Windows 10: Two W10 drives

Discus and support Two W10 drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just got a new DELL with a single HDD. I would like to take the system drive from my old HP Pavilion and install it as a second drive in the DELL... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mangurian, Nov 24, 2015.

1. mangurian Win User

Two W10 drives

I just got a new DELL with a single HDD. I would like to take the system drive from my old HP Pavilion and install it as a second drive in the DELL (The drive is a very nice new WD). When I first boot up, the PC will see two system drives.

• Will this cause a problem?
    • How can I make the added 2nd drive non-system?
    • If I follow the answer to question 2 above, what changes do I have to make to my boot stuff?

Sorry that my terminology may be off ("boot stuff"), but I don't know the correct words.

Thanks for any plain English answers,*Wink

:)

mangurian, Nov 24, 2015

2. Two drives, two OS (Vista, W10) and one computer?

An SSD is always much faster than a hard drive. If it's the right size then I'd try it instead with a vastly better Clean Install of Windows 10 like the gold standard compiled here: Clean Install Windows 10
    Be sure to unplug the other hard drive during the install so it doesn't use that boot manager to configure the Dual Boot which would make the SSD not independently bootable. Afterwards if you still want to run both you can boot your choice via the BIOS Boot
    Menu key at startup, or each can come and go as you please. Flight Simulator is no longer supported but might be able to run, including trying it in Compatbility Mode: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows I
    would not personally install Vista on any PC, but if you want to try installing it you can test how it if or how it would run by installing it first on the SSD to check. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I'll
    keep working with you until this is resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 24, 2015
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Two drives, two OS (Vista, W10) and one computer?

In theory, installing the same license on more than one drive, even on the same computer is not allowed. In practice I have seen it working. Just no guarantee it will continue to work. Switching between one HD drive and the other can confuse the activation
    system. Yes, I suspect you will be happiest with Win10 on the SSD. Using the instructions it should be easy to setup a VM that you can run Vista inside of.

Rohn007, Nov 24, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Two W10 drives

Press F2 (or F10 or whichever is) when you switch on your computer to enter BIOS. Then look for boot priorities. Since you have two hard disks, there should be a hard disk priority setting. Make sure the new disk is second on the list, so your computer will try to boot from your original disk first.

spapakons, Nov 25, 2015
  5. mangurian Win User
    Can I simply reformat the 2nd drive or will that screw things up?

Thanks for your previous help.

mangurian, Nov 25, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    You can, but you'd have to get it in the machine first; otherwise, obtain a sata to usb adapter and format it from 'outside' the machine.
    Best to follow spapakons's suggestion and format it after it's in the machine.

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Two W10 drives

1. Two W10 drives - Similar Threads - W10 drives

2. Unable to Map Network Drive since W10 upgrades

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Map Network Drive since W10 upgrades: I have a local NAS connected to my home Router, and for many years have happily connected to the individual HDD’s by ‘Mapping the drives’There is a mapping Utility which runs and identifies IP address of NAS and the volume, but when I try to connect gives ‘Failed to map...
  3. Unable to Map Network Drive since W10 upgrades

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Map Network Drive since W10 upgrades: I have a local NAS connected to my home Router, and for many years have happily connected to the individual HDD’s by ‘Mapping the drives’There is a mapping Utility which runs and identifies IP address of NAS and the volume, but when I try to connect gives ‘Failed to map...
  4. Unable to Map Network Drive since W10 upgrades

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. When restoring W10 from drive, do you get to choose which drive to restore to?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When restoring W10 from drive, do you get to choose which drive to restore to?: I'm trying to restore W10 from a usb thumb drive. When I go to Restore, does it give me a choice of which drive to restore TO? I REALLY don't want it to simply overwrite my C: drive, but want it on a different partition which I've already created. Anyone know anything about...
  6. When restoring W10 from drive, do you get to choose which drive to restore to?

When restoring W10 from drive, do you get to choose which drive to restore to?: I'm trying to restore W10 from a usb thumb drive. When I go to Restore, does it give me a choice of which drive to restore TO? I REALLY don't want it to simply overwrite my C: drive, but want it on a different partition which I've already created. Anyone know anything about...
  7. When restoring W10 from drive, do you get to choose which drive to restore to?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Why is my USB2 External hard drive no longer recognized by my W10 desktop PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my USB2 External hard drive no longer recognized by my W10 desktop PC?: My old Seagate USB2 external hard drive is used to input movies, pictures & music to my TV via a receiver. When infrequently I need to modify its content I do so by copying files directly from my W10 desktop PC. Now, while its TV play is still fine, my PC does not recognize...
  9. Why is my USB2 External hard drive no longer recognized by my W10 desktop PC?

Why is my USB2 External hard drive no longer recognized by my W10 desktop PC?: My old Seagate USB2 external hard drive is used to input movies, pictures & music to my TV via a receiver. When infrequently I need to modify its content I do so by copying files directly from my W10 desktop PC. Now, while its TV play is still fine, my PC does not recognize...
  10. Why is my USB2 External hard drive no longer recognized by my W10 desktop PC?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware