Windows 10: UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails

Discus and support UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi On this new laptop which appears to have UEFI and Legacy BIOS settings, setting UEFI settings to boot from DVD or USB first in order to run a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kevvyb, Jan 11, 2017.

1. kevvyb Win User

UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails

Hi

On this new laptop which appears to have UEFI and Legacy BIOS settings, setting UEFI settings to boot from DVD or USB first in order to run a bootable format disc to preformat before a clean install has thrown an error message that ..."boot from [xx device] failed." This was with the GParted.iso installed on disc or USB.

I did not touch the Legacy BIOS boot order just the UEFI boot order as information given suggested that the UEFI takes precedence.

In the end I formatted using the windows installation iso and format tool, booting from USB which worked. But this has meant that I get the windows recovery partitions that I was trying to avoid. Having got here, I think I will leave it like that as it probably makes sense and I suppose windows will probably run better with them? This has got rid of the additional HP partitions and crapware which is also what I was trying to achieve.

Just wanting to know for future reference, if I do want to boot from DVD or USB on this laptop OTHER THAN with windows installation .iso, how would I do it?

Thanks again in advance.

:)

kevvyb, Jan 11, 2017
  2. Andre Da Costa, Jan 11, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jan 11, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, assuming you mean the 450Mb Recovery partition, you should keep that. That is for- guess what- recovery. Without that you have no Advanced troubleshooting options or automatic recovery. It's small- so you gain nothing worthwhile by not having it.

You could have removed all the additional stuff that came with your laptop without doing a clean install, and partition managers allow deleting the recovery partition.

Does your DVD boot up successfully on a different PC? Is there some chance it was not burnt successfully?

You may wish to check with your manufacturer about booting from a DVD. For example, on mine, I have to hit F7 to display the appropriate boot menu. Yes, F7. That was unexpected. And the option to select the DVD drive is described in a totally obscure way.

(Laptop = Toshiba Tecra A11 if anyone's familiar with it)

dalchina, Jan 12, 2017
  5. smirk24 Win User
    Boot up into your bios select the key for loading defaults then press the key for save and exit. Once youve done that you just need to choose the boot option key then select the device you wish to install windows from.

smirk24, Jan 12, 2017
  6. kevvyb Win User
    Hi Thanks for your replies...

I know it is for the recovery partition but I have never used these when they were manufacturer partitions because I found it usually more productive to just do a clean install when it became necessary. I was also hoping to install windows 10 pro from my current laptop (upgrade from win7 pro retail) so a clean install was required. I know have information that I am able to move that retail licence to the new laptop. See here:Moving Win10 (upgrade Win7 Full Retail Licence) to another PC.

I agree that it is probably getting to the point with how Win 10 is deployed and integrates recovery options that it is e probably best to keep these so that windows works the way it expects to when things go wrong.

Thanks. I agree that HP are not bad when it comes to bloatware; there was only their superfluous help assistant tools all of which can be done elsewhere. But needing to install pro made the reinstall necessary anyway.

Maybe I screwed up the creation of that iso

The USB booted perfectly well when it contained the windows iso install file, not when it contained Gparted iso file.

I didn't test out the DVD with the Windows iso install file.

I had entered UEFI/BIOS (whatever it is called now) and changed boot order on the UEFI list - the Legacy BIOS boot order being subservient to the UEFI (if enabled) where both are present, according tot he information there. On my new machine HP 250 G4 F10 is the way to boot into the firmware menus.

See above.....

kevvyb, Jan 12, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Just to be clear, the manufacturer's recovery partition (several Gb) is totally different to the 450-500Mb Recovery partition created as part of a Win 10 install and they have totally different functions. For a PC delivered with Win 10 installed, you may find both present.

dalchina, Jan 12, 2017
  8. kevvyb Win User

Thanks Dalchina, Yes I understand the difference. I have got rid of the manufacturers (HP) recovery partition and am happy to leave the Windows partition given the way windows 10 is now working.

kevvyb, Jan 12, 2017
  9. kevvyb Win User
    This was probably some issue with the setting with the UEFI. From my reading there are lots of people who seem to be running into all sorts of problems until they work out how it works.

