Windows 10: UAC - To be or not to be?

Discus and support UAC - To be or not to be? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I find that the UAC control can be a bit overbearing, not sure if thats the best description but - would it make any difference if I shut it down???... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by elbmek, Oct 24, 2017.

1. elbmek Win User

UAC - To be or not to be?

I find that the UAC control can be a bit overbearing, not sure if thats the best description but - would it make any difference if I shut it down???

:)

elbmek, Oct 24, 2017
  2. MD-to-be Win User

problems with Active Synch 3.7

I have the iPaq h4150

MD-to-be, Oct 24, 2017
  3. MD-to-be Win User
    problems with Active Synch 3.7

yes, I did and got the same result.

MD-to-be, Oct 24, 2017
  4. UAC - To be or not to be?

TairikuOkami, Oct 24, 2017
  5. elbmek Win User
    Interesting, so THATS how this you cant run this without admin privileges. The problems I have had with that over the months!!! If I had known it was UAC, I'd have nuked it ages ago. Cheers Tair'

Brinks' explanation seems a lot to do, think it would be easier to slam UAC into next week!!!

elbmek, Oct 24, 2017
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    Would disabling UAC make a difference?

YES

In Windows 8 and later the slider in accounts control will not disable UAC. You need to do that in the registry. But then you would find that none of the modern Apps and a number of other things will not work. This is by design and not a bug. In the future there may be further limitations. The option to disable UAC was designed for exceptional situations, not for general use.

Then there are the security issues. Without UAC you will be running with a full time admin level account. Best practice with the NT platform has always been to use a standard account for general use, reserving the admin level account for when it was actually needed. That goes back to 1993 when security wasn't nearly the problem it is today. But UAC makes following that practice much easier than it once was.

Without UAC malware will be able to do pretty much whatever it wants, when it wants. And it won't ask for your approval. Don't assume your security software will keep you safe. It won't. Malware authors are experts at evading such protection and are getting quite good at it. With UAC enabled malware will more limited in what it can do. This can be overcome but it is another layer of protection.

Good security always consists of multiple layers. Any one layer may be circumvented while having multiple layers makes this more difficult. UAC is just one more layer, but a very useful one.

Security always has it's price. And not just with computers.

LMiller7, Oct 24, 2017
  7. pparks1 Win User
    Personally I won't turn it off. It's there to provide protection. Sure, it can be annoying when you launch something that requires admin access and you have to click on Yes, but the benefit is that if you are running something like a browser and all of a sudden you click on a link and it tries to escalate to admin, you can tell it know and prevent something bad from happening.

At work, we all run as standard user accounts on our Windows boxes. We have a secondary account that is a member of the local admins group on the computer. But we are NOT allowed to log into Windows with that secondary account. We are required to use the Standard account and when something comes up requiring admin access, we have to enter in our secondary user account and password in the UAC box. As a Systems Engineer, I do an awful lot that requires admin access, but even so I still have to follow the rules and deal with the prompts. To gain access to a server, I have to RDP into a jumpbox, which prompts me for a username/password and then requires 2 factor authentication. Once on the jumpbox, I can then RDP from that location onto a server. If it something like a domain controller, I have to do 2 factor authentication again. But in the wake of all of the companies suffering data leaks, etc...it really should not be viewed as optional. It's a must today.

Leave UAC on, even if it protects you just 1 time, that should be enough.

pparks1, Oct 24, 2017
  8. elbmek Win User

LMiller and pparks, ok, will do as you say, and leave it. My impression of UAC was a parental thing, apparently its more than that, thank guys appreciate the input.

elbmek, Oct 24, 2017
  9. .

I was able to turn it off in Windows 10. Not advising anyone to do it

UAC - To be or not to be? [​IMG]

Josey Wales, Oct 24, 2017
  10. elbmek Win User
    mine is on third notch, yes, I knew you could bottom it, which is what I meant by switching off.

elbmek, Oct 24, 2017
  11. I know, but the party I quoted said it could not be done. Where you have it is the best place.

Josey Wales, Oct 24, 2017
  12. pparks1 Win User
    Yeah, it's not a parental thing. It helps provide security by running all apps and tasks in the security context of a non-administrator account. This helps to prevent automatic installation of unwanted applications, and helps to ensure that something doesn't change your system settings on you. When you get to an app that requires more permissions than what is available to a standard user account you are greeted with the UAC prompt. When you click on Yes, you are basically elevating up to admin level credentials for the duration of that task, and only for that task.

As an example, if you launch Windows Explorer (Not Internet Explorer), right click on "This PC" and notice that Manage has the yellow and blue shield on it. This signifies a task that requires UAC acknowledgement to become an admin. Once you say yes, you have run Computer Management as an admin and can perform all tasks contained within as an admin.

