Windows 10: Two different start menu looks after Anniversary Update...

Discus and support Two different start menu looks after Anniversary Update... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is my start menu (with the icons only along the left): [img] This is my wife's laptop (with the "Most used" section AND the names beside the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AshleyQuick, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Two different start menu looks after Anniversary Update...

This is my start menu (with the icons only along the left):

Two different start menu looks after Anniversary Update... [​IMG]

This is my wife's laptop (with the "Most used" section AND the names beside the icons):

I would like my laptop's start menu to look like my wife's...with the "Most used" section, etc. How is this accomplished?

:)

AshleyQuick, Sep 12, 2016
  2. RDrewD2 Win User

How do i get my windows 10 back?

Different how? It may just be a settings issue, or you may now be on a different version/build than you were on before (after the Anniversary update, many folks have reported that they don't like the cluttered look of the new start menu). Can you give
    any specifics or include a screenshot of what has changed appearance-wise?

RDrewD2, Sep 12, 2016
  3. Start menu changed to icons from text

With the anniversary update, the start menu changed from text entries for file, settings, etc. It now has a list of icons. Can I change it back to text, the way it looks after I click on Start, at the top of the start menu.

billybob1029, Sep 12, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Two different start menu looks after Anniversary Update...

Your laptop is in Tablet Mode and your wife's in in Desktop Mode. By default Windows chooses the appropriate mode according to your hardware. If you prefer the Desktop Mode you can set it to always start in Desktop Mode in: Settings - System - Tablet Mode.

If you wish to switch between Tablet and Desktop modes at any time, click on the Action Centre icon at the far right of the taskbar and click the Tablet Mode tile.

Your Start still won't look quite like your wife's though, as hers doesn't appear to have had the Anniversary Update yet. The Start menu has had a makeover for the AU.

5. Rocky Win User
    In the picture of your start menu, at the very top on the left hand side is a symbol of three lines, this is technically called the hamburger symbol. Just press that symbol and that should expand the most used app area out to display the whole list of most used apps.

Rocky, Sep 12, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    @AshleyQuick :

In addition to the previous posts, you have Windows 10 Anniversary Update or later, your wife's is an older Build.

Edwin, Sep 12, 2016
  7. My desktop PC is in desktop mode and looks like the top posted screen shot. I can't ever use tablet mode as I run more than one display.
    I'm with Edwin, the top screen shot is the Anniversary Update and the bottom screen shot is likely an older build.

alphanumeric, Sep 12, 2016
  8. Bree New Member

Ah, that would be this setting in Personalisation...

9. Still doesn't look like the second screen shot if I set it to off. Similar but not the same.

alphanumeric, Sep 12, 2016
  10. Haxcid Win User
    Haxcid, Sep 12, 2016
  11. Both pcs are the same build.

12. I was able to get the "Most used" section back (which is what I most desired) by turning off "Use Start full screen". Good enough.

13. Edwin New Member

Can't be, the 'hamburger' and user icons are different; type 'winver' on both and check.

Edwin, Sep 12, 2016
  14. wyldman68 Win User
    The one on top is in Tablet mode. That needs to be changed. Click on the action center by the clock and click on the tablet mode button to change to regular mode.

wyldman68, Sep 13, 2016
  15. Edwin New Member
    The first one is from Build 14915 in full screen, the second one is from Build 10586 in full screen regardless of tablet mode.
    (Notice the position of the user icon and the All Apps 'hamburger')

Edwin, Sep 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Two different start menu looks after Anniversary Update... - Similar Threads - different start menu

2. windows setting menu looks different

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows setting menu looks different: Hi, Does anyone know why my setting menu looks different? my older menu didn't have those functions above search bar. how can i restore this? you can see those windows update, rewards and web browsing things on top of search bar. [ATTACH]...
  3. Start menu different

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu different: Split from this thread. I recently downloaded an update of Copic search.; They changed the start menu. How can I revert to the prior format? I have since deleted the program as I was advised that it is not secure by my McCaffrey...
  4. after win10 anniversary update games look frozen but they are not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after win10 anniversary update games look frozen but they are not: Woke up to my computer updating to windows 10 anniversary update, thought ok whatever. after starting a game and alt tabbing out to do a few things. i get back in and notice the screen is frozen but the game is still running, you can still interact with everything and hit the...
  5. No "All Apps" in Start Menu after Anniversary Update!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No "All Apps" in Start Menu after Anniversary Update!: So I just updated to the latest Windows Update upon a prompt. (Automatically in other words.) This added the Anniversary Update as well, which changed the Start Menu somewhat. There is one problem though, it doesn't work as intended. I was under the impression that "All Apps"...
  6. Two different BSOD errors after getting the Anniversary Update.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Two different BSOD errors after getting the Anniversary Update.: Hi there. I got the AU update two days ago and my computer has been constantly getting a BSOD since. The first error I got was SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED with a failure message for bcmwl63a.sys. I looked it up and saw that it was related to my WLAN card, so I updated...
  7. Start menu looks different then before, please help

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu looks different then before, please help: Hello, after Win10 reinstall, start menu looks different then before, how can i fix it? also is it normal that upgrade to win10 took over 14hours? it was stuck at 99% for 10hours. now: http://cdn.ghacks.net/wp-content/upl...start-menu.jpg before:...
  8. Where is the Taskbar & Start Menu Properties in the Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Where is the Taskbar & Start Menu Properties in the Anniversary Update: In 1511 I right clicked in the Start field and it brought up a Properties link. Then there were lots of configuration setting for the Start screen. That no longer works. To the point, before I was able to hide the Apps column and access it by clicking All Apps. I'd like to...
  9. Start menu after the anniversary update

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu after the anniversary update: Hello As mentioned I updated my windows 10 yesterday, it took a while but finally it went all good. However some things are bugging me crazy after the process. The menu start before the update used to show only the tiles, now after the new version being brought the...
  10. Anniversary Update - Clean Install. Start menu anomaly

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update - Clean Install. Start menu anomaly: Hi all, Wondering if anyone else has experienced an icon display issue on their start menu with the 1607 update? I have just clean installed (and fully updated) the 1607 Anniversary Update on 2 PC's and both are experiencing an identical issue with their start menu. The...