HP PCs - Secure Boot (Windows 8) | HP(R) Customer Support
    "HP computers that come with Windows 8 installed have Secure Boot enabled by default. Having Secure Boot enabled prevents legacy boot devices from starting your computer, including bootable CDs and DVDs."

I think the issue above may have been the problem or part of it....? I did not test this out though by disabling secure boot with the bootable media I was using then.

I am led to believe that the way and iso is burned has some effect on what settings the resultant media will boot from given that I found the application called Rufus, which seems to offer options to match the boot environment (leaving secure boot enabled).

Presumably before, for most people it was simple, it was always MBR.

Am I likely to be right?

Rufus offers:
    • MBR partition Scheme for BIOS or UEFI
    • MBR partiton scheme for UEFI
    • GPT partition scheme for UEFI

Having just burned the iso again to USB using the 3rd option, the laptop has booted from it this time.

kevvyb, Jan 13, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails - Similar Threads - UEFI laptop booting

2. HP Laptop fails to boot from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HP Laptop fails to boot from USB: I have a HP 14-cm0012la laptop on which the original hard drive has failed. I purchased a new 240GB SSD and inserted into the laptop. I downloaded the Windows Media Creation Tool and ran that to create a bootable USB. However, the laptop is failing to boot from the USB. I...
  3. Booting off USB/DVD fails (UEFI)

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting off USB/DVD fails (UEFI): Hi there you all, My pc fails to boot from a USB and / or DVD. It uses UEFI. I have tried many solutions that include: (1) I have changed the BIOS to either USB HDD or USB CDRom for the different cases. (I have been able to boot from DVD in the past. All I did was try to...
  4. Boot Windows 10 from USB, UEFI file for USB not booting.

Boot Windows 10 from USB, UEFI file for USB not booting.: I want to do a fresh install of windows on my ssd with a usb. I don't have access to a secondary windows computer but have downloaded the .iso file on a sandisk 16GB usb from my mac. My pc originally didn't boot with the file in the exfat format so I managed to copy the .iso...
  5. Booting From DVD with Win 10 & UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting From DVD with Win 10 & UEFI: Hello, I tried to add a DVD to boot sequence but I couldn't find an option for this. I tried Dell's recommendation but they indicate that hardware might not be recognized by the system. I did use the DVD to install Win 10 initially, but it doesn't show up. Can someone explain...
  6. 1809 update fails booted from USB or DVD logo no dots

1809 update fails booted from USB or DVD logo no dots: I have a Lenovo T60 running Win10 1803 and am trying to update to 1809. The T60 runs W10 x86 (32bit) 1803 at 2Ghz with 3G of memory on a Intel 256 Gb SSD (OVER A 100gB fREE). I have tried mounting the 1809 update on a USB and the SSD. They Fail with 0xC1900101 0x20017 with...
  7. Booting from USB stick or DVD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Booting from USB stick or DVD: Imagine a computer where W10 is running on an SSD. I have a USB stick and/or a DVD which contain a bootable version of W10 (probably made from Microsoft's Media Creation Tool). After a fault, the plan is that after tickling F12 (in my case) the above bootable version could be...
  8. Cannot boot from USB or DVD and cannot access UEFI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot boot from USB or DVD and cannot access UEFI: HP HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-pOXX. Windows 10 Home (X64) Version 1703 (build 15063.540) I've already posted about the usb part Will Win 10 pc boot from usb? - Windows 10 Forums but I'd like to expand the scope. In brief, no combination of key presses at bootup will...
  9. Can't boot from usb dvd

Can't boot from usb dvd: Hi Roomies @, I just upgrade to Win 10 PRO 1511 on my Lenovo laptop and burned a win 10 pro DVD. I would like to do a clean install but I'm not able to find my DVD drive on Bios or boot manager. Can someone please help me? Here are some images . [img] [img] [img]...
  10. Boot From USB/DVD

Boot From USB/DVD: I am so confused I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I want to install/dual boot Windows 10 with Windows 8, but with the tutorial, there's so much Win 7/Win 8, 8.1 included that I'm crosseyed! HP Pavilion g Series Windows 8.1 Pro laptop with BIOS, not UEFI. I want...