But let's say that you launch something like notepad.exe. If notepad starts to open and then UAC pops up, it should leave you thinking "what in the world does this need admin access for, something here isn't right, I should say no". And by saying no, you prevent something bad from happening.

So it requires you to know as a user what you are doing. if you click on things you know require admin access, expect the dialog and say yes. However, if it pops up and you weren't expecting it, you might get concerned.

pparks1, Oct 24, 2017
  13. LMiller7 Win User

For anyone who thinks UAC is too inconvenient, consider the situation as it was in 1996 when NT4 was released. Consider you are logged in with a standard account which even then was a best practice. Security was a concern but not nearly what it is today. Now you want to do something that requires an admin account. There was no UAC, no fast user switching, and no "run as Administrator" option. You had to log out of your account which closed all of your applications. Mind you, that probably wasn't many. You could then log in with the admin account and do what was required. You could then log back in with your standard account, reload your applications, and resume working.

By modern standards NT4 was very primitive and many things that people now take for granted simply did not exist. This was necessary. The minimum RAM requirement for NT4 Workstation was 12 MB, 16 MB for the server version. While trivial by modern standards that was a lot in 1996 and many thought these requirements excessive. There simply wasn't room for sophisticated security features like UAC. That didn't come until Vista was released 10 years later.

LMiller7, Oct 24, 2017
  14. elbmek Win User
    you got that right too. MY first pc in 1995 was a 108MB HDD with 64MB RAM and it was the biggest rip off in the history of pc's. But at that time I didnt know any better. £800 it cost for parts which probably cost £5!!! The local company went bust and I danced on their 'grave'.

When I found out later on that it was totally rubbish I began building my own, and did that for approx 10 years. Then the prices tumbled and I realised it was cheaper 'off the shelf.

elbmek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. UAC - To be or not to be? - Similar Threads - UAC

2. Opening some programs takes too long to trigger UAC prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening some programs takes too long to trigger UAC prompt: Opening any program has a 2-5s delay before the UAC prompt appear. But opening any other programs has no delay.Notes:sfc /scannowthe 3 DISM thingfast boot is disabled3 month old pc, all brand newonly 1 user account in pcall programs are installed in ssd hdd for storage...
  3. Opening some programs takes too long to trigger UAC prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Opening some programs takes too long to trigger UAC prompt: Opening any program has a 2-5s delay before the UAC prompt appear. But opening any other programs has no delay.Notes:sfc /scannowthe 3 DISM thingfast boot is disabled3 month old pc, all brand newonly 1 user account in pcall programs are installed in ssd hdd for storage...
  4. Opening some programs takes too long to trigger UAC prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Disable UAC for non admin on domain

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable UAC for non admin on domain: I have a Windows 11 computer. UAC doesn't allow me to lower the UAC settings for a non admin user on this computer. It keeps telling me to log in to an administrator account to do so but when I log into that administrator account it doesn't change it for the non admin user. I...
  6. Disable UAC for non admin on domain

Disable UAC for non admin on domain: I have a Windows 11 computer. UAC doesn't allow me to lower the UAC settings for a non admin user on this computer. It keeps telling me to log in to an administrator account to do so but when I log into that administrator account it doesn't change it for the non admin user. I...
  7. UAC, User Account Control, dialog in Windows 10 opens EACH time for every single PDF.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UAC, User Account Control, dialog in Windows 10 opens EACH time for every single PDF.: I am using a Win 10 Home PC. I have Adobe Acrobat , all updates done. Several days ago, the following problem started. Whenever I try to open a PDF using Acrobat, the User Account Control dialog opens. The UAC opens EACH time for every single PDF in the same session. On a...
  8. UAC, User Account Control, dialog in Windows 10 opens EACH time for every single PDF.

UAC, User Account Control, dialog in Windows 10 opens EACH time for every single PDF.: I am using a Win 10 Home PC. I have Adobe Acrobat , all updates done. Several days ago, the following problem started. Whenever I try to open a PDF using Acrobat, the User Account Control dialog opens. The UAC opens EACH time for every single PDF in the same session. On a...
  9. Take back control. Become super user admin with control of gp and uac.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Take back control. Become super user admin with control of gp and uac.: I’ve been hacked now my devices are infected with malware. It’s a key logger rat and it’s taking all my personal data, all my emails basically taken control of everything. It has all uac permissions and group policy in its favour. I tried to net user myself in but was denied,...
  10. Take back control. Become super user admin with control of gp and uac.

Take back control. Become super user admin with control of gp and uac.: I’ve been hacked now my devices are infected with malware. It’s a key logger rat and it’s taking all my personal data, all my emails basically taken control of everything. It has all uac permissions and group policy in its favour. I tried to net user myself in but was denied,...