Windows 10: UEFI boot -- get rid of loads of OS'es (about 7) on boot menu

Discus and support UEFI boot -- get rid of loads of OS'es (about 7) on boot menu in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Upgrading macOS destroys Windows boot too if you dual boot using EFI. It will wipe it or any other boot manager from the list. They both (Windows and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lx07, Apr 4, 2018.

1. lx07 Win User

UEFI boot -- get rid of loads of OS'es (about 7) on boot menu

Upgrading macOS destroys Windows boot too if you dual boot using EFI. It will wipe it or any other boot manager from the list. They both (Windows and macOS) like to make themselves the top dog. Linux is well behaved in that regard - I find it well behaved *Smile

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

On a UEFI bootable computer (not secure boot) I've got a menu of about 7 different OS'es when I enter the BIOS boot setup because I've tried installing and testing all sorts of OS'es at various times.

Most of these OS'es aren't on my system any more.
    Is there a way to clean these off -- a bit like the old FIXMBR on non UEFI boot systems.

Should I just refresh / re-format the boot HDD and then re-install windows or is the boot stuff in the actual computer's bios chip - in which case do I need to flash it.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 25, 2018
  3. How Should I Update To Win 10 from Win 7 when I still need Win 7?

Boot the stick using the
    BIOS Boot Menu Key
    as a UEFI device if you have UEFI BIOS which you obviously do with those settings.

Since all UEFI firmware settings are slightly different, you may need to change Boot List Option to UEFI to get the UEFI flash stick choice when you use the BIOS Boot menu key.

The Boot Priority order should always have the WIndows Boot Manager first for a UEFI install, which is why we use the BIOS Boot menu key to trigger the UEFI flash stick choice. Otherwise it will start the install over again when the install restarts.

If in doubt about any of the UEFI Firmware settings, post back the choices. Pictures can help.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 25, 2018
  4. Saltgrass Win User

Error using USB bootable Windows 10 ISO

When you use a USB drive for you media it needs to be formatted as FAT32 for UEFI. Then when you boot you may need to use some type of Boot Device Menu to select the UEFI version.

A UEFI system will normally boot from the Windows Boot Manger on an installed system. But if you put the correct DVD it should have booted after showing a message to tap a key to boot the DVD. Make sure the DVD is loaded
    before you start the boot. The media is read early in the boot process and won't pick it up if not installed prior.

When you get the GPT message, you are correct in saying the install/recovery media had been booted as Legacy. Something about you media or Bios settings are not correct.

Saltgrass, Apr 25, 2018
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    @jimbo45
    Jimbo... try msconfig. Highlight each, delete, apply, OK, exit without restart until the last one, which you would do an Exit with restart.

UEFI boot -- get rid of loads of OS'es (about 7)  on boot menu [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Apr 25, 2018
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@f14tomcat

It only sees the Windows stuff Windows 10

on F11 (BIOS enter boot menu on system re-start after power off) I see about 7 OS'es usually in the wrong order .

Can't show that image as I can't capture the screen on startup - and I can't be bothered with phone camera - still don't know how to use those !!!

Here's though what Msconfig shows

UEFI boot -- get rid of loads of OS'es (about 7)  on boot menu [​IMG]

I think the answer might be to remove all the HDD's and then enter boot and see what the BIOS shows -- although where it stores this stuff I haven't a clue.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 25, 2018
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Do the entries say something like "UEFI OS on partition x, and so on?

f14tomcat, Apr 25, 2018
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    the only clue is if I try and select one of the OS'es I've removed I get a GRUB 2 line with enter parameters or something like that -- so I might have on HDD some type of hidden /efi/boot partition.

Investigating further

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 25, 2018
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    I know if I take something like Kyhi's Rescue PE, create a patition, copy it to that partition, then remove the drive letter, it shows up just like I mentioned. Might want to use something like MiniTool to look at the boot drive (physical hdd/ssd) for unlettered partitions and Explore with MiniTool. Might give you some clues. Then just zap them.

f14tomcat, Apr 25, 2018
  10. lx07 Win User
    Perhaps (depending where you see these entries) you might want to delete them from your NVRAM which holds previous OS you booted, what order the EFI should check them etc. My EFI systems (which are Apple who do a pretty non-compliant UEFI implementations) doesn't show non-existing boot loaders even if they are in NVRAM list but yours might.

You can use bcfg from EFI shell (which I've used) or there are some other options I've not used namely efibootmbr (Linux) or EasyUEFI (Windows) which according to this post will let you delete redundant NVRAM boot entries.

You can also delete old stuff from EFI partition. That will probably be mounted at /boot or /boot/efi or if you want to do it from Windows mountvol S: /S and you'll see it mounted a S drive. Windows seems to like to have both "/EFI/Boot" and "/EFI/Microsoft" subdirectories and the rest should be obvious.

11. SIW2 Win User
    Yes, that is where the extra stuff will be.

12. topgundcp Win User
    Open Admin Command Prompt. Copy and paste to run. This should rebuild everything and eliminate all the junk:
    mountvol U: /s
    del /s /f /q U:\efi\*.*
    bcdboot c:\windows /s U: /f UEFI
    mountvol U: /d

Shutdown and Reboot

topgundcp, Apr 25, 2018
  13. lx07 Win User

This is terrible advice.

