Windows 10: Two Windows 10 computers can access others files with sharing disabled

Discus and support Two Windows 10 computers can access others files with sharing disabled in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a laptop and a desktop, both running Windows 10 on the same login. I have been modifying network settings, and I have noticed that if my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by leftisthominid, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Two Windows 10 computers can access others files with sharing disabled

I have a laptop and a desktop, both running Windows 10 on the same login.

I have been modifying network settings, and I have noticed that if my laptop has network discovery totally disabled, but I enable it on my desktop, my desktop can start accessing the laptops files. The same thing works vice versa.

Is this because both computers use the same login? Otherwise this seems like a big security flaw! How do I fix this?

:)

leftisthominid, Nov 25, 2016

2. Win 10 workgroup

I have two computers running Windows 10 that used to both have access to the other's shared files. Now the sharing is one way only and I have a program on the one that can't be accessed that I NEED to access with the other computer. Help!!

ElizabethRebufat, Nov 25, 2016
  3. cannot access local user accounts

In my desktop computer (windows 7) there were 1 administrator account and two user accounts. All 3 were local user accounts. Every user account had read access to the shared files of the other two accounts. The administrator account had read and write access
    to the other two user accounts. There are two more laptops (with one administrator account each) in the house network, and every one of the three computers had access to each others' shared files.

I chose not to install updates during the upgrade, and otherwise I just followed the instructions on the screen. Now the shared files are shown in "network" but they are not accessible. The popup window says: "windows cannot access \\computername\C\users\accountname.
    Contact your network administrator to request access". This happens not only between the user accounts of the desktop computer but also between the desktop computer and the other two laptops.

Can this problem be solved?

Thanks again.

kostaspikoulas, Nov 25, 2016
  4. M4v3r1ck Win User

Two Windows 10 computers can access others files with sharing disabled

Do your tweaks for networking - how you want it - in both computers and then reboot both.

Greetz

M4v3r1ck, Nov 26, 2016
  5. Tried that, changes nothing. One computer can disable network discovery, but the other can access it anyways.

I tried creating new accounts on my laptop and desktop to see if the secondary accounts can access my main user folder, but I keep getting the following message on both machines

"User Profile Service service failed to sign in / User profile cannot be loaded"

leftisthominid, Nov 26, 2016
  6. SoFine409 Win User
    If you login with a local account then all you need to do to test it is to change the password on one of the PCs. You don't need to create another account. I have multiple PCs networked and use the same local name and password to connect them and have never had an issue.

SoFine409, Nov 26, 2016
  7. They aren't local accounts. Their passwords are synced together through a Microsoft account associated with my gmail.

If I change the password on one computer, then it changes on the other too. What I want to do is to create a local account to confirm that the local account cannot access the Microsoft account on the other computer. The issue is Windows is not letting me login through another account, because of the "User Profile Service service failed to sign in / User profile cannot be loaded" error.

8. Neemobeer Win User

If you're using the same Microsoft account on both, then that is why you can access the remote files. Network discovery doesn't proven access, it only prevents you from seeing a remote computer when you click on Network. Network discovery uses the SSDP protocol to locate other devices on the same LAN segment. If you want to prevent each computer from accessing the files on the other open services.msc and disable the server service

Neemobeer, Nov 26, 2016
  9. I think you mean prevent access instead of proven access. That is what they're saying on Reddit too. I just want to see it with my own eyes (I have a fair bit of OCD), but both of my computers are having issues creating additional users due to this "User Profile Service service failed to sign in / User profile cannot be loaded" problem (full thread here Creating new account yields: - Windows 10 Forums). Any clue on how to fix that (that does not involve reinstalling Windows)?

10. Neemobeer Win User
    Yeah typo there. The most common reason a user profile wont load is due to a secuirty product locking up the NTUSER.DAT file. You can try temporarily disabling any secuirty software.

Neemobeer, Nov 27, 2016
  11. The issue is, for example, if I go and try to make an account "Test-account", Windows never actually generates a C:/User/Test-account/ folder

leftisthominid, Nov 27, 2016
  12. Neemobeer Win User
    See if the user profile service is running, if it is try restarting it and try creating an account again

Neemobeer, Nov 27, 2016
  13. Two Windows 10 computers can access others files with sharing disabled

That does not work.

leftisthominid, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Two Windows 10 computers can access others files with sharing disabled - Similar Threads - computers access others

2. Can access a shared folder on one computer, but not on the other.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can access a shared folder on one computer, but not on the other.: Hi all,One of our users had a network shared folder mapped as a drive on his previous laptop.He got a new laptop from us lately, and when we tried to access the same path with the same user credentials, it said he doesn't have the permissions for that folder.It's weird and...
  3. Can access a shared folder on one computer, but not on the other.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can access a shared folder on one computer, but not on the other.: Hi all,One of our users had a network shared folder mapped as a drive on his previous laptop.He got a new laptop from us lately, and when we tried to access the same path with the same user credentials, it said he doesn't have the permissions for that folder.It's weird and...
  4. windows 10 sharing pc requiring password to access other computers - Unable to Disable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 sharing pc requiring password to access other computers - Unable to Disable: We have 8 Windows 10 PCs that are shared within the same Private Network and all are hardwired. 7 of them work perfectly, but one of the PCs is not cooperating. If we trying to connect to this PC from any of the other 7 PCs, it prompts for Network Credentials note: Password...
  5. windows 10 sharing pc requiring password to access other computers - Unable to Disable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 sharing pc requiring password to access other computers - Unable to Disable: We have 8 Windows 10 PCs that are shared within the same Private Network and all are hardwired. 7 of them work perfectly, but one of the PCs is not cooperating. If we trying to connect to this PC from any of the other 7 PCs, it prompts for Network Credentials note: Password...
  6. windows 10 sharing pc requiring password to access other computers - Unable to Disable

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Two Windows 10 computers, one can access Win98 pc, the other can't.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two Windows 10 computers, one can access Win98 pc, the other can't.: I have two Windows 10 computers, one can access files on a Win98 pc, the other can't and produces error 0x80070035 when I try. A: connects - Windows 10 Home in v18.0.363 HP spectre laptop. B: fails - Windows 10 Pro v10.0.19041 in Dell T1700 destop. C: Homebuilt Windows 98...
  8. Share files on two computer wirelessly

Share files on two computer wirelessly: How do I share files on two computer wirelessly? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/share-files-on-two-computer-wirelessly/ee2de97e-983a-492c-a3ae-803ffe6c6dff"
  9. Network File Share on two Windows 10 computers

Network File Share on two Windows 10 computers: I have two Windows 10 computers. I want to be able to share files between them. In the file explorer "Network" on the desktop I can see the laptop (and desktop) and can drag files from the laptop to the desktop. In the Network on the laptop however I cannot see the desktop...
  10. Two win10 computers, one can access nas files the other cannot

Two win10 computers, one can access nas files the other cannot: I recently obtained a new Surface Pro 4 running win10 pro to replace an older laptop also running 64b win10 pro. The old laptop can access all of the files on my NAS Buffalo TeraStation via a router (both hardwired and wireless). The new computer can access the TeraStation...