Windows 10: Types of System Image

Discus and support Types of System Image in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; First off: I know about Macrium. Also, I use FreeFileSync to backup my personal files (Documents, Pictures etc.). This post concerns system images... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Stevekir, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Stevekir Win User

Types of System Image

First off: I know about Macrium. Also, I use FreeFileSync to backup my personal files (Documents, Pictures etc.). This post concerns system images only: those made by Windows Backup and Restore routine..

There are 3 ways of creating a System Image using Windows Backup and Restore routine. Please see the attachments. 1 involves manually creating a System Image; 2 involves using Windows Backup and Restore routine with it set to the default "Let Windows choose (recommended)" which results in a System Image (forget the personal files); and 3 which is set using "Let me choose, You can select libraries and folders and...." which I have set up (at least I think I have) to produce only a System Image.

My question: Will each of the three above setups (especially 3, my home-grown one) produce a System Image capable of restoring the OS? EDIT: "2" in this para corrected to "3".

I ask because my computer shop has asked me to have a System Image file available which he can use to restore my system following a fault. He said that it would be safer to make two, in different ways, and I plan to do this by creating 1 (weekly) and 3 (daily). (2 can take a long time when personal files have been much revised). Thanks for help.

Types of System Image [​IMG]

:)

Stevekir, Aug 5, 2016

2. Repeated failure of creation of system image

Hi, Viren.

Thank you for posting your response. I understand the issue that you are facing, and we in Community will try to resolve it the best possible way we can.

This issue might occur, when some of the Windows files got corrupted.

I suggest you to perform System File Checker (sfc) scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Vanessa Sohtun, Aug 5, 2016
  3. Repeated failure of creation of system image

System image where I prepare backup file from which I have recovered my system when It got corrupt in windows 7. Same option is also available for windows 10.

I go to back up setting and than windows 7 backup setting and on the left hand side there is option to create system image

I have tried system image that include c drive which failed repeatedely

Viren Vaghasiya, Aug 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Types of System Image

Hi, for Windows 10, to completely restore it, you need an image including the relevant set of partitions. Think partitions, not folders.

Here's Macrium's Backup Windows selection:

Beyond that, recovery also depends on what you may have on other partitions. E.g. relocated folders (Documents, Desktop etc) - relocation of these is supported from a tab in the property sheet.

So to restore a working situation you may need to image other partitions as well, depending on your particular configuration.

dalchina, Aug 6, 2016
Thema:

Types of System Image

1. Types of System Image - Similar Threads - Types System Image

2. System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery: I used the Backup and Restore Windows 7 tool to create a system image, which I stored on my NAS. I then copied that image to a new, clean drive. I attempted to use that to image a drive on a new computer using the Windows Recovery environment and selecting Recovery from a...
  3. System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery: I used the Backup and Restore Windows 7 tool to create a system image, which I stored on my NAS. I then copied that image to a new, clean drive. I attempted to use that to image a drive on a new computer using the Windows Recovery environment and selecting Recovery from a...
  4. system image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system image: windows 11 update for may 2022.system image backup on external ssd drive went from 2 minutes to 20 minutes.what is the problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image/283a418d-6882-4ba2-9933-61fbc9ed50a0
  5. System Image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Image: After a computer 'crash' I am trying to restore from a System Image on an external hardrive after rebooting from a usb recovery. However it fails because Windows 10 Cannot find the Image on the hardrive. What is happening here?...
  6. system image

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    system image: is my hdd bad dell optiplex 755 error in repair area says cant find system image thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image/4a6cb120-d65e-452f-a2fb-3eeb9a3a75e9
  7. System Image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Image: How can I create a backup System Image? File History backs up my files to dual external hard drives (one off line at all times) but those won't do me any good in the event of a hardware disaster. I want to make a copy of all software on my system so I can recover on...
  8. System image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System image: Am currently doing a system image (using the built in Windows 10 tool) for first time. My external HD is a 3 TB seagate connected via USB 3.0. The image I am taking is of my C: drive (Samsung Evo SSD, 300 gig out of 500 full) plus the secondary drive which only currently has...
  9. System Image

System Image: I wanted to create a system image to backup my PC as this is the second time I've had to format my PC. But when it asks me where to save it, I'm unable to choose the option, "On a hard disk". [img] 17309
  10. System Image

System Image: Hi. I am trying to restore a system image to my laptop. I received the following error message: A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the application event log for more information.(0x80042302). I Have restarted the VSS in Windows 10....