Firstly it will delete Grub which the OP is using. It isn't clear is he is using EFI stub for booting but either way deleting everything is excessive and would certainly result in him being unable to boot any of his other OS as you would delete /EFI/Grub which is where the Grub 2 loader is or EFI/Ubuntu or whatever if he is booting that way.

Secondly it will not reset NVRAM (all bcdboot does it sticks windows loader at the top of the list). All other entries remain. You can easily check this from EFI shell.

This set of commands should only be recommended if you only ran Windows which @jimbo45 certainly doesn't.

14. topgundcp Win User
    What's so terrible about it ?. If you read his original post #1. No where that he refers to GRUB except when he select one of the non existent OS listed then he gets a GRUB menu. He even thinks about formatting the Boot partition and re-install Windows so he'd get a clean Boot partition.

Using the commands above will rebuild everything from scratch. And if he wants dual boot then use bcdboot.

topgundcp, Apr 26, 2018
  15. lx07 Win User
    No they will not. They will not reset your NVRAM entries.

Honestly - try it and look.

I spend almost two weeks recently trying to dual boot Arch Linux (64 bit) and Windows (64 bit) from an old PC with 32 bit EFI. I could make Windows work (going through 32 bit grub.efi) but Linux refused to work (because of display drivers and "nomodeset" not working in kernels since about the year 2000). I failed in the end and could only run Linux without X (so no GUI) as my PC was too old.

What was interesting though is every single time I installed Windows it stuck it's boot manager first. It doesn't even shuffle the rest lower - bcdboot just replaces the first entry.

Basically it just runs this bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi which does not add it to the top it just replaces what is at the top.

If you look at the entries (I only used EFI shell bcfg boot dump and bcfg boot add 0 fs0:\EFI\Boot\Whatever.efi but perhaps you can see it in Windows too idk)

I didn't mean your advice was terrible in general - just for the OP (and anyone else) who never stop banging on about booting Linux 'cos it would break it. Depending on your EFI implementation it might be worth deleting some entries from NVRAM as well as extraneous junk from your ESP. They may also want to keep some stuff in the ESP if they are using it.

Thema:

1. UEFI boot -- get rid of loads of OS'es (about 7) on boot menu - Similar Threads - UEFI boot rid

2. Small question about OS'es...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Small question about OS'es...: I'm just wondering, could I put (for example!!) Ubuntu on my PC on another (seperate) HD and leave Windows on the main HD? (so no dualboot) How would I achieve this? 179182
  3. Getting rid of Dual boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Getting rid of Dual boot: I've just installed Windows 10 Pro on an SSD and now have a Dual Boot System with Windows 10 Home on another SSD. I would like to remove the "Home" O/S to reclaim lost disk space, apart from anything else but am concerned because UEFI BIOS will only "see" the "Home" SSD as a...
  4. Add UEFI entries to boot menu

Add UEFI entries to boot menu: I was wondering if there is any way to add a UEFI option to the bootmgr menu. I am trying to add GRUB to the boot menu; however, since Windows doesn't load anything but Windows in secure boot mode, I can't just load the GRUB file, hence the need to add the UEFI entry. My...
  5. Unable to Boot into UEFI BIOS Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Boot into UEFI BIOS Menu: Recently I wanted to install a Virtual Machine onto my computer, which for my VM requires me to change a setting in the UEFI BIOS menu for it to work. When i tried to load into the UEFI menu, with Settings->Update and Security->Recovery->Advanced Start-up->Restart Now and...
  6. Unable to Boot into UEFI Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Boot into UEFI Menu: Recently I wanted to install a Virtual Machine onto my computer, which for my VM requires me to change a setting in the UEFI BIOS menu for it to work. When i tried to load into the UEFI menu, with Settings->Update and Security-Recovery-Advanced Start-up-Restart Now and then...
  7. UEFI Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI Boot Menu: I went into my UEFI boot menu yesterday to try to boot to a USB drive and noticed the kanji-looking characters in the screen shot provided. I couldn't use the up/down arrow keys to select a different boot device. The tab key would take me to the "Enter Setup" and "Boot...
  8. Protected Boot and a VM (Not talking about UEFI)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Protected Boot and a VM (Not talking about UEFI): Hi there While reading some threads about Ms's possible insistence on "Protected Boot" in the future I was wondering what this would do to the literally zillions of Virtual machines / Virtual desktops and other "Virtual desktop Integration" schemes around the world. As...
  9. Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu

Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu: Belarc reports UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. P11-B2 Operating System: Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1511 (build 10586.494) Installed: 4/27/2016 5:58:22 AM Servicing Branch: Current Branch (CB) Boot Mode: UEFI with successful Secure Boot. This is my brother’s computer:...
  10. Windows 10 GPT/UEFI + Windows 7 boot menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 GPT/UEFI + Windows 7 boot menu: What I have: Windows 10 booting from GPT drive via UEFI. A partitioned MBR drive with two Windows 7 installations. Machine can boot into Windows 10, but not the Windows 7 installations. What I'd like: A boot menu containing all three OSes. Available tools:...