Windows 10: Two major problems with playing MKV files

Discus and support Two major problems with playing MKV files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Good day, I just noticed 2 major problems with playing MKV files using the native Movies & TV app in Windows 10 Pro x64 that I'm running. 1. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JohnnyGui, Aug 17, 2015.

1. JohnnyGui Win User

Two major problems with playing MKV files

Good day,

I just noticed 2 major problems with playing MKV files using the native Movies & TV app in Windows 10 Pro x64 that I'm running.

1. I'm not sure if Windows 10 fully supports MKV files yet but audio from some MKV files couldn't be played with the Movies & TV app. The video plays fine but it's just muted.

2. Enabling subtitles using the built-in feature of the Movies & TV App causes a horrible lag and stutter of the whole MKV video.

Anyone experienced these?

:)

JohnnyGui, Aug 17, 2015

2. Since i have upgraded to windows 10, WMP Audio Out Of Sync

I experience this problem with MP4 and MKV. But not all MP4 files. I make youtube videos and those are exported in MP4 and play fine. But some MP4 files dont. The file im trying to play is MKV.

RelaxnShadow, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Is there any player to play the video file .mkv format?

i have the same problem. even I haven't found any app in store that can play mkv video files.

is there any app which can play mkv video files??????

jc jaswinder, Aug 17, 2015
  4. Two major problems with playing MKV files

Just tried it playing an MKV, no sound. Good job I don't use the piece of crap. Kodi or VLC for me.

Torquemada, Aug 17, 2015
  5. JoeShades Win User
    Don't use The Microsoft Apps, Kodi, Pot player are my go to apps

JoeShades, Aug 17, 2015
  6. JohnnyGui Win User
    I'm aware that other videoplayers don't have this problem. I was wondering if these 2 problems are bugs that are only at my end or not.

Does enabling subtitles in the Movies & TV app cause stutter in the MKV video for example?

JohnnyGui, Aug 17, 2015
  7. Hi!
    No Problems to play mkv files. Sound and Picture good ++ .

Cluster Head, Aug 17, 2015
  8. JohnnyGui Win User

I noticed that for some MKV files, the audio plays normally while for others the audio is missing. I guess it depends on the format of the audio in the Matroska package.

However, the stutter/lagging of the video caused when enabling subtitles in the app is always there.

JohnnyGui, Aug 17, 2015
  9. Hi again!

However, the stutter/lagging of the video caused when enabling subtitles in the app is always there.

Okay let me check this out. I`ll be back in few minutes.

10. jds63 Win User
    Most likely correct in your first statement, probably using audio that the Movies and TV App does not have Codec for.

MKV files are actually multimedia container formats. This essentially means that it is a container that can incorporate audio, video, and subtitles into a single file even if they use a different type of encoding. For instance, you could have a MKV file using VP8 video with Vorbis audio, or more commonly, using H.264 for video and something like MP3 or AAC for audio.

jds63, Aug 17, 2015
  11. Back!

I checked out 3 div. movies but in this time I can`t find any Problem. I will check later some other files.

12. JohnnyGui Win User
    I was talking about MKV files that have subtitles built in. Usually in the Movies & TV app you'll have the option to choose a subtitle ("CC" button next to "Play" etc.) for the MKV file.

jds63 : I had the feeling this would be the cause. However, I read that Windows 10 would have full MKV support but I guess releasing it to the public doesn't mean that.

JohnnyGui, Aug 17, 2015
  13. Two major problems with playing MKV files

Yes I know! I tried 3 movies with Subs and I have no Problems with this mkv with Subs.

14. jds63 Win User
    Yeah, did like idea they finally had an app to play MKV, since Windows media player always had an issue with these. I use PowerDVD anyway, but may use Movies&TV app sometimes.

jds63, Aug 17, 2015
  15. JohnnyGui Win User
    I'm surprised. Are you using third party codecs by any chance?

JohnnyGui, Aug 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Two major problems with playing MKV files - Similar Threads - major problems playing

2. MKV file will not play on one PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MKV file will not play on one PC: I have three PCs with the same version of PotPlayer. Two of them will play a certain mkv file, one will not. All will play the file with VLC. All PCs are on the same Windows 10 1809 OS. All at the same patch level. I ran mkvalidator over the file and it says the "file...
  3. Playing HDR MKV files on a SDR display?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Playing HDR MKV files on a SDR display?: Anyone know how i can watch HDR mkv files on my non-hdr display in windows? I heard the K-lite pack allows you to get the colors out of a 10 bit image on the player. I've also heard the same for the plex player and windows tv&movies app allowing tonemapping to get the color...
  4. supporting .mkv files

supporting .mkv files: Hello, I am an aspiring youtuber that does not have software and uses Photos. recently i have been using OBS studio and saw that Photos does not support .mkv fileswhat obs saves recordings as. I am wondering if you guys could start supporting .mkv files! -thirtymoredays...
  5. Major problem.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Major problem.: Windows can't sign into my account although I have been using it for 3+years. I have tried almost every solution I could find on the internet and restarted my pc several times. It just keeps on logging me into a temporary user profile and repeats that it's unable to sign in...
  6. Windows Photos App cannot play .mkv

Windows Photos App cannot play .mkv: Yes, it cannot play .mkv files. I am aware that they can be converted to another format but I simply dont want to. So my question is: Can I make it run .mkv? Or better yet - Can I make videos be played in an external program like MPC-HC for example? Or at the very least -...
  7. movies & TV app can't play sound in mkv files?

movies & TV app can't play sound in mkv files?: movies & TV app can't play sound in mkv files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/movies-tv-app-cant-play-sound-in-mkv-files/021849a8-e4e1-4a71-91d2-d47b43b98998
  8. mkv files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    mkv files: was backing up a bluray disc to mkv using handbrake. some files i could play and others I could not, why? Played back on windows media player. any help would be graciously appreciated...
  9. MKV Files won't play in v1809

MKV Files won't play in v1809: Ok so, i've noticed that v1809 will NOT play MKV files in VLC or any other video player. They work perfectly on my other computer which is still running v1803. Is there a fix? 122139
  10. Major problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Major problem: amazon says I have been hacked by North Korea they say only micro soft can fix and they want 500 dollars what can I do please help me 112044