Windows 10: Two win10 computers, one can access nas files the other cannot

Discus and support Two win10 computers, one can access nas files the other cannot in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently obtained a new Surface Pro 4 running win10 pro to replace an older laptop also running 64b win10 pro. The old laptop can access all of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JohnSc, Dec 30, 2016.

1. JohnSc Win User

Two win10 computers, one can access nas files the other cannot

I recently obtained a new Surface Pro 4 running win10 pro to replace an older laptop also running 64b win10 pro. The old laptop can access all of the files on my NAS Buffalo TeraStation via a router (both hardwired and wireless). The new computer can access the TeraStation with the browser and can "see" the TeraStation in windows explorer. Both computers are using the same workgroup. Both computers have the same workgroup password and I have been able to share files between the two computers. However, with the new computer, when I attempt to browse the TeraStation files with the new computer it reports "The username or password is incorrect". I have verified that I am using the same userid and password when windows explorer requests these data (over and over) but it won't take. I am at a loss. I don't want to change any settings on the TeraStation, since it is working with old computer and I really don't want to lose this capability (or the data). I need help. Any suggestions?

:)

JohnSc, Dec 30, 2016

2. Network Printer and NAS not found by one Computer out of 5 in private Network

Hi,

I have a private Network with five Computers (all have Win10 installed), two Network Printers and a central NAS, connected via WLAN to the router (Fritzbox).

While four out of the five Computers work absolutely fine, having full connectivity to and visibility of all devices, the fifth Computer (let's call this one "Computer E" does not see the Printers nor the NAS.

The Expression "does not see" means:

- cannot ping the Printers nor the NAS (Response time out),

- cannot connect via browser

- cannot find & install Printer

- cannot access the NAS.

- with the arp -a command I can see that both Printers and the NAS are up and running.

I tried already to disable Windows Firewall - no success

I tried to install the Printer via its ip address - unsusscessful (not found)

The IP addresses of all devices in the Network are fixed.

All other Computers can see & connect to the Printers and the NAS.

All other Computers can see & connect to Computer E

Computer E can see all other & connect to Computers (A-D)

Computer E can see & connect to the router

I have searched for several hours through mocrosoft Support pages as well as across the Internet - did not find anything that helped me.

Who can help me please?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

ChristianVölcker, Dec 30, 2016
  3. slimcode Win User
    One specific UNC path suddenly not working on one specific Win10 machine

Hi,

A month or two ago, my main computer stopped being able to access my NAS' UNC path (\\corbeau\...). It used to work.

• I do not remember changing anything on that NAS
    • Other Win10 machines can access that same UNC path
    • The problematic machine can access the NAS by using its IP in the UNC path (\\192.168.2.10\...)
    • All machines can access other machines by their UNC path (\\cardinal\... or \\epervier\...)
    • A ping for the NAS name from the problematic machine fails to resolve
    • Pings from other machines work
    • Every machine can ping other machines by their name

I'm totally lost. Where should I look for to resolve this very annoying issue?

Thanks.

slimcode, Dec 30, 2016
  4. Two win10 computers, one can access nas files the other cannot

Welcome to the TenForums.

I don't have a NAS but in reviewing your situation and referencing their forum I would suggest you take the working computer and log in your NAS as the admin. I know you don't want to change any settings so just look.

There has to be a panel about accounts, authorities etc.

While the Buffalo forum does not appear to be overly active it is being used. Have you reviewed any of their articles?

Everything else - Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Caledon Ken, Dec 30, 2016
  5. JohnSc Win User
    Caledon Ken, thanks for the response.
    Yes, I have scanned the TeraServer forum and have found very little associated with win10. I am waiting for membership authorization before I can ask a specific question. However I have discovered that if I remove all file access restrictions on the TeraServer I can access my files via windows explorer. So I believe that this verifies that it is a file restriction problem. However this still doesn't explain how I can access protected files from two of my now three computers (win10, win10 pro and the problem win10 pro), which seems to point to a win10 problem rather than a TeraServer one. I have attempted to match screen to screen network related settings for the two win10 pro computers but much of this is mysterious to me and may have missed something in drilling down through the screens. Additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JohnSc, Dec 31, 2016
  6. John Galt Win User
    The next step is to setup an all new username/password on the NAS and see if all three computers can access.

After that, consider booting the problem computers into Safe Mode w/Networking, and then look at making new user profiles on the problem computers.

John Galt, Dec 31, 2016
  7. I would also disable the firewalls, on new machine, and run a test. It's like a port is blocked on new device.

Caledon Ken, Dec 31, 2016
  8. JohnSc Win User

John, I appreciate your suggestions.
    1. verified that all machines are using the same WorkGroup name.
    2. verified that all machines are using the same file name protection passwords.
    3. verified that the new computer can access the NAS files when all access control on the NAS is disabled.
    4. as soon as I protect a single NAS file with WorkGroup protection the new computer is unable to access anything on the NAS
    5. have assigned default login/password in "manage windows credentials" to no avail: signin popup appears as soon as I attempt to access the NAS.
    6. changed default "manage windows credentials" account/password on older working computer and it gained NAS file access without any popup appearing.
    7, spent hours reading very old comments on Buffalo TeraStation usergroup (it is an old machine) and found nothing newer than win7. Even then, no similar protection problems were found.
    8. both the new problem computer's and older working computer's are running win10 version 1607, build 14393.576.

