.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iflynn, Apr 29, 2017.

1. iflynn Win User

Two connected problems?: Edge won't start & Start Menu does not work

I'm probably like most people - able to solve the seemingly endless minor windows problems that arise after a bit of google searching on forums. However at the moment I've got two problems that I just can't fix despite trying every solution I could on the web including all of the ones in the relevant threads on this site (short of a clean reinstall). I've done a repair install with no effect. I think the problems are connected though I can't demonstrate this. Perhaps I should be posting in the existing threads but I do think there is a link and thus a common problem. The proble are:

1) Microsoft Edge will not start - the screen opens for a few seconds and then closes. All other browsers and other programs work normally. I've tried all of the answers here: Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Browsers Email Tutorials plus all those in the many similar threads around the web

2) For newly created user accounts only, whether normal or admin, the start menu does not work, the Cortana search field is not present, and nor are any MS applications eg Office (though right click on the start button works) or Edge. All other normally installed non-MS programs appear on the desktop and work normally. Similarly I have tried everything I could find in threads like this: Start button on Windows 10 does not work - Microsoft Community A difference between my symptoms and those commonly reported are that mine only affect new accounts. Nothing I do within those accounts fixes things and nor does deleting them and trying again. But the existing accounts on the computer remain normal.

Notably the solutions proffered (regedits, deleting the local app data, re-registering the apps) seem to be similar but have no effect.

I only have Windows defender AV installed. All drivers and W10 itself are bang up to date. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to avoid a time-consuming full reinstall since the computer is still, otherwise, working well.

Thanks!

Iain

:)

iflynn, Apr 29, 2017

2. Start menu does not work

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately the two methods do not work too. I try them many time but it is still same problems

SalamAl-Ruabye, Apr 29, 2017
  3. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Apr 29, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, could be your default user account is corrupt. That would mean any new user account you create would also be affected.

I can't tell you if a repair install (which you've tried) should have been expected to resolve that (by creating a new copy of it).
    Obviously you've now no useful restore points.

Question then would be- where to go now? Mmm... would copying that from any other Win 10 installation (preferably the same build) work?

Two connected problems?: Edge won't start & Start Menu does not work [​IMG]

- NTUSER.DAT

Which is your build? (Win key + R, winver)

dalchina, Apr 29, 2017
  5. iflynn Win User
    v1703 15063.250

Yes I could try that. Unfortunately I don't have a suitable donor computer though. Thanks. That's also proposed as solution for another problem I have on another w10 computer which won't allow the creation of new users at all. But I'm not sure it will work and probably won't address the Edge question.

I sometimes wonder why I bother with Windows. These aren't crippling problems but spending hours fixing them is a pain.

Thanks for your interest anyway.

Iain

iflynn, Apr 29, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I would think someone on this forum with the CU build could forward that file. (I'm staying with 1607 for quite a while for a couple of reasons).

I can understand the frustration- and there are some obvious flaws in MS's approach. I've not had any problems for almost a year. I also take care to use disk imaging to make sure I can restore a previously working version if necessary.

What is puzzling in your case is that you have more than one instance of a possibly similar problem. That begs the question as to the cause. I don't recall this being reported before (but I don't read every post either!).

dalchina, Apr 29, 2017
  7. iflynn Win User
    Thanks dalchina.

I don't think the problems on the two separate computers are related: the one about not being able to create new user accounts at all (or more accurately not being able to use them once created) also seems to be a common problem with many threads of its own such as this one Cant login with new local users in windows 10 - Super User

As you suggest a partial solution might be to remain a few upgrades behind . . .

iflynn, Apr 29, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, you may have seen this:
    Create new user, no desktop or taskbar - Solved - Windows 10 Forums

Not the same symptoms, but a case where the solution I suggested worked.

I could ask if someone would post a copy.

(My reasons for staying with 1607 are:
    1. I use Aeroglass for opaque rounded borders. It usually takes a few months for that to be updated after a new build comes out
    2. Much simpler- the past pattern has been that MS produces a major update after build releases some 2-3 months after the public release. I'd prefer to wait for that
    3. There are some clear issues with the CU as it now is, which are common to all, but which wouldn't bother most users).

dalchina, Apr 30, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Hope this helps. This is NTUSER.DAT from C:\Users\Default on Windows 10 Home (x64) 1703, OS build 15063.250

10. dalchina New Member
    Thanks Bree! We'll see.. this is a new one to me - looking around there are more references to the default user being corrupt than I'd have expected.

dalchina, Apr 30, 2017
  11. iflynn Win User
    Thanks for your help: sadly that didn't work. Nor did any number of fixes found on the internet for corrupt user profiles. It looks like I've got to do a full rebuild of the system.

iflynn, May 5, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    As you've nothing installed, that's the best approach. And maybe the only one.

Have you checked your disk recently? E.g. Hard disk Sentinel (trial)?

dalchina, May 5, 2017
  13. VooDoo Win User

I had these problems. This thread here fixed at least the start button issue. It may have fixed the Edge problem I had too, but I cannot remember. My apologies if you have already tried it.

VooDoo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Two connected problems?: Edge won't start & Start Menu does not work - Similar Threads - connected problems Edge

2. Windows Start Menu Won't Work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Start Menu Won't Work: HelloI woke up today to find that my PC would not turn on properly after putting it to sleep last night. Held the button to shutdown and the PC booted up with Scanning C drive text, then finished booting. Found out my Start Menu wasn't working, so I restarted my PC again....
  3. Windows Start Menu Won't Work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Start Menu Won't Work: HelloI woke up today to find that my PC would not turn on properly after putting it to sleep last night. Held the button to shutdown and the PC booted up with Scanning C drive text, then finished booting. Found out my Start Menu wasn't working, so I restarted my PC again....
  4. Windows Start Menu Won't Work

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start menu and Edge no longer work

Start menu and Edge no longer work: I initially installed KB4517389 without a problem. However, I coincidentally experienced problem with a Personal Cloud that I suspected could be due to the update and I uninstalled the update. The server problem turned out to be drive failure, and I reinstalled the update but...
  6. Unpin/remove connect & edge on start menu.

Unpin/remove connect & edge on start menu.: Understand that microsoft launched the modern app(provisionedappxpackage) in-bulit app which cannot be removed. However i would like to check if there is any way to unpin/remove Connect & Edge from start menu. Start menu doesnt seems to have the option to unpin the in-bulit...
  7. start menu search won't work

start menu search won't work: since a few days ago it's become that i can't use the search bar in the start menu and this has persisted despite using sfc /scannow and multiple reboots. this is very frustrating.if i type something into the search bar, a few little dots will scroll at the top and then...
  8. Start menu, cortana and edge not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, cortana and edge not working: So i have an msi laptop which has been amazing, i stopped using it for a while, decided id start it back up. I did a system refresh, removing everything so i could start fresh, set it all up and my start button doesn't work, so i reset and still nothing... i have watched so...
  9. Start menu won't work

Start menu won't work: Start menu won't work with left click but will open with right click. Started 2 days ago. Tried adding another user account but it won't let me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-wont-work/4e5e8bc5-351d-4d11-8841-80266ca35f11
  10. Start Menu/Windows won't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu/Windows won't work: I've this weird issue with my Start bar, search bar and various Windows related things. Start Menu - It won't appear at all, can't left click it. Search Bar - Does nothing at all. Shortcuts - They function and I can rearrange them but I cannot right click them....