Windows 10: UBUNTU and derivitives - edit files as root with KDE Plasma

Discus and support UBUNTU and derivitives - edit files as root with KDE Plasma in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there If you need a GUI editor to edit files as root e.g samba.conf then from the console / terminal : hrafn@siggi:~$ SUDO_EDITOR=kate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Mar 31, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

UBUNTU and derivitives - edit files as root with KDE Plasma

Hi there

If you need a GUI editor to edit files as root e.g samba.conf then from the console / terminal :

hrafn@siggi:~$ SUDO_EDITOR=kate sudoedit /etc/samba/samba.conf
    [sudo] password for hrafn:

Then you'll get into the editor in root mode - the above example uses KATE as the editor but you can use whatever editor program suits you.

Seems a silly restriction not to allow GUI editor in SU mode if you are authorized as root -- you are much more likely to make mistakes using a CLI editor such as VI -- especially if you need to compare files.

I'm all in favour of security but this restriction seems BONKERS to me.

cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 31, 2018
  2. Teddy2016 Win User

idea about fixing my update problem.....

Hi!

Mint has, like most distro's a spin with pre-installed apps. Like firefox, when I like chrome. I thinking debian core or Arch most likely debian, it is a little easier for me. With KDE Plasma, and build up from there. Icon theme's I am never satisfied.

Teddy2016, Mar 31, 2018
  3. Herbfur Win User
    wintypes.dll is corrupted on Windows 10 and getting error message "msdt.exe-Bad Image: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wintypes.dll is either not designed to run on Windows. Error status 0x000012f

Oh, yeah, and I dual-boot with Ubuntu and recently installed KDE, which FAILED.

I don't think this would be a problem as NTFS is read-only to EXT4.

Herbfur, Mar 31, 2018
Thema:

UBUNTU and derivitives - edit files as root with KDE Plasma

1. UBUNTU and derivitives - edit files as root with KDE Plasma - Similar Threads - UBUNTU derivitives edit

2. robocopy files but exclude files in root

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    robocopy files but exclude files in root: Hello,I want to copy this directory, but exclude the files in root a,b,c:Source:c:\src\test\ - a.txt - b.txt - c.txt - sub1\ - d.txt - sub2\ - e.txtDestination:c:\dest\test\ - sub1\ - d.txt - sub2\ - e.txtI tried:- robocopy c:\src\test...
  3. robocopy files but exclude files in root

in Windows 10 Gaming
    robocopy files but exclude files in root: Hello,I want to copy this directory, but exclude the files in root a,b,c:Source:c:\src\test\ - a.txt - b.txt - c.txt - sub1\ - d.txt - sub2\ - e.txtDestination:c:\dest\test\ - sub1\ - d.txt - sub2\ - e.txtI tried:- robocopy c:\src\test...
  4. Linux VM's - KDE plasma 5.20 available

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Linux VM's - KDE plasma 5.20 available: Hi folks for those trying Linux VM's why not give KDE plasma a try as the GUI (assuming you want a GUI on your Linux VM). Available for most distros . It says beta but the proper release is out. KDE Plasma 5.20 Beta is out. Final Release Next Month. IMO it's the best GUI...
  5. KDE Plasma runs on WSL 2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    KDE Plasma runs on WSL 2: [ATTACH] Oh boy. No one told me graphical interface works natively on WSL 2. I managed to run the KDE plasma on ubuntu in wsl 2. Note: this is not using x-server. This is full-fat plasma....
  6. KDE on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    KDE on windows 10?: Hi there, I'm wondering if you can change the desktop environment for windows. Preferably KDE neon or manjaro. Is this possible? if so, how? submitted by /u/HenriHawk_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hjp2bg/kde_on_windows_10/
  7. UBUNTU VM with KDE Plasma GUI - without whole KUBUNTU overhead

UBUNTU VM with KDE Plasma GUI - without whole KUBUNTU overhead: Hi folks. For Ubuntu users who still like the much nicer (by far IMO) KDE Plasma GUI but don't want the whole KUBUNTU overhead you can do it this way open a terminal and simply type : sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop Note though before logging in to the plasma...
  8. Root (SU) access in Ubuntu 16.x and 17.x but file manager quirks

Root (SU) access in Ubuntu 16.x and 17.x but file manager quirks: Hi there. normally SUDO is sufficient but (for beginners here - old users will probably know the trick so excuse- we were all noobs once !!) if you need SU access in ubuntu simply type SUDO SU and then you are in !! Note though ubuntu rel 17.x has a little nasty in it...
  9. KDE apps on Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KDE apps on Windows: Yea I have tried KDE apps in WSL which is not bad, failing that I just install some distro on an HD on my old machine.
  10. Too much time on my hands today -- KDE apps on Ubuntu on Windows WSL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Too much time on my hands today -- KDE apps on Ubuntu on Windows WSL: Hi folks Too much time I think on my hands today !! That's dangerous for computer users !! Messing around with desktop GUI's on Ubuntu on Windows. Some KDE apps running fine -- KPAT -- all sorts of card patience games Dolphin (KDE file manager like Windows...