Windows 10: Two hard drives slowing down Windows OS

Discus and support Two hard drives slowing down Windows OS in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I have two HDs in my PC, the primary where the OS is installed is a SSD and a second one a normal 2TB HDD (new), both SATA and bios configured... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JJJJC, Aug 4, 2018.

1. JJJJC Win User

Two hard drives slowing down Windows OS

Hello,

I have two HDs in my PC, the primary where the OS is installed is a SSD and a second one a normal 2TB HDD (new), both SATA and bios configured as AHCI. I noticed that the OS is extremely slow when both are connected, mouse keeps lagging all the time for example, but once I disconnect the secondary HDD, the system runs normally and really fast!

I am running the system with a brand new AMD Ryzen 2200G with an Asus B350+ and the HDD is not being used for anything, it's just connected. I am also always running the latest version of Windows 10.

Overall information of things I tried out but didn't solve the problem:

- Changing the power management to never let hard drive to sleep

- Changing the cables to different SATA position, e.g. SSD from Sata 1 to Sata 4 and HDD from Sata 2 to Sata 1

- After switching SATA ports the first time, I had the feeling it started working normally but after some use (maybe after some resets?) the problem came back...

- HDD without any partition and creating partitions to HDD

- Tested with Linux installed on the second HDD, as I had the same problem with Linux I concluded it might be a driver problem or both OS handle the hard drives in the same way.

Any new ideas, I am open to try out.

Thank you!

:)

JJJJC, Aug 4, 2018
  2. little cat, Aug 4, 2018
  3. Slow hard drive

I don't know how it slows it down, I just know that windows goes crazy if I have my USB drive in my computer while trying to boot windows *Laugh :laugh:. And I got the list trick off of Wazzledoozle.

zekrahminator, Aug 4, 2018
  4. $immond$ Win User

Windowed Hard Drives

On the contrary, showing off "slow tech" by adding a window to a hard drive is a "dumb" idea. Do you really want to be showing off a whole "7200-10000 RPM of power" or would you rather show off a plain SSD drive? (If you really desire to "show off")

Adding any window to any drive is just stupid. I just suggested an easier option for you since manufactures don't put windows on the latest hard drives.

$immond$, Aug 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Two hard drives slowing down Windows OS - Similar Threads - hard drives slowing

2. External hard drive slowing down pc and very slow downloads.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive slowing down pc and very slow downloads.: I had an external hard drive that worked great until suddenly whenever it was plugged in my Pc would run very slow and I could not download anything on the external hard drive, so I threw it out and got a new one, but I am having the same problem on the new one. Help me!!!!!...
  3. External hard drive slowing down pc and very slow downloads.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive slowing down pc and very slow downloads.: I had an external hard drive that worked great until suddenly whenever it was plugged in my Pc would run very slow and I could not download anything on the external hard drive, so I threw it out and got a new one, but I am having the same problem on the new one. Help me!!!!!...
  4. Hard Drive Change with windows OS

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard Drive Change with windows OS: I think I may need a hard drive to change soon. Sometimes I hear a very quiet clicking and apparently that's a sign of a potentially failing harddrive. I really would rather just install another hard drive I have, but I need to know if I put that one in, will windows OS be...
  5. Hard drive split in two?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive split in two?: Hello. I had recently installed Ubuntu 19.04 alongside Windows 10. Now I wanted to uninstall it, so I followed the existing tutorials on the internet. However only Ubuntu was deleted but the virtual drive was still not deleted. The funny thing is that the virtual drive is...
  6. two hard drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    two hard drives: 1 ssd with windows 10 os. 1 ssd with windows 7os. When windows 10 updates and restarts it corrupts the boot configuration for these drives to the extent that windows 10 will not boot and the repair disk can not fix it. I have had to reinstall windows twice now is there a...
  7. Two OS drives ? For what ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Two OS drives ? For what ?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/ct0nl2b253p41.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=593cabdc6c20455733e5fb87895452af6d724b69 Hello Reddit, I'm a bit confused as to why I have OS(C) and OS(D). Windows 10 is installed once only in OS(C) SSD, upon checking defragment...
  8. OS hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    OS hard drive: I recently installed a second hard drive for more data storage and now my computer thinks the OS is on a flash drive and won't update Windows 10. The original hard drive (C:) contains the OS and is identified in the system as bus number 0. The new hard drive (J:) contains...
  9. Two OS in Windows 10 - is this slowing the laptop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Two OS in Windows 10 - is this slowing the laptop?: Last time I had to do I hard restart I noticed I seem to have two OS's (both Windows 10) and I was given a choice about which one to use when restarting. Not sure how this came about, but when I go to This PC in Windows Explorer I see a drive called OS (D:). The usage bar is...
  10. Search With two hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Search With two hard drive: Hi, I have two hard drive on my PC, as SSD for the OS and a HDD for all my storage I seem to have a problem with search, that it will only find stuff that is stored on the SDD. To get it to look for other files on the HD, I have to click search my stuff, and even then...