Windows 10: UEFI boot issues

Discus and support UEFI boot issues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Everyone i recently wiped my PC and reinstalled the most recent ISO from Microsoft, i changed from MBR to UEFI and i'm experiencing a few issues... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xKOLDx, Jul 26, 2017.

1. xKOLDx Win User

UEFI boot issues

Hi Everyone

i recently wiped my PC and reinstalled the most recent ISO from Microsoft, i changed from MBR to UEFI and i'm experiencing a few issues

1. turn pc on without monitor / pc on it turns on and posts but the screens are blank when i power my monitor on
    2. if my pc has been booted up and the monitor powers off for power saving or i turn it off the PC crashes completely
    3. every other time i boot my PC it starts a disk check

Hardware:
    Intel i7 4790K
    ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer A - (latest BIOS 2203)
    Kingston Hyper X 1866Hz
    XFX R9 290x Black Edition 4gb
    Samsung EVO 850 evo 250gb
    WD Mechanical Drive (storage only)

i have removed and reinstalled all drivers
    i have disabled PCIE power management under power

note: before my reinstall, i never had these problems

any suggestions you have would be greatlly appreciated

:)

xKOLDx, Jul 26, 2017

2. Dell XPS 13 9333: Sound stopped working in the middle of a video, now "no audio device installed" no matter what I try

This issue happened to me when I disabled UEFI secure boot in BIOS settings - I was installing Linux on external drive. Once I set boot mode back to UEFI Secure Boot audio device came back.

Ilya Veksler, Jul 26, 2017
  3. VictorJ27 Win User
    Windows 10 problem that happens when only when run in UEFI mode.

UEFI = slow but regular = OK

does your computer lag/slows down while starting up in UEFI then boot to windows while in safe mode?

if yes, then i believe that you should contact the maker of your mobo (motherboard) it seems that this is an issue if your mobo since it cant handle UEFI boots and is rather than not a windows issue

VictorJ27, Jul 26, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

UEFI boot issues

Hi, just wondering what the build was that you last ran successfully on your PC.

Were you running e.g. the Anniversary build or the Creator's build? (The latter is the one that was released a couple of months or so ago).

Having downloaded the latest iso, that would be the Creator's.

It would also be worth doing a disk check. However you have a SSD, so HD Tune on Kyhi's boot disk (top of the Software and Apps section) isn't useful, unfortunately, but you could use HDDScan on it.

See also
    Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

dalchina, Jul 26, 2017
  5. Hi xKoldx. Welcome to the TenForums @xKOLDx

Not to challenge you. When you said you changed MBR to UEFI did you mean you changed MBR to GPT ?

Next, what changes did you make in BIOS to support this change to UEFI boot?

I can't find that board at Asus. In your board manual look for the word CSM and have a read. When doing the clean install have secure boot and fast boot disabled in BIOS.

Assuming your HDD is blank and ready for Windows I would do this.

Boot the computer from Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD. When the first screen comes up press shift + F10. In the command window that opens run the following commands. This process will kill all data on drive, ALL !!

diskpart
    List disk
    select disk 0 (make sure disk 0 is where you want to install Windows, check twice)
    clean
    Convert gpt (if required for UEFI)
    exit
    exit

Proceed with install and let Windows create partitions it needs.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 26, 2017
  6. xKOLDx Win User
    \Ken

Thank you for your quick reply and for welcoming to the forum, you are correct i did mean GPT i have been thinking UEFI while trouble shooting not too sure why

Under boot i changed the boot from legacy to uefi i have also tried a mixture of the settings

The motherboard i own is:
    Z97-PRO GAMER | Motherboards | ASUS United Kingdom

I have tried booting with CSM enabled and disabled

I don't believe i disabled these when i did my fresh install, what effect would these of had to my installation?

