Windows 10: UAC Security Issue - Enables Windows Backup To Load Malicious Content

Discus and support UAC Security Issue - Enables Windows Backup To Load Malicious Content in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; For what it's worth. I don't know if this has been fixed or not, thus I am posting it just in case. If it has been corrected, then disregard or delete... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by N9NU, Mar 27, 2017.

1. N9NU Win User

UAC Security Issue - Enables Windows Backup To Load Malicious Content

For what it's worth. I don't know if this has been fixed or not, thus I am posting it just in case. If it has been corrected, then disregard or delete this. I have not seen any reference to this on the forum here. Tnx Matt.

While the User Access Control for Windows 10 is designed with security in mind, a new UAC bypass technique discovered by security researcher Matt Nelson renders the security measure useless. The hack relies on modifying the Windows registry app paths and manipulating the Backup and Restore utility to load malicious code into the system.

How it works

The bypass strategy takes advantage of Microsoft’s auto-elevation status that is assigned to trusted binaries, which are created and digitally signed by the software giant. That means the trusted binaries don’t display a UAC window when launched despite the security level. Nelson further explained in his blog:

The sdclt.exe binary is the built-in Backup and Restore utility that Microsoft introduced with Windows 7. Nelson explained that the sdclt.exe file uses the Control Panel binary (control.exe) to load the Backup and Restore settings page when a user opens the utility, however, sdclt.exe sends a query to the local Windows Registry to obtain the control.exe’s app path before it loads control.exe. The researcher acknowledges the fact that this poses a problem as users with low privilege level can still modify registry keys. More to the point, attackers can alter this registry key and point it to malware. Windows would then trust the app and withdraw UAC prompts since sdclt.exe is auto-elevated.

It is worth pointing out that the bypass technique applies only to Windows 10. Nelson even tested the hack on Windows 10 build 15031. To address the security flaw, the researcher recommends that users set the UAC level to “Always Notify” or remove the current user from the Local Administrators group.

Tim
    ARS

:)

2. Windows 10 Edge opens, closes,

Hello,

Please re-enable UAC, to make sure your system remains safe and secure and to suppress this issue.

Regards.

Kapil Arya MVP, Mar 27, 2017
  3. I am not able to open UAC Settings from built in administration account

I got a new machine which has windows 10 on it. When i try to open UAC Settings from my default built-in account it doesn't opens up. When i tried to enable UAC from Registry at this path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLUA
    it says "Cannot edit: Error Writing the value's new contents".

Also, When i try to open local security policies, i get an error "You are not permission to perform this operation. Access is denied".

Shailesh2010, Mar 27, 2017
Thema:

UAC Security Issue - Enables Windows Backup To Load Malicious Content

1. UAC Security Issue - Enables Windows Backup To Load Malicious Content - Similar Threads - UAC Security Issue

2. Issues Enabling Secure Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues Enabling Secure Boot: Hello Microsoft Answers community,I'm having a bit of trouble enabling Secure Boot on my PC.When I enable Secure Boot and install the default secure boot keys, my PC will no longer boot and will get stuck in an Automatic Repair loop.Once I disable Secure Boot, Windows will...
  3. Issues Enabling Secure Boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues Enabling Secure Boot: Hello Microsoft Answers community,I'm having a bit of trouble enabling Secure Boot on my PC.When I enable Secure Boot and install the default secure boot keys, my PC will no longer boot and will get stuck in an Automatic Repair loop.Once I disable Secure Boot, Windows will...
  4. Silentcleanup task - bypass UAC security issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Silentcleanup task - bypass UAC security issue: Hello! This issue with the task below and the setting to run with highest privileges has been flagged as a security risk. I know individually you can just uncheck the box, however I've been tasked to do this enterprise wide vis GPO. Does anyone know of a way to do this via...
  5. Enable the encrypt contents to secure data; greyed out windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Enable the encrypt contents to secure data; greyed out windows 10?: I already tried enabling the EFS using Windows registry key, so I'm kinda at a loss here.. nothing seems to work. submitted by /u/sydneyitssydney [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jyczfc/enable_the_encrypt_contents_to_secure_data_greyed/
  6. Malicious content

in Windows 10 Customization
    Malicious content: Good Night; I'm having a problem with my laptop. Apparently I used the mrst and no virus appears. But I get obscene ads. What can I do to remove them?. Thank you Community...
  7. "Secure Content"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Secure Content": More incoherent gibberish from M$: From time to time, I get the message at the bottom of the screen: "Only secure content is displayed" That's nice, but there's an obvious question whenever I see this message: What on earth is this "secure content?" And how does M$...
  8. Network Block with UAC enabled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Block with UAC enabled: Hi, sorry for my poor english. I just realised that the Registry set "EnableUAC=1" Windows 10 is Blocking my Home Network App. With File Explorer I can acess all the Network, but from my Networking Application , it is just and simpled Blocked! With the setting =0 all is...
  9. Enable or Disable Dimmed Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Dimmed Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Dimmed Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows How to Enable or Disable Dimmed Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows When administrator account before starting a program or task that requires a full administrator access token. This prompt...
  10. Enable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows: How to: Enable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows How to Enable or Disable Ctrl+Alt+Delete Secure Desktop for UAC prompt in Windows When administrator account before starting a program or task that requires a full administrator access token. This...