Windows 10: UEFI or Windows Boot Manager?

Discus and support UEFI or Windows Boot Manager? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I apologize in advance if I sound dense, but I'm seeing something in the BIOS that doesn't make sense to me. I have three different SSDs at this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cpmusic, Nov 29, 2015.

1. cpmusic Win User

UEFI or Windows Boot Manager?

I apologize in advance if I sound dense, but I'm seeing something in the BIOS that doesn't make sense to me.

I have three different SSDs at this time, one each for 7, 10 upgrade, and 10 clean (the last is a slow work in progress). All of the SSDs are GPT* and SATA is set to AHCI in the BIOS.

If I switch from one SSD to another and look at the BIOS before booting, UEFI: Drive 0 (brand/model) appears as the boot option from the SSD.

If I reboot and look at the BIOS, the UEFI option is replaced with Windows Boot Manager.

Is this normal? If not, what am I missing?

*I included the asterisk because I initially installed 7 as MBR, not knowing the difference. I was able to convert it to GPT using a separate SSD and a process posted at Macrium's website. This shouldn't make any difference in the BIOS, but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

:)