My HDD is for storage my SSD is my primary drive but i can wipe it this evening and retest

i ran those commands when i reinstalled my copy of windows

xKOLDx, Jul 26, 2017
  7. xKOLDx Win User
    dalchina

sorry i hadn't seen your response

yes creators build, i will run a disk check using the tool suggested when I am home

many thanks

xKOLDx, Jul 26, 2017
  8. UEFI boot issues

The exact effect of not setting to secure boot and fast boot to disable I can't fully comment on. If Secure boot isn't disable you should not have been able to boot for external media.

Fast Boot is where I get fuzzy. These all store things, (Fast Boot, Fast Startup) and this could definitely, in my opinion, be interfering with your clean install.

When Brink says disable, it is better to follow than experiment.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 28, 2017
  9. xKOLDx Win User
    Hi Everyone

Got this issue sorted, had to reset the "power plans" within control panel then rebooted and selected high performance booting with no issues *Smile

Many Thanks

xKOLDx, Jul 30, 2017
  10. sygnus21 Win User
    Where is this coming from?

I've installed Windows 10 plenty of times with Secure Boot enabled using external drives without issue. The last being my 2013 Asus Zenbook notebook when I installed the CU version of Windows 10 from a thumb drive. And as far as I know both Windows 8 & 10 do not need secure boot disabled to install the OS.

BTW...

sygnus21, Jul 30, 2017
  11. Thanks sygnus21. I learned something. My statement was incorrect.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

UEFI boot issues

1. UEFI boot issues - Similar Threads - UEFI boot issues

2. UEFI boot start up issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI boot start up issues: Hello Microsoft Community,Looking to change boot from Legacy to UEFI and have updated my bios settings to enable UEFI and to boot from UEFI. After changing I am unable to boot and get the No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine error.From my understanding...
  3. UEFI boot start up issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI boot start up issues: Hello Microsoft Community,Looking to change boot from Legacy to UEFI and have updated my bios settings to enable UEFI and to boot from UEFI. After changing I am unable to boot and get the No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine error.From my understanding...
  4. uefi boot and boot manager issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    uefi boot and boot manager issues: i am having issues after imaging windows 10 through UEFI windows boot manager is the first boot device and i need it to include the nic. we image remotely and don't want to have to physically touch the bios every time we image...
  5. UEFI Boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UEFI Boot: Following a Windows 10 updateto version 2004 on 18thAugust 2020, my PC goes into a boot loop, I can get out of it by pressing F12 and selecting Windows Boot Manager rather than the default UEFI partition 1 on a Kingston SSD. The PC then boots and runs normally. I would like...
  6. UEFI Boot Issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UEFI Boot Issue: Heyo: I have an issue with a Dell Inspiron 5767. Basically, I had a BIOS update and now the computer isn't booting to the OS. Upon restart , it loads to automatic repair. The only thing I did was the Dell assistant upgraded the BIOS to 1.2.8. it said it successfully...
  7. UEFI BOOT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UEFI BOOT: Hi Smart People Dell Inspiron i5-3x Win10 I recently installed Crucial MS500 500MB SSD replacing a HDD after cloning (Acronis software that is provided by Crucial) and it's experiencing Boot issues. When booting normally it brings me to a screen asking me to select my...
  8. UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?: I want to enable UEFI with Secure Boot and I do have an option to enable Secure Boot. But how can I tell if I am running UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c ? Because to enable Secure Boot, machines must have UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c I went to System Information, but It...
  9. UEFI boot mode and Hiren live USB issu

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI boot mode and Hiren live USB issu: Hello once again I have a tablet. Model: Haier Y11b Now I have a Hiren bootable USB I want to boot the tablet from this USB but i am not able to do so though the USB stick is shown in the boot device menu but it wont boot instead display a black screen. Is the...
  10. UEFI booting

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI booting: I created two UEFI bootable USB drives: USB stick 1.) using windows 10 "create recovery drive" - on a 32GB usb 3.0 drive USB stick 2.) using EASE US backup/restore software - on a 4GB usb 2.0 drive Both sticks appear to be UEFI. When I put them in my windows 10 desktop...