I continue to believe that the problem is with some, unknown to me, setting within the new computer. I can access the NAS files with all NAS protection disabled. Not a very good situation.

I still believe that it is something in my new computer that is causing the problem.

Conclus

JohnSc, Jan 2, 2017
  9. JohnSc Win User
    A thought, but probably a red herring:
    A associate, who also has a TeraServer reminded me that I had a similar problem when I had upgraded an even older computer from XP to Win7 2011. Checking my back mail I found that I did use a registry mod that I found at http://www.tannerwilliamson.com/wind...samba-smb/394/ to get access to the TeraServer. I haven't applied this change to the Win10 computer that can access the TeraServer files, although it was an upgrade from Win7.

Today I found Windows 10 & network share access denied - Solution which also suggests a register hack to fix an access problem. I try to stay away from register hacks but may try this after I find enough disk space to backup what I already have.

JohnSc, Jan 2, 2017
  10. JohnSc Win User
    Following my previous post I came across I have a Buffalo TeraStation HD-HTGL/R5 network attached storage which suggested modifying using group policies to change the LmCompatibilityLevel to "Send NTLM response only". Easy to do and it worked. I reset the file protections on the TeraServer and have been able to access all of them.

My problem has been resolved.

JohnSc, Jan 2, 2017
  11. John Galt Win User
    Good news.

I assume you made the setting on Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level.

I'd check to see if this will work for you with the key set to level 5, NTLMv2 only. This is the highest security option.

John Galt, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Two win10 computers, one can access nas files the other cannot - Similar Threads - win10 computers access

2. one user can access, other user cannot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    one user can access, other user cannot: Two Win10Pro vers 20xx computers, Ethernet LAN. In compD (destination): - password protected sharing is OFF - shares give full control permission to Everyone. CompS (source) UsernameS (standard account) can access compD (dest) which also has UsenameS. CompS Explorer lists...
  3. Two Windows 10 computers, one can access Win98 pc, the other can't.

Two Windows 10 computers, one can access Win98 pc, the other can't.: I have two Windows 10 computers, one can access files on a Win98 pc, the other can't and produces error 0x80070035 when I try. A: connects - Windows 10 Home in v18.0.363 HP spectre laptop. B: fails - Windows 10 Pro v10.0.19041 in Dell T1700 destop. C: Homebuilt Windows 98...
  4. Win10 PC cannot see NAS and other devices on network. Laptop can.

Win10 PC cannot see NAS and other devices on network. Laptop can.: I have tried everything I know of to try and connect my PC to NAS. Stopped working a few weeks ago. All network sharing profiles are ON. Set to Private Network. Workgroup is Network name and is ON. Ran check on Powershell and SMB2 is installed. Nbtstat says shows NAS name...
  5. Cannot Access NAS-server after Win10 update

Cannot Access NAS-server after Win10 update: I recently bought a laptop, and now it cannot access my Synology DSM213 in File Explorer. The NAS showed up on the network on my laptop, but not in File Explorer, and when trying to open it, it would have me access it through a web browser. I want it treated like a...
  6. Cannot access files on Nas

Cannot access files on Nas: On 1803 (latest update) & 1809 I cannot access files on my nas or connect to my Nas web gui with jumbo frames enabled. This is happening on Intel & Realtek nic's. This had been working on all machines until the latest update Win10 Pro and Home. Disabling jumbo frames...
  7. Two Win 10 computers. One can access the other, but it is one way only.

Two Win 10 computers. One can access the other, but it is one way only.: Older HP desktop can access new Asus laptop but the Asus cannot get into the HP. Have Norton Security installed on both. I've tried disabling firewalls. Nothing works. Both computers can access Internet....
  8. Cannot access NAS from One User

Cannot access NAS from One User: Hello! Yesterday, I came back to my computer, only to find I cannot access my NAS. I went on another computer in my house, attached through LAN and it worked. I also went to another user on my computer and it worked, but on my user it did not. Naturally, I tested and...
  9. Two Windows 10 computers can access others files with sharing disabled

Two Windows 10 computers can access others files with sharing disabled: I have a laptop and a desktop, both running Windows 10 on the same login. I have been modifying network settings, and I have noticed that if my laptop has network discovery totally disabled, but I enable it on my desktop, my desktop can start accessing the laptops files....
  10. One computer cannot access other network computers.

One computer cannot access other network computers.: I have three windows 10 PCs and one NAS on my network. One PC (Lenovo 220X) and the NAS are hardwired. The other two are wireless (Surface Pro 1 and Surface pro 4) The surface pro 4 can see but not access either of the two other PCs. The other PCs can see and access each...