Windows 10: UBUNTU VM with KDE Plasma GUI - without whole KUBUNTU overhead

Discus and support UBUNTU VM with KDE Plasma GUI - without whole KUBUNTU overhead in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks. For Ubuntu users who still like the much nicer (by far IMO) KDE Plasma GUI but don't want the whole KUBUNTU overhead you can do it this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Mar 30, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

UBUNTU VM with KDE Plasma GUI - without whole KUBUNTU overhead

Hi folks.

For Ubuntu users who still like the much nicer (by far IMO) KDE Plasma GUI but don't want the whole KUBUNTU overhead you can do it this way

open a terminal and simply type : sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop

Note though before logging in to the plasma desktop you will need to install a terminal (console) program so after installing the plasma desktop also type : sudo apt-get install konsole. it's called Konsole no typo !!.

Now logout and you can login to the much nicer KDE environment without all the overhead -- you need to install then whatever KDE apps you want in addition - I'd suggest samba and dolphin (the file manager).

Finally to run a GUI type file browser in SU mode you'll have to use Nautilus from the console) type "sudo Nautilus" ignore the messages and you'll get the file browser in su mode and you can edit / create / save files in root directories such as /etc/samba/smb.conf.

I don't like the Gnome desktop if i'm using a GUI --- KDE is so much nicer, more configurable and for Windows users a lot more familiar.

UBUNTU VM  with KDE Plasma GUI  - without whole KUBUNTU  overhead [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 30, 2018
  2. houlid Win User

Sync symbian 9.1 (or higher) with linux / kubuntu

the opensync plugins work well with kubuntu, but not with kde 4.2. The evolution opensync plugin works without problem, and with kontact you can use the kde 3.x versions where it works without problem also. Actually the kdepim is being reworked in kde
    4.3, and so there is a hope the opensync works again in kde 4.2 or kde3.x.

It's possible to do all the transfer between your E71 and linux by using obexftp or obexfs.

There is also the Exchange sync from google, you sync your E71 with gmail contacts + google calendar, it works very well, and you can integrate gmail and google calendar with kontact or evolution, and so you can modify your contacts/appointments on your E71,
    sync with google Exchange, and from there have them automatically on your linux desktop. This is what i'm actually using, and it's a charm!

Hope this helps.

houlid, Mar 30, 2018
  3. n8juuseri Win User
    N8 connecting with linux

Has anyone managed to connect the N8 with linux? The microUSB connected didn't make the N8 to show up as mass memory as the E65 did - automagically. Using the kubuntu 10.04 the bluetooth connection fails as well (couldn't tell if the fault was by the kde
    bluetooth framework or the N8 or both, though).

n8juuseri, Mar 30, 2018
  4. SIW2 Win User

Yes, KDE is attractive. can you get other selected applications in the same way, e.g. Kate ?

5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @SIW2
    yes just do sudo apt-get install <name of application>

For example I still like old fashioned spider solitaire (without the ads on the Ms store) so type sudo apt-get install kpat

UBUNTU VM  with KDE Plasma GUI  - without whole KUBUNTU  overhead [​IMG]

Don't forget of course to install the Konsole app before installing any other app or you'll have to use the terminal on the GNOME desktop.

A good bit torrent client is deluge and also tor browser install easily.

Have fun

cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 30, 2018
  6. swarfega Win User
    How about using KDE Neon or is that too much of an overhead? I hear its fairly light on the number of applications installed.

swarfega, Mar 30, 2018
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @swarfega

Haven't tried that but there's no reason why it shouldn't work -- install and then add the relevant apps you want.

The base KDE works so neon should too IMO. I might have a go if I get a bit bored later this weekend !!!

The main thing is to avoid the overhead of having the entire KUBUNTU desktop !!! just installing the base KDE stuff plus applications works just fine with barely any extra overhead.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 30, 2018
  8. swarfega Win User

Neon is a good distro if you want the latest KDE.

swarfega, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. UBUNTU VM with KDE Plasma GUI - without whole KUBUNTU overhead - Similar Threads - UBUNTU KDE Plasma

2. no sound in ubuntu VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no sound in ubuntu VM: There's no sound in Ubuntu while on windows 11 virtual machine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-sound-in-ubuntu-vm/a0d6c7c5-c83b-40db-8f9a-636d41b3b11b
  3. no sound in ubuntu VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    no sound in ubuntu VM: There's no sound in Ubuntu while on windows 11 virtual machine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-sound-in-ubuntu-vm/a0d6c7c5-c83b-40db-8f9a-636d41b3b11b
  4. Linux VM's - KDE plasma 5.20 available

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Linux VM's - KDE plasma 5.20 available: Hi folks for those trying Linux VM's why not give KDE plasma a try as the GUI (assuming you want a GUI on your Linux VM). Available for most distros . It says beta but the proper release is out. KDE Plasma 5.20 Beta is out. Final Release Next Month. IMO it's the best GUI...
  5. KDE Plasma runs on WSL 2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    KDE Plasma runs on WSL 2: [ATTACH] Oh boy. No one told me graphical interface works natively on WSL 2. I managed to run the KDE plasma on ubuntu in wsl 2. Note: this is not using x-server. This is full-fat plasma....
  6. UBUNTU and derivitives - edit files as root with KDE Plasma

UBUNTU and derivitives - edit files as root with KDE Plasma: Hi there If you need a GUI editor to edit files as root e.g samba.conf then from the console / terminal : hrafn@siggi:~$ SUDO_EDITOR=kate sudoedit /etc/samba/samba.conf [sudo] password for hrafn: Then you'll get into the editor in root mode - the above example...
  7. CENTOS 7 VM - GUI package manager

CENTOS 7 VM - GUI package manager: Hi there If any of you are installing some LINUX distros as VM's I recommend if you decide on CENTOS 7 to install YUMEX - a graphical package manager. [img] Add the nux-dextop repo to your repositories -- this is a Windows Forum so I won't get into the mechanics of...
  8. WiFi 802.11 overhead

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi 802.11 overhead: A point of curiosity about Wifi 802.11 ac overhead. I have a wired Ethernet Internet link which tests at around 500 megs download. Using a Wifi 802.11 connection, the download speed tests around 285 megs download. Am I correct in assuming the difference in download speeds is...
  9. Gurus -- overhead of an IDLE W10 VM on a HOST system - any ideas

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Gurus -- overhead of an IDLE W10 VM on a HOST system - any ideas: Hi there just a question to any performance gurus If you have a decent amount of RAM and adequate HDD space is there any noticeable overhead of having an idle W10 VM - or should one shut it down when finished with. By Idle I mean that a user is logged on but not doing...
  10. Will Windows 10 affect my Ubuntu VM?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will Windows 10 affect my Ubuntu VM?: I'm currently running Windows 8.1 Pro and I have a Ubuntu 12.04 VM using Hyper-V. Will updating to Windows 10 affect my VM? 9767

Users found this page by searching for:

1. run kde plasma in wsl

2. plasma desktop hyperv

3. kde plasma hyper v