Windows 10: UEFI installation on non-UEFI system

Discus and support UEFI installation on non-UEFI system in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, I wanted to boot an existing Windows 10 install taken from a UEFI notebook into an older non-UEFI notebook and I only get a flashing cursor.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tony359, May 12, 2017.

1. tony359 Win User

UEFI installation on non-UEFI system

Hi there,
    I wanted to boot an existing Windows 10 install taken from a UEFI notebook into an older non-UEFI notebook and I only get a flashing cursor. Booted with an installation media and the automatic startup repair did not work.
    Browsing online I tried re-creating the boot sector but in the end I understand that to do so I need to attempt the fix from a UEFI system.

I perfectly understand that a Windows installation should not be moved to a different system but I was hoping to manage to boot it up to save some files. Alternatively, I can plug the HDD into another PC.

Is there anybody aware of a way to make this installation work?
    Thanks
    Tony

:)

tony359, May 12, 2017
  2. P.V.Cube Win User

Cannot find the option to enable intel vt-x in Windows 10

Based solely on my installation (via upgrade + clean install) of W10 on UEFI and non-UEFI bios pc's: The option to enter UEFI settings via Advanced Startup only appears when W10 has been properly installed as UEFI- more specifically- if you reinstall W10
    via usb meda- the UEFI INSTALLATION option should be selected (vs other compatibility choices) to ensure UEFI is retained.

P.V.Cube, May 12, 2017
  3. Win 10 - Changed boot to UEFI. Can i also setup the non-UEFI to boot?

I just fixed my pc to use UEFI. Is it possible to set this up to boot either as UEFI or into the non-UEFI mode from the same disk C:?

just beyond my knowledge level. This is a desktop system. ASUS p9x79 Pro, 32gb, 2tb system drive.

thanks

MattGinOK.

MattGinOKok, May 12, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

The main problem is that you will have to convert the drive from GPT style partitioning to MBR partitioning so that you can mark a partition as active to be able to boot from it in legacy BIOS. The easiest way to do that is to create an image of your Windows and any data partitions using a program like Macrium Reflect Free, then convert the drive to MBR, then restore the partitions back and create your boot files required to boot in legacy mode.

Alternatively, you can copy the partitions to a second HDD/SSD partitioned as MBR, create the boot files on it, and then install that in the legacy BIOS computer.

NavyLCDR, May 12, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Maybe a slightly easier way to do this for a beginner (creating boot files is slightly tricky) is

1) backup c drive partition (recommending Macrium Reflect Free of course)

2) use MS media creation tool and install Windows 10 on PC (may need to convert drive to mbr first)

3) Restore C drive partition image over new C drive.

It's a pity we do not have the reverse tool of mbr2gpt i.e. gpt2mbr to make conversion dead easy.

cereberus, May 12, 2017
  6. tony359 Win User
    Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I'll educate myself on the difference between EUFI/non EUFI, GPT/MBR!

tony359, May 12, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    One way I've done it with older computers is to boot to a GPARTED CD, delete all partitions to give the drive an as-shipped condition then boot to the version of Windows desired and install, seems to take care of the problems encountered when trying to change an existing condition. It has worked with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Berton, May 12, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

OP is not wanting to clean install.

No need to use gparted really.

Just boot from usb drive installation drive, press shift+f10 to get to command prompt and run diskpart to wipe drive.

cereberus, May 13, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    or just go to the custom install option and on the next screen delete all the existing partitions - but I don't know if that would allow Windows 10 to install in legacy BIOS (MBR) mode like diskpart would.

diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean <-This erases the ENTIRE drive!
    exit
    exit

NavyLCDR, May 13, 2017
  10. Berton Win User
    I only recommend GPARTED as there are times when Windows won't allow what is desired, one of the times is in changing from 32-bit to 64-bit or 64-bit to 32-bit and the other has been when changing a drive to fit what the BIOS allows.

Berton, May 13, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    op
    You may need to add "convert mbr" after clean.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. UEFI installation on non-UEFI system - Similar Threads - UEFI installation non

2. UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems: Hi folks if you want to test such things as UEFI boot or even Secure boot on a VM running on older hardware that doesn't have UEFI boot it's still easily possible. On for example Linux host running KVM/QEMU a Windows VM ( This also works on Windows hosts running VMWare for...
  3. Installing win 10 home from usb UEFI or non UEFI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing win 10 home from usb UEFI or non UEFI?: I will be installing win 10 home on a new ssd drive on a new system. I've read Brink's how to on downloading and installing from a bootable usb. Should I opt for a UEFI install or non UEFI? What precautions do I take to make sure my components are compatible with UEFI? Do I...
  4. How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop?

How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop?: Hello. I have my work laptop (main) with Windows 10 installation (UEFI, GPT) where all apps already installed and configured. Recently I was given an old notebook (secondary) with Windows 8.1 installation (legacy BIOS, non-UEFI, MBR). Is there more or less simple way to...
  5. USB Installer UEFI or Not?

USB Installer UEFI or Not?: Hey guys, I'm not so organized due to my health. I have multiple Windows 10 Installers, Linux etc, and usually choose to download the iso and create my own USB Installers, and usually label them appropriately. I have this one that I'm not sure if it was installed as UEFI, is...
  6. UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible: Hi there Remember if you are using VMWARE you can try out a UEFI guest even if your HOST doesn't support it. In the configuration file set the following firmware="efi" That's it !!! Note you must do this BEFORE installing the VM - you can't change it...
  7. Installation on 3TB disk (Non Uefi)

Installation on 3TB disk (Non Uefi): Hi everyone! I was wondering if there is an easy way of installing W10 in larger disks (+2TB) on systems with no UEFI Support Right now my HDD is formatted with MBR, windows 10 is installed in it, and have ~700GB of unallocated space wich i cant use due to partition...
  8. Install with UEFI or not?

Install with UEFI or not?: Hi there, I'm building a Win10 system on an Intel NUC6i3syk. I'm planning to follow Brink's tutorial to create a USB stick for installation of Win10 Home (I purchased an OEM DVD for the license.) I'm not sure about UEFI, what is it, should I use it, etc.? Is there a page...
  9. Convert Non UEFI to UEFI?

Convert Non UEFI to UEFI?: I will be replacing (Upgrading) the motherboard (and CPU) in my desktop in the near future. The current Win 10 is not UEFI. Can it be converted to UEFI (GPT) or do I have to do a "clean" install to get UEFI? I assume the answer is NO, but wanted to check. 69592
  10. UEFI Install AIO

UEFI Install AIO: Hello. I come across many PCs with both x86 and x64 architectures.. So to save the hassle of downloading two ISOs.. I downloaded a Single AIO ISO from Kickass. So the thing is my cousin's laptop is a UEFI BIOS. So this AIO is over 4 GB making it unable to make bootable CD nor...