Windows 10: Two questions about the Media Creation Tool

Discus and support Two questions about the Media Creation Tool in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Good day all, Sorry if this has been answered before. Here are my questions: 1. When I use the Media Creation Tool from the official Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JohnnyGui, Sep 2, 2016.

1. JohnnyGui Win User

Two questions about the Media Creation Tool

Good day all,

Sorry if this has been answered before. Here are my questions:

1. When I use the Media Creation Tool from the official Microsoft link (https://www.microsoft.com/nl-nl/soft...5-8e96988880a4) will it download the Windows 10 ISO that includes the Anniversary Update or is that ISO file not uploaded on the Microsoft website yet?

2. I am using Windows 8.1 Pro x64 at the moment. However, for some reason, when I have to select in the Media Creation Tool the version of Windows 10 that I want to create an ISO file of, there are only the options: Windows 10, Windows 10 N and Windows 10 Single Language Pack. I recall that I was able to choose Windows 10 Pro a while ago, why is that option gone? Can't I install Windows 10 Pro anymore?

:)

JohnnyGui, Sep 2, 2016

2. Two Windows Media Creation Tool Questions

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you resolve the issue.

In order to understand the issue in a better manner, please share the details.

• How did you tried to perform Windows 10 upgrade? Was it Windows Update or Media Creation Tool?

• Can you see any error message or error code on the screen?
    I would like to inform you that the installation time will be depending on the device and the network connection you have connected with the system.

If you are using an ISO file for Windows 10 upgrade, please go through the below article created by
    Andre Da Costa and see if it helps.

How to: Upgrade from Previous Versions of Windows Using Windows 10 ISO file

For further reference, please click on the following link.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

I hope the information helps. Reply with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Sep 2, 2016
  3. Two Windows Media Creation Tool Questions

The first question I have is, Is it possible to pause and resume the download? I have been downloading forever and I am making the connection slow for everyone in my household.

The second question is, six hours has passed and at 49%. I want to restart my PC. Can I resume from the 49% or do I have to start all over again.

Please let me know

Thanks

BruceDallas, Sep 2, 2016
  4. Plankton Win User

Yes....it will/should have the latest complete version of windows 10.

Plankton, Sep 2, 2016
  5. pepanee Win User
    Hi,
    1) Yes, the Anniversary Update is already included, because I did the same exact thing a few days after the Anniversary Update was released
    2) I was also confused because I had exactly the same thing as you! Windows 8.1 Pro x64. For some strange reason, it doesn't show Windows 10 Pro. Yet I installed it, and Windows 10 Pro got installed. There is a document somewhere at Media Creation site that states that if you had Windows 8.1 Pro, it will install Windows 10 Pro

pepanee, Sep 2, 2016
  6. JohnnyGui Win User
    Wow, thanks so much for the FTL replies!

JohnnyGui, Sep 2, 2016
  7. pepanee Win User
    Found it: =)

Go to: Windows 10
    > Press the Plus sign next to: Using the tool to upgrade this PC...
    > Scroll down just a little bit. You will see

Your current edition of Windows
    Windows 8.1 Pro on the left,

and on the right you will see

Windows 10 edition
    Windows 10 Pro

(which is the Windows version that your computer will get upgraded to)

pepanee, Sep 2, 2016
  8. JohnnyGui Win User

Yes, I saw it indeed. I was hesitating though that maybe the Media Creation Tool didn't detect my version of Windows 8.1 Pro properly and was planning to install the standard version of Windows 10.

One last question, which is a bit off-topic:
    Do I still have to go through the Local Group Policy Editor to make Windows Update only alert me for updates instead of downloading and installing them automatically or has there been a more convenient way implemented by now?

JohnnyGui, Sep 2, 2016
  9. pepanee Win User
    In Windows 10, you are forced to update your computer no matter what.

Yet there is an app from Microsoft that lets you uninstall an update and "Hide" that update so Windows Update wouldn't look for & install that update.

pepanee, Sep 2, 2016
  10. JohnnyGui Win User
    But I do recall that you're able to download and install them manually through Group Policy Editor instead of WU doing that automatically, right? WU would only alert you for updates in that case from what I understand.

Because I was wondering if there's a more simple way to set this by now instead of through Group Policy Editor

JohnnyGui, Sep 2, 2016
  11. pepanee Win User
    Oh I apologize, I don't know about that option, maybe somebody else can help =)

pepanee, Sep 2, 2016
  12. JohnnyGui Win User
    No problem, just installed Windows 10 Pro and did it the old fashioned way. Maybe someone else knows an alternative.

JohnnyGui, Sep 2, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

In Pro editions (and enterprise) you can defer upgrades for some months or even longer in Settings.

It is possible to disable updates altogether (just search).

And setting your internet connection to metered in Settings is supposed to stop updates (both Wifi and ethernet).

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Two questions about the Media Creation Tool - Similar Threads - questions Media Creation

2. About the 20H2 Media Creation tool

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    About the 20H2 Media Creation tool: Last week i tried to format my PC due to some technical probs like file corruption and crashes due to drivers. Usually i would stick to media creation tool but i didnt expect the media creation tool to be somewhat problamatic part from the usb installation thingy. The problem...
  3. Question about Windows Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Windows Creation Tool: So im getting a my first pc in a month and downloaded the Windows Creation Tool , My question is , immediatly after downloading my laptop shut down and had a "Press [ESC] to start up properly" or something like that is that supposed to happen? NOTE: i clicked that i want to...
  4. MR Media Creation Tool Question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    MR Media Creation Tool Question: I'm running 1903. When I go to create a bootable rescue media in MR, it brings up a PE 1709 version. Is it safe to assume that all the files and drivers necessary to boot in 1903 is the same as was with 1709? 133940
  5. Windows Media Creation tool Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Media Creation tool Question: My PC keeps freezing on me and because of my idiocy I did not create a restore drive or create a new install media when I upgraded Win 7 to Win 10. I am needing to reset my Win 10 system and I need to run the media creation tool to help resolve this issue. My question is do I...
  6. Media Creation Tool Question

Media Creation Tool Question: If I use the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB flash drive and then use the flash drive to do a clean install of Windows 10, will WinRE be used for any part of the process? I’m asking because I have an old laptop running Windows 10 that doesn’t like the latest...
  7. Media Creation Tool question

Media Creation Tool question: Hi, I have never had any problems using the Media Creation Tool to perform a Windows 10 clean installation until yesterday so I have a couple of questions. 1. The tutorial here says after going to the Microsoft site and selecting the Download Tool (Media Creation Tool)...
  8. Media Creation Tool question

Media Creation Tool question: I plan on doing a clean install. My question is do I still need to upgrade to windows 10 first or can I just enter the windows 7 key during the clean install of windows 10? Thank you for this information 9372
  9. Media Creation Tool Question

Media Creation Tool Question: I have a USB installation thumb drive that I created using the Media Creation Tool back in August 2015 to clean install on a new laptop. I may have the time I need to upgrade my desktop and I am preparing everything I need for a clean install. Will I need to create a...
  10. Question about media creation tool

Question about media creation tool: Hello guys. I have just downloaded media creation tool from MS. File version says 10.0.15063.0 Is this the correct version for CU? Can I download the ISO and upgrade my current Anniversary Update? 81291