Windows 10: two problems: 1. windows backup to usb; 2. have pin, windows wants pw

Discus and support two problems: 1. windows backup to usb; 2. have pin, windows wants pw in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Background. I just purchases a Windows 10 laptop, and before I use it I want to create a backup system image. (Sadly, laptops no longer come with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hatsoff, Mar 9, 2017.

1. hatsoff Win User

two problems: 1. windows backup to usb; 2. have pin, windows wants pw

Background.

I just purchases a Windows 10 laptop, and before I use it I want to create a backup system image. (Sadly, laptops no longer come with restore media.) For this task I am trying to use the "backup and restore (Windows 7)" app.

I need a location to save my image. Apparently my hard disk is divided into two partitions, labelled C: and D:. The C: drive is where Windows 10 appears to be installed. The D: drive might be the backup partition---I'm not sure. There is not enough room to save the image to the D: drive, and Windows insists that the C: drive is off-limits, I suppose because it is the drive I am attempting to backup. I do not have a DVD burner that I can use (not that a DVD would have enough space anyway). I have a couple of desktop PCs on a network, but for some reason when I enter the login credentials for those, Windows claims I have the wrong password.

So, I ran out and purchased a 32GB USB drive (a Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0) to use for a backup location. At first, it the "backup and restore" app told me that it needed to be formatted to NTFS. I did so. Then I unplugged and re-plugged the USB stick back in and tried again...

Problem #1.

The "backup and restore" app gives me the following message when I attempt to save a disk image onto the USB drive: "the drive is not a valid backup location."

Apparently this is a common problem. However, in searching Google I have not discovered any solution.

Problem #2. (EDIT: looks like I solved this problem myself; see below)

However, Google did offer an interesting potential workaround (here), which is to "share" a folder on the USB drive with myself, and then attempt to write to it as a network location.

Unfortunately, when I attempt to write to the shared network location (which, again, is really just a local folder on the USB drive), it asks me for a username and password. I don't know if I have a username and I never told Windows to use a password. Instead, I use a "pin". But the app will not proceed unless I enter a username and password.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I think I solved Problem #2. I found my username, and I guess I just use the pin for my password. So far, the workaround seems to be working : ) So I guess, although problem #1 remains unsolved, I no longer require a solution.

:)

hatsoff, Mar 9, 2017
  2. Cochise_8 Win User

What is a Windows (10) Password?

I have a working Microsoft Account (PW can be either a PIN or phrase) both work fine. The problem is with Windows 10 requesting a PW. I have no idea what it is or even if I ever set one. So - How do I deal with the problem? Is there a way to reset
    ONLY the Windows PW?

Cochise_8, Mar 9, 2017
  3. TVM-Janet Win User
    Widows 10 on laptop won't accept password or pin

I am on Windows 10 as well, and I am having the same problem. It happens intermittently. The first time was after an update but now it happens at any time. I am to the point of not wanting to reboot or restart.

The he first time was 4-6 months ago. It has happened 7-8 times.

I am am set up with photo ID and pin. When the problem happens the message says the camera cannot be started so I should enter my password. This is strange because I use a pin, not pw. I originally set up with my windows pw. So I enter it and it does
    not work. Yes, I am using the correct Windows password.

The first time this happened, I finally restarted in safe mode and got in. Today, it restarted 2 times and the 2nd time it allowed me to use my pin.

There is clearly a problem.

TVM-Janet, Mar 9, 2017
  4. hatsoff Win User

Problem #3.

I tried marking this thread as "solved" but it isn't showing as solved in the forum. lol

EDIT: Oh, I see: the green checkmark shows up instead of the usual "[solved]" prefix.

hatsoff, Mar 9, 2017
Thema:

1. two problems: 1. windows backup to usb; 2. have pin, windows wants pw - Similar Threads - problems backup usb

2. Lost Windows Hello PW and Pin. Forgotten PW W-Hello asks for Pin. Forgotten PIN W-Hello...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lost Windows Hello PW and Pin. Forgotten PW W-Hello asks for Pin. Forgotten PIN W-Hello...: I can login to my laptop. I cannot login to activate MS365 as Windows Hello asks for the PW or Pin, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-windows-hello-pw-and-pin-forgotten-pw-w-hello/5242002d-1b1e-437d-b656-6617e6b92a3a
  3. Lost Windows Hello PW and Pin. Forgotten PW W-Hello asks for Pin. Forgotten PIN W-Hello...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Windows Hello PW and Pin. Forgotten PW W-Hello asks for Pin. Forgotten PIN W-Hello...: I can login to my laptop. I cannot login to activate MS365 as Windows Hello asks for the PW or Pin, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-windows-hello-pw-and-pin-forgotten-pw-w-hello/5242002d-1b1e-437d-b656-6617e6b92a3a
  4. Lost Windows Hello PW and Pin. Forgotten PW W-Hello asks for Pin. Forgotten PIN W-Hello...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. PIN and PW requested differently on 2 computers.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PIN and PW requested differently on 2 computers.: I have a Lenovo G580 and an Acer Aspire A515-54 laptop both of which are running Windows 10, Version 10.0.19042. I repeatedly check then uncheck the "User must enter a user name and PW to use the computer" in User Account. 9 out of 10 startups the Lenovo requests a PIN or PW....
  6. Want to have 1 SSD with Windows and 1 with Linux

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Want to have 1 SSD with Windows and 1 with Linux: hello! I have 1 SSD with windows 10 currently installed. I have a second empty SSD installed in my pc too, and I want to install Linux on that one in order to have the option of running Linux or windows on my pc. How would I go about doing this? Thanks! submitted by...
  7. PIN INSTEAD PW

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PIN INSTEAD PW: I have two MS accounts. One is password/PIN protected and is Administrator also. The other frequently used is only Password protected. I tried to give a PIN which is not accepted. * Moved from MSN...
  8. I have 2 usb 2.0 ports and 1 usb 3.0 port. Problem is all of them have a black plastic...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have 2 usb 2.0 ports and 1 usb 3.0 port. Problem is all of them have a black plastic...: So, the title says it all. How can I tell the difference between the ports. The look identical. Ports are: 2 usb 2.0 ports, 1 usb 3.0 port....
  9. Problem devices: USB to LPT and PCI Riser 1 to 2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem devices: USB to LPT and PCI Riser 1 to 2: Ok, I throw them to scrap. Miro
  10. Want 1 click instead of 2..

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Want 1 click instead of 2..: I reinstalled Win10 today and now I have lost my 1only mouse click and have to click 2 times. I can't for the life of me find the setting to change that. Anyone please. 65179