Windows 10: UAC doesn't work for Windows Defender

Discus and support UAC doesn't work for Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi guys, I am trying to temporarily disable my Windows Defender, and whenever I click on one of the two Off buttons I need, it does the UAC thing... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by bluegreenturtle, Jul 21, 2017.

1. UAC doesn't work for Windows Defender

Hi guys,

I am trying to temporarily disable my Windows Defender, and whenever I click on one of the two Off buttons I need, it does the UAC thing where it asks if I want to continue. Unfortunately, even if I click Yes, the button turns to Off for a split second before going right back to On. What's happening?

:)

bluegreenturtle, Jul 21, 2017

2. Meaning of "To help protect user privacy, these items are hidden. Click View to see the items." in Windows Defender

It is usually when you are using multiple account and if you don't want your standard user or other account have access to list of malwares and then figure out what happens and even try to restore them. For this reason, by default Windows Defender hides
    list of items. However, this is applicable if UAC is on, so you need to allow UAC to be able to view items or depend on UAC setting, you may just click on it to view items without UAC verification.

Cyber_Defend_Team, Jul 21, 2017
  3. D Col Win User
    Programs in the startup folder don't autostart

Funny how the standard response is always to clean boot or reinstall Windows. Well this problem is a serious one. placing a program in the registry run folder also doesn't work for some programs. I cannot auto start Mozilla Thunderbird no matter where I
    put it. It did work using a utility called Startup Delayer until the last Windows update. But I did get an error message from that program stating that the program could not start because it was unable to launch UAC elevated. I suspect this has been the problem
    all along. It is a UAC issue. Windows had this issue with Windows 10 before where it was unable to launch any website using Mozilla Firefox.

Bottom line is Microsoft is goofing up UAC in an attempt to secure the OS, but causing many issues in the process. By the way, setting UAC to it's lowest level doesn't fix this issue.

D Col, Jul 21, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

UAC doesn't work for Windows Defender

Hey bluegreenturtle,
    Windows Defender Real Time Protection is designed to turn itself back on, but I haven't seen it do so immediately.
    What version of Win10 are your running ? (WinKey + r, type winver)
    What two buttons are you referring to ? (A screen shot would be nice)

Edit: Had commands backwards .. fixed now
    You can try the following, to turn Off/On Real Time Protection.
    Open PowerShell as Admin
    (Turn Off)
    Set-MpPreference -DisableRealtimeMonitoring $true
    (Turn On)
    Set-MpPreference -DisableRealtimeMonitoring $false

Eagle51, Jul 21, 2017
  5. I tried it in Powershell like you showed. The command was accepted but nothing actually changed. I'm using version 1703 Windows Home. Here is what it looks like (I need to turn off both protections):

https://imgur.com/gallery/WdLOm

bluegreenturtle, Jul 22, 2017
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    Sorry about that, I got them backwards...

Open PowerShell as Admin
    (Turn Off)
    Set-MpPreference -DisableRealtimeMonitoring $true
    (Turn On)
    Set-MpPreference -DisableRealtimeMonitoring $false

Once you Disable Real Time Protection, I don't think you need worry about Cloud Protection.

Eagle51, Jul 22, 2017
  7. Still no

Disable Realtime Monitoring

It actually won't let me add an exclusion either, although it did allow me turn off other sections like "Check apps and files."

8. Eagle51 Win User

Hmmm... Looking at your last screen shot there's no space between the commands., it's all run together.
    Set-MpPreference (spacebar) -DisableRealtimeMonitoring (spacebar) $true

Eagle51, Jul 22, 2017
  9. I did that and it said I don't have enough permissions. I double checked and all of the admin stuff is just fine. (I'm the only user anyway.)

10. Eagle51 Win User
    You sure you ran PowerShell as Administrator ?

WinKey + s, type in powershell, right click on PowerShell in list and Run as Administrator.

Eagle51, Jul 22, 2017
  11. TairikuOkami, Jul 22, 2017
  12. Run a virus that disables it! (Jk)
    Try typing UAC in cortana, then click change user account control settings and switch it to never notify, then try disabling Windows Defender
    (You can switch it back to always notify after defender is off)

TheGreenNinja9, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. UAC doesn't work for Windows Defender - Similar Threads - UAC doesn't Defender

2. Windows Defender doesn't work

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender doesn't work: I didn't install any antivirus on my computer but Windows Defender says You are using other antivirus providers and it turned off Real-Time protection https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-doesnt-work/50e65f73-d1c3-498f-83b4-a1203797f336
  3. Windows Defender doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender doesn't work: I didn't install any antivirus on my computer but Windows Defender says You are using other antivirus providers and it turned off Real-Time protection https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-doesnt-work/50e65f73-d1c3-498f-83b4-a1203797f336
  4. Windows Defender doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My window defender doesn't work

My window defender doesn't work: My window Defender still Doesn't work after doing all 8 steps and my defender says something about my IT administrator. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/my-window-defender-doesnt-work/76aa442f-09f8-4c4d-b758-d75c2706b5ee
  6. windows defender doesn't work

windows defender doesn't work: [ATTACH] I can't use it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-doesnt-work/9c326b8f-0c72-490c-8a7d-db7ffc533555
  7. Windows Defender doesn't work...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defender doesn't work...: Hey I've had this weird problem that Windows Defender doesn't properly load, I wanted to turn off Real-time protection so I can download a few files. However, this is what it showed. [ATTACH] I'm honestly confused what just happened, I can't even manage my Windows Security...
  8. windows defender doesn't works

windows defender doesn't works: In the internet i found that i can upgrade my drivers on Lenovo laptop, so i download somthing from lenovo site and i thought this app should upgrade my drivers. and i upgraded my bios_versioni don't remember well but it was about the bios than after i start windows i notice...
  9. Windows defender offline doesn't work.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows defender offline doesn't work.: I routinely scan using Malwarebytes and the full windows defender scan. Today I did so and didn't find anything. I tried the offline scan and I saw the windows defender startup screen but the scan didn't start, it went straight to the OS. I disabled malwarebytes and tried...
  10. Windows Defender still doesn't work

Windows Defender still doesn't work: My Windows Defender is still stuck at the blank screen "Security at a Glance". I tried several solutions, from uinstalling third party anti-virus software, executing sfc/scannow to scan for files, to even resetting the PC, but it still doesn't work. Assistance would be much...