Windows 10: UAC message when starting Regedit

Discus and support UAC message when starting Regedit in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is a recent change, with no obvious cause. If I try to run Regedit (via Win 10 Run box) I get this message: [img] I'm also getting it for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Terrypin, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Terrypin Win User

UAC message when starting Regedit

This is a recent change, with no obvious cause. If I try to run Regedit (via Win 10 Run box) I get this message:

UAC message when starting Regedit [​IMG]

I'm also getting it for a few other programs that never used to be a problem (may post separately about that issue). But it seems particularly absurd that an MS program built into Win 10 Pro should display it.

Anyone know how I might fix it please?

Note: My UAC setting is on the third option, i.e. one above totally OFF.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Jan 8, 2017

2. UAC virtualization of regedit

Hello,

Thank you for the update.

We understand that you have posted the query in TechNet forums and it seems that EckiS has given a solution to your query on Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 2:27 PM.

Please let us know if you require any other assistance.

Thank you.

Have a great day!

Amarjeet_Paul, Jan 8, 2017
  3. UAC virtualization of regedit

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For
    added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft
    Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

For further assistance in this regards, I suggest you to please get in touch with our
    TechNet team through below link to resolve the issue:

Technet forums - Windows 10 IT Pro

Our TechNet team will assist you better in this regard.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Jan 8, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Not really, when you consider the potential damage it can inflict on the system in the wrong hands (not your hands, malware and the like). You get the same UAC if you want to open a 'Command prompt (Admin)'.

Create a scheduled task to run it elevated, and a shortcut to run the task.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Bree, Jan 8, 2017
  5. RolandJS Win User
    There are some utilities and thingies out on The 'Net that reportedly help one to minimize if not completely eliminate UAC popups, however, I found out -- there are unintended consequences. I set my Windows 7 UAC to the lowest setting and kept on going.

RolandJS, Jan 8, 2017
  6. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks all. I'll try that Task Scheduler method, although I was hoping for something less complicated.
    @RolandJS: Is that 'lowest setting' the same as in Win 10, the fourth option, switching off security altogether? That's what I did initially, but subsequently chickened out and moved it back a notch to the third level. Now seriously considering reverting to OFF.

Terrypin, Jan 9, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    I've been getting that message for quite awhile now, not a big thingy.

Berton, Jan 9, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Is clicking on one extra confirmation really that big of a deal when it is there to ensure that the real user is the one that is accessing the most sensitive parts of the OS that can be used by a virus or malware to totally wipe out the system (at a minimum)?

NavyLCDR, Jan 9, 2017
  9. RolandJS Win User
    Well, I cannot recommend that lowest setting, I only did it for a specific set of purposes; I think one notch up is the minimum we can and ought to do.

RolandJS, Jan 9, 2017
  10. Terrypin Win User
    I agree that the physical effort for each Regedit usage is small. But I think it's an unintelligent and thoughtless design to repeatedly ask me the same question about the same program. I've been the sole user of a PC for 34 years. So, just as I don't need a written warning every single time I cross the road or drive my car, I object to being unable to switch off this tiresome UAC message.

Terrypin, Jan 9, 2017
  11. Cliff S New Member
    Malware don't care! That UAC is there so Malware cannot(of at the very least makes it harder) use it. Optimal setting would be to use a non-admin account where you need to give your password for every system change(but who does this?).

Cliff S, Jan 9, 2017
  12. Win10Pro Win User
    Hi Terry,

maybe try this: go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System and in the right pane modify the value of the EnableLUA DWORD value and set it to 0

In theory it's the same as with UAC dialog box but the Registry modifications have the highest priviledges.

Win10Pro, Jan 9, 2017
  13. Terrypin Win User

Thanks, but no change!

I reckon I use regedit no more than 20-30 times a week, so it's no big deal, of course. More a matter of academic curiosity now!

