Windows 10: Two-Step Verification notifications no longer work after using code

Discus and support Two-Step Verification notifications no longer work after using code in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I had to log into my MS account one time without my two-factor device being online, so used the "I have a code" method (which, incidentally, takes more... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Oubadah, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Oubadah Win User

Two-Step Verification notifications no longer work after using code

I had to log into my MS account one time without my two-factor device being online, so used the "I have a code" method (which, incidentally, takes more steps than it should). Now every MS login defaults to the code method, and when I click "Send an identity verification request to my Microsoft Authenticator app", it never sends the request. How do I re-enable the automatic Approve/Deny two-factor verification notifications?

:)

Oubadah, Oct 16, 2017
  2. Entegy Win User

two step verification code

If it's WP8 (you can check by going to Settings>about>more info and posting the FULL OS version in a reply here), then you can just generate an app password at
    account.live.com/p and use that instead of your normal password. Once you're signed into your account, the first thing you should do is redownload the Authenticator app and set it up on your phone again.

Once you have Authenticator set up again, go to Settings>phone update and check for updates. If your phone has 8.1 available, it will be upgraded, and you'll be asked to sign into your Microsoft again, but this time, you'll be able to use your normal password
    and have the code ready for verification! Two-Step Verification notifications no longer work after using code ;)

Entegy, Oct 16, 2017
  3. Entegy Win User
    two step verification code

Hi,

Is the phone asking for a verification code or saying your password is wrong? Or more direct, do you know if the restore is running Windows Phone 8.0 or 8.1?

If you were using the Authenticator app before the restore, then that app is long gone. You should have been forced to add other authentication methods to your account to help prevent lock out from your account. These other methods include sending the verification
    code to your email or a text to your phone number. You can check what other security info you have on your account at
    account.live.com/p. It is in here you can also disable two-step authentication until you get your account back in order.

The other method I have seen happen is if the phone number on your SIM card matches the phone number stored as security info on your account, then the phone will authenticate your account automatically, but this only works if your phone is on WP8.1.

Entegy, Oct 16, 2017
  4. Two-Step Verification notifications no longer work after using code

Hi Oubadah

Head to account.microsoft.com and review your security. Not sure exactly what you mean you had to log in without your two factor device but then used "I have a code". If you didn't have your device where did you get code from?

Anyway, head to your account and set it up again. I have one account using an authenticator app, Google's, and all other using simple text. I find it just as easy and I believe it will be simpler to recover from lost / damaged phone.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 16, 2017
  5. Oubadah Win User
    I did have the device, it just didn't have an internet connection itself, therefore, no push notifications.

This is what you're usually presented with after entering your password:

Two-Step Verification notifications no longer work after using code [​IMG]

(and you get an approve/deny push notification on the phone)

This is what I'm presented with now:

(and no notification on the phone)

This happened ever since I used the following method to log in once:

(then typed in the 8 digit code from the phone app)

You might think that selecting "Send an identity verification request to my Microsoft Authenticator app" would make it revert to the original method, but it doesn't. It doesn't even send the request at all. Getting sick of Microsoft's broken authentication systems.

Oubadah, Oct 16, 2017
  6. Okay. When you enter code you are checking off, assuming the devices are yours, "Don't ask me again"

I think you still need to head to account, sign in there, answer challenges and confirm setup.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Two-Step Verification notifications no longer work after using code

1. Two-Step Verification notifications no longer work after using code - Similar Threads - Step Verification notifications

2. two step verification

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    two step verification: How do I turn two step verification off in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-step-verification/5498ac50-1353-4147-a1df-63fb4e008a90
  3. two step verification

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    two step verification: How do I turn two step verification off in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-step-verification/5498ac50-1353-4147-a1df-63fb4e008a90
  4. two step verification

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Two step verification code will not infill in box

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two step verification code will not infill in box: I receive two step verification code on cell phone just fine but when I try to enter the code on my PC the space remains blank and number won't enter thus blocking me from accessing all accounts that require 2 step authorization. I tried typing number and "submit" even tho...
  6. Two step verification code will not infill in box

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two step verification code will not infill in box: I receive two step verification code on cell phone just fine but when I try to enter the code on my PC the space remains blank and number won't enter thus blocking me from accessing all accounts that require 2 step authorization. I tried typing number and "submit" even tho...
  7. Two-Step Verification Process

Two-Step Verification Process: I changed my phone number and I can't add my current number without verifying my identity with the old one. I don't have access to my previous phone number. what can I do? Microsoft associates won't receive my phone call as this is a 'password' problem that can be solved...
  8. Two Step verification not working everytime

Two Step verification not working everytime: Recently I was notified that my Microsoft account password had been changed, and I had not changed it. I've been in the process of increasing my security by adding the two step verification. It seems to work sporadically. I have signed into my microsoft account online and...
  9. two-step verification

two-step verification: I having started having trouble with two-step verification. Long ago "Verify your identity" displayed all verification options email or mobile. At some point, I only had the mobile option display. This was fine because that is the method I use. In the past ~two weeks, the...
  10. Two step verification

Two step verification: When I try to sign into a google account on my desktop, I get a popup message (not a text message) on my phone asking me to confirm the the sign in attempt, "Yes" or "No". But it never works. I wait and wait for it to be recognized, and I am finally forced to "choose...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. VERIFICATION THAT I NO LONGER WORK