Windows 10: Ubuntu on Windows - accessing Network drives - solved

Discus and support Ubuntu on Windows - accessing Network drives - solved in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks tinkering around with UBUNTU on Windows (WSL) -- great fun You can access Networked drives without using SAMBA This command does it :... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Apr 23, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Ubuntu on Windows - accessing Network drives - solved

Hi folks

tinkering around with UBUNTU on Windows (WSL) -- great fun

You can access Networked drives without using SAMBA

This command does it :

sudo mount -t drvfs '\\server\share' /mnt/share

haven't worked out though how to "get at" Windows local drives.

This command works for getting at external USB's though
    $ sudo mkdir /mnt/d (only needed ist time to create target directory for the mount)
    $ sudo mount -t drvfs D: /mnt/d

to unmount safely.

$ sudo umount /mnt/d

For GUI programs see my other post in this thread

Some will run fine - others will need DBUS -- not implemented in WSL.

However a TCP get around (I think Linux users are Hacker by nature !!!)

sudo sed -i 's/<listen>.*<\/listen>/<listen>tcp:host=localhost,port=0<\/listen>/' /etc/dbus-1/session.conf

This will use tcp instead of Linux / Unix use of sockets.

I think this whole idea is quite fun -- probably not what Ms intended but a great idea having WSL in the first place -- am sure it will get better and better - especially with a few hacks and tweaks !!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 23, 2018

2. Windows-Ubuntu Dual Boot, Cannot write or edit files in Ubuntu.

Hello

I Dual booted ubuntu 17.04 last year and have been using windows 10 along side linux ubuntu 17 for over an year now. I upgraded my ubuntu to 17.10 already. Worked fine.

I have this problem:

I cannot open paste into or edit files in D drive when accessing the files from ubuntu.
    I asked this problem on askubuntu :here

I got this answer of restarting windows, since if windows isn't shut down properly, it locks the drives so we cannot access those drives on ubuntu. It was solved at that time.

Recently I got the SAME PROBLEM AFTER UPDATING WINDOWS 10 (the regular updates). Does this means that windows is locking the drives always?

Please let me know how can I access my files in UBUNTU stored in D drive(with respect to Windows).

If any details from my question are missing, please let me know.

Thank you.

Hemal Mamtora

HemalMamtora, Apr 23, 2018
  3. Gymbos Win User
    Networking problem between Windows and Ubuntu

Went on a short trip, took my Windows 10 laptop, turned off the Ubuntu computer and my wife's Windows 10 computer. When I returned, I turned everything back on and nether Windows computer could see the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS computer. On the Ubuntu computer,
    Files/Network clicking on Windows Network received "Unable to access location - Failed to retrieve share list from server: No such file or directory" error. Both Windows computers were able to use the Ubuntu before the trip.

Any suggestions?

Gymbos, Apr 23, 2018
  4. Ubuntu on Windows - accessing Network drives - solved

You are really digging deep into this WSL world.

I like it. Keep going! *Thumbs

slicendice, Apr 23, 2018
Thema:

Ubuntu on Windows - accessing Network drives - solved

1. Ubuntu on Windows - accessing Network drives - solved - Similar Threads - Ubuntu accessing Network

2. [SOLVED ]Unidenified Network, No Internet Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    [SOLVED ]Unidenified Network, No Internet Access: Edit: I solved this by creating a system backup, and resetting windows. Not sure what caused the issue but that fixed it. Yesterday I booted up my PC and can not connect to the internet. It's a wired connection, and under network connections it states "ethernet, unidentified...
  3. Cannot access network drive

Cannot access network drive: I have a Surface Go with Windows 10. I have a HDD plugged into my router and have been able to access it through Windows Explorer with no problem. Now it will not appear in Windows Explorer. I can access it with an app on my phone so I know the drive is working. I have tried...
  4. Ubuntu Share not accessible

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ubuntu Share not accessible: I have a Ubuntu pc in my network that acts as a Server for my files. I could access the samba share normally until a few days ago but now I can't access the share anymore. When I try to connect it, I get an error saying "An error occurred while reconnecting Y: to: \\ip\name...
  5. Can't access network drives

Can't access network drives: Hello, I have a very peculiar issue that in my 28 years of experience using Windows, never seen it before. I have two systems: Windows 10 Business on Surface Book 2 Windows 10 Business on VM In both systems I am logged in with the same AzureAD account. Both systems...
  6. Unable to access a network drive

Unable to access a network drive: I have a mapped network drive that I can see but cannot access. The message from " Windows Security" Enter network credentials to :HD name My Computer name Password I have entered my password from my computer. I have tried my network password neither works. I states...
  7. Can't access network drive

Can't access network drive: I did a clean install of 1809 on my secondary system a couple of days ago to get rid of an untraceable problem that caused WD to shut down. The WD problem was solved, but I am now unable to access a drive (E:) from other PCs. Another drive (F:) is immediately accessible on...
  8. Unable to access Network drive

Unable to access Network drive: My laptop cannot open this external hard drive, it always used to. Troubleshooting hasn't helped and a chat didn't resolve anything either. The laptop sees the hard drive on the network but says it cannot open it. Any ideas? ***Title modified from: dlink 26BCD6***...
  9. Quick Access for Network Drives

Quick Access for Network Drives: I am having problem adding folders from a network drive to the Quick Access. Firstly I can only drag and drop into the QA in explorer, as right clicking option doesn't work and it only allows one folder at a time to be included. Local folders are not a problem and any number...
  10. Networking issue - Windows and Ubuntu

Networking issue - Windows and Ubuntu: Went on a short trip, took my Windows 10 laptop, turned off the Ubuntu computer and my wife's Windows 10 computer. When I returned, I turned everything back on and nether Windows computer could see the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS computer. On the Ubuntu computer, Files/Network clicking...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. accessing a network drive from ubuntu on windows