FWIW, I've this morning managed to solve the UAC problem for another of my programs (the search tool Everything) that I use hundreds of times a week, so that was genuinely bugging me. It turned out that I'd checkmarked the option within the program itself to run as administrator.

After removing that, happily I could start Everything with no UAC nonsense, as I've been doing for months on this PC and years on my XP PC.

But I don't see how that helps with the Regedit puzzle...

Terrypin, Jan 9, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    regedit 20-30 times per week?!? On a personal computer that you are the only user on?!? Wow.

NavyLCDR, Jan 9, 2017
  15. Terrypin Win User
    To close this off, pleased to report that I found a solution, albeit with caveats.

I implemented the neat hack I found here:
    windows - Force a program to run *without* administrator privileges or UAC? - Super User

If I now navigate to any file, such as C:\Windows\regedit.exe, and right click it, I get a new context menu entry:

That does not display the UAC message.

The 'caveats' come when using it in practice. I don't know how to make a one-click shortcut that will do it (without writing a macro or script).

So far I've just I placed a shortcut to regedit.exe in Quick Launch and can therefore launch Regedit without obstruction by right clicking that shortcut and choosing 'Run without admin rights'.

But, of course, that's probably slower than my usual method of running regedit from the Run box. And for any other programs that generate the UAC message it's definitely slower, including the extra UAC click.

Anyway, my post was prompted largely by curiosity and to gripe about dumbed-down security. *Wink

BTW, can anyone explain why running a program without admin rights (the solution for Regedit and for Everything as I described earlier) reduces the UAC warnings? Intuitively I'd have expected the opposite.

Terrypin, Jan 9, 2017
Thema:

1. UAC message when starting Regedit - Similar Threads - UAC message starting

2. Error message when starting Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error message when starting Windows: Every time I start the PC, I get that can't find: C:WINDOWS\system\StartupCheck.vbsCan I find it somewhere and download it again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-message-when-starting-windows/4195a55a-3002-442e-90f0-9535c478baa5
  3. Error message when starting Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error message when starting Windows: Every time I start the PC, I get that can't find: C:WINDOWS\system\StartupCheck.vbsCan I find it somewhere and download it again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-message-when-starting-windows/4195a55a-3002-442e-90f0-9535c478baa5
  4. Error message when starting Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Avoiding UAC prompts when starting self-made batch scripts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Avoiding UAC prompts when starting self-made batch scripts: Hello, Is there a way to avoid UAC prompts when starting self-made batch scripts by "signing" them and making an exception for all scripts containing this signing or is this just not possible ? submitted by /u/Alpha-Inc [link] [comments]...
  6. Regedit key set to defaul when I start the Application

in Windows 10 Customization
    Regedit key set to defaul when I start the Application: I add a new key to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\120.0 but when I start the photoshop, the key that I added is disappear. When i close the application and check back, the key is reappear. How do I fix this?...
  7. UAC Settings & Administrative Messages

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC Settings & Administrative Messages: Hi, Ever since the new windows 10 update, I have not been able to access the message that pop ups and allows you to grant access in saying yes or no. I have tried changing my UAC to never notify but still requires me to grant access as an administrative. The screen pops...
  8. UAC popups even when uac is disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC popups even when uac is disabled: As always the first thing i do on a windows installation is disable that damn UAC, i don't need windows to add another popup "are you sure you want to run this" when i myself click on an executable to run it. Now, for some weird reason on Windows 10, even with uac disabled it...
  9. Getting UAC message when opening Macrium Reflect?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Getting UAC message when opening Macrium Reflect?: Hello, Just wondering why I get the UAC message > 'Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?' when I open Macrium Reflect? I don't get this message when I open any other app (eg Handbrake, Musicbee, Paint.net etc)? Can somebody enlighten me...
  10. regedit crashes when searching

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    regedit crashes when searching: On one of my Win10 systems regedit crashes on any search I try. Sometimes it will find a match but then continuing the search for another instance will eventually lead to a regedit crash. The symptom is that regedit looks active and the task manager shows that it is using 25%...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. uac mesage registry