Windows 10: UEFI Boot problem after bcedit command

Discus and support UEFI Boot problem after bcedit command in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I 'm afraid that I've made a mess in the UEFI of my laptop, that can't be fixed. The history is the following: I had a dual boot setup, Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Uzai, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Uzai Win User

UEFI Boot problem after bcedit command

I 'm afraid that I've made a mess in the UEFI of my laptop, that can't be fixed. The history is the following:

I had a dual boot setup, Windows 10 and Ubuntu, but I wasn't using the linux for a long time. Now I will need to use it again, so I decided to remove the old one (version 14) and install the most recent version.

I followed the steps in this tutorial: How To Remove Ubuntu From A Computer Dual Booting With Windows 10 (UEFI only) Everyday Linux User

In short:
    sudo efibootmgr
    sudo efibootmgr -0 1, to make windows the default boot (I guess it is here that the mess starts, beacuse I put only windows in the boot list)
    Then I deleted the ubnutu from EFI partition.

So far no problems. I was able to remove Ubuntu from booting, and was able to boot into Windows 10.
    But when I tried to boot trough a DVD to install the new Ubuntu version, nothing happened. In the boot order menu in the UEFI there was only one one option, Windows Boot Manager, and no other driver (DVD, HD, USB, etc.). There's also no option to add new drives from the UEFI menus.

Searching in the internet for how to enable to boot from DVD again I haven't found no solution that resolved my problem.
    Then comes the big mess. After a couple of hours without no results, I found a post where it was used the following command in Windows prompt:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi

I don't know why, but I just executed the command without further reading.

Now I simply can't boot. It says all boot options are tried, but none succeeded.
    I tried to use the laptop's recovery, to restore it to factory conditions, but it had no effect on this issue.

Anyone can help me? Does it have a way to solve or I simply "killed" the laptop?
    And if I can make the computer bootable again, how do I add new boot options to the UEFI?

Thanks in advance and sorry for any english mistakes.

:)

Uzai, Sep 7, 2016
  2. TNJDK Win User

Error code 0xc00000e in Windows 10

After bootsect command:

- bootcode is only updated on MBR partitioned disks. A different partitioning scheme is used on this disk

after bcdboot command

- Boot files successfully created

after bcedit command:

- The boot configuration data store could not be opened

TNJDK, Sep 7, 2016
  3. Error code 0xc00000e in Windows 10

Try

bcdboot C:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI /c /v ← /v to see what it is doing

bcdedit /store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD ← should be the updated BCD

BootRec /FixBoot ← I am not exactly sure if this does more than bootsect or not

BootRec /ScanOS ← should only find Windows installs that are not in the BCD

BootRec /RebuildBCD ← should do similar to bcdboot to add entries for Windows to the BCD

Don Cuthbert, Sep 7, 2016
  4. Feather Win User

You do not need to change the boot order of drives in your UEFI firmware settings, so use the default settings.

Use the one-time boot menu to boot from USB/DVD.

Boot to UEFI Mode or Legacy BIOS mode

Booting to the Boot Menu and BIOS

Feather, Sep 7, 2016
  5. Uzai Win User
    I can enter BIOS/boot menu via F2, but it seems to have no options that I can change to do what is suggested above.

In Advanced menu I have:
    EDB (Execute Disable Bit) [Enabled/Disabled] - Current Enabled
    Fast BIOS Mode [Enabled/Disabled] - Current Disabled
    AHCI Mode Control [Auto/Mnual] - Current Auto
    USB S3 Wake-up [Enabled/Disabled] - Current Enabled

In Boot Device Priority there is only Windows Boot Manager to select.

In Boot:

Secure Boot [Enabled/Disabled] - Current Disbled
    OS Mode Selection [UEFI / CSM OS / UEFI and CSM OS] - Current UEFI and CSM OS
    Internal LAN [Enabled/Disabled] - Current Enabled
    PXE OPROM [Disabled/Legacy Only/UEFI Only] - Current Legacy Only

No set of options seems to make the system boot.

Uzai, Sep 7, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    on most PC's you can use F8 to boot to the Windows Boot Menu is what he meant I think . he was just pointing out that 1st you need to disable Fast Boot Mode in the Bios.....it is i can see in your list , so F8 should work.

If you are deleting Linux , doing a Startup Repair with your Win10 Disk , should fix the corrrupt BCD

if not do a manual fix ,from the admin command prompt

Bootrec /rebuildbcd
    Bootrec /fixmbr
    Bootrec /fixboot

see more info here about the above commands so you know what you are doing 1st...................

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/927392

KB

Kbird, Sep 8, 2016
  7. Uzai Win User
    I guess I wasn't clear.

I had Ubuntu + W10.
    I removed Ubuntu, was able to boot into W10.
    No DVD/USB boot option in bios.
    I used the bcdedit in W10 command prompt.
    W10 stopped booting. Still no DVD/USB option in bios.
    I used my laptop's recovery. OS drive was formated and W8.1 (default OS) was installed.
    Current situation: W8.1 cant boot, bios options stills the same.

Uzai, Sep 8, 2016
  8. Kbird Win User

try turning Secureboot back on

Kbird, Sep 8, 2016
  9. Uzai Win User
    Ok. After turning Secureboot on the system booted in the W8.1 (first initialization). After setting up an user I restarted the system and the problem came back. Can't make it work again.

Uzai, Sep 8, 2016
  10. Kbird Win User
    you need to be a little more informative.... "Can't make it work again" doesn't help someone 1/2 a world away.....

No boot ? no Win8 ? what error messages? etc.....

personally I never had Win8 so maybe not able to help , but if I was You I would just Clean Install Win10 from the USB and get it over With....

Kbird, Sep 8, 2016
  11. Uzai Win User
    Sorry about lack of information.

After being able to log in Windows 8.1 (after turning Secureboot on) I restarted the computer. After that, same error message as before: "All boot options are tried. Press <F4> key to recover with factory image using Recovery or any other key for next boot loop iteration." (Secureboot on or off gives the same error). I used Recovery (again), but nothing changed.

But the major problem is: I CANT do any clean install. There are no boot options in the BIOS, only Windows Boot manager. No pen drive or DVD can BOOT the system (I have tried, Ubuntu and Windows 10).

12. Kbird Win User
    Secureboot and Fast Boot on a laptop would need to be off I think to boot USB

You may also need to Format the USB Fat32 and Then mount the Win10 ISO in File Explorer (RC>Open with>File Explorer) and Copy the Win 10 Files from what looks like a DVD to the USB Drive. YOu can right click again and choose Eject to unmount the ISO again.

KB.

Kbird, Sep 8, 2016
  13. Uzai Win User

I managed to boot the system again, after using Recovery with the Secure Boot option previously set to Enabled.

Now, inside W8.1 I used bcedit and it returned EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi in the path option.

Since the problem started when I used bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi, I used now
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi to set it back to the default. The problem is, the first command was done in W10, is the path that I have set now the correct one for W8.1? How can I know if the system boot when I restart it?

14. Kbird Win User
    Don't know ..........I have no idea what you are trying to do....

you have a clean 8.1 from HP Recovery ......just install Windows 10

or did i miss something? aren't you get rid on LINUX ?

Or do you mean the linux Boot manager survived the Win 8.1 re-image from HP ?

Kbird, Sep 9, 2016
  15. Kbird Win User
    rEFInd
    Fixing Windows Boot Problems

Most Windows boot problems are best addressed on Windows-specific sites, so I recommend you make the rounds of Windows forums to solve such problems. There is one that deserves mention here, though: If you accidentally erase the Windows boot loader file, EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi, you won't be able to boot Windows. The simplest solution is to restore this file from a backup you prepared ahead of time. If you don't have such a backup, though, you can restore it as follows:

• Boot from an emergency Windows recovery disk. If you don't have one, you can prepare one from a working Windows system as described here.
    • Type diskpart to enter the Windows disk-partitioning tool.
    • In diskpart, type sel disk 0 followed by list vol. You should see a set of partitions. This step is intended to help you identify your ESP, which will probably be the only FAT32 partition on the disk. (If you have multiple disks, you may need to try again with sel disk 1 or higher.) Note the volume number of your ESP.
    • Type sel vol 1, changing 1 to whatever the ESP's volume number is.
    • Type assign letter=S: to assign the ESP a Windows disk identifier of S:. (You can use another letter if you prefer.)
    • Type exit to exit from diskutil.
    • Type cd /d s:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\ to change into the Windows boot loader directory. (If this directory doesn't exist, you may need to create it first with mkdir. If rEFInd or some other boot loader occupies this directory, back it up first.
    • Type bootrec /fixboot.
    • Type bcdboot c:\Windows /s s: /f ALL. Note that this command should set the Windows boot loader as the default. Omit /f ALL if you don't want to adjust the EFI's default boot program.
    • Reboot and hope it works! If the computer boots straight to Windows and you want to use rEFInd, use bcdedit in Windows, as described in step 9 of the Installing rEFInd Manually Using Windows section of this page.
    For more information, see this SuperUser question and answer.

Kbird, Sep 9, 2016
Thema:

1. UEFI Boot problem after bcedit command - Similar Threads - UEFI Boot problem

2. UEFI pxe boot problem with WDS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI pxe boot problem with WDS: Hello all,Recently, we purchased gigabyte H510M S2P motherboards and I could not enable legacybios mode to install windows from WDS server. When i enable CSM on mitherboard to boot with bios it hangs on bios boot screen, so I enabled network stack to be able to boot from uefi...
  3. UEFI pxe boot problem with WDS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI pxe boot problem with WDS: Hello all,Recently, we purchased gigabyte H510M S2P motherboards and I could not enable legacybios mode to install windows from WDS server. When i enable CSM on mitherboard to boot with bios it hangs on bios boot screen, so I enabled network stack to be able to boot from uefi...
  4. Windows 11 UEFI boot problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 UEFI boot problem: Hello, so i downloaded an Windows 11 ISO installation, that i copied to an usb with RUFUS, i selected GPT since my NVME is GBP capable. In BIOS i have enabled secure booting and TPM 2.0, i have a Gigabyte H410 motherboard, so my main problem is that after i begin the...
  5. HELP!!! UEFI boot problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HELP!!! UEFI boot problem: HELP!!! UEFI boot is slower than legacy boot I had freshly installed windows 10 in my hp 15-be020tu notebook . Before installing iso in uefi mode ,i had install windows 10 in legacy mode and that was atleast booting a bit faster and apps were working faster . But when i...
  6. HELP!!! UEFI boot problem

HELP!!! UEFI boot problem: I had freshly installed windows 10 in my hp 15-be020tu notebook . Before installing iso in uefi mode ,i had install windows 10 in legacy mode and that was atleast booting a bit faster and apps were working faster . But when i shifted to uefi mode my laptop started to boot...
  7. Booting problem after changing to uefi

Booting problem after changing to uefi: After converting mbr to gpt using third party app and changing it to uefi from bios, the system is showing "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" then i change uefi and kept as default, then also it is not working...
  8. Windows 10 UEFI boot problem

Windows 10 UEFI boot problem: Problem with windows 10 boot. Hello, I have a huge problem with loading into my system... Let me explain, what happened is that I installed dual boot Linux v.2020 with Grub dual boot, then I did something I should have not, to get rid of Linux that I didn't need anymore. I...
  9. UEFI boot problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI boot problem: [ATTACH] Hi everybody, I recently ordered a laptop Acer Nitro 5 from an online shop in spain and i got it today. Very excited, i turn it on and it gives me as shown in the picture. I already a bootable usb with windows 10 on it but there is only UEFI boot mode i...
  10. UEFI Drive/Boot problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI Drive/Boot problem: My W10 system WAS running fine (Gigabyte Mobo) with a UEFI SSD boot drive UNTIL I had a problem where I lost all boot. I think it was a SATA cable problem, but it is now resolved. HOWEVER, in the process I no longer boot in UEFI, but into Win Boot Manager. UEFI is selected in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bootcode only mbr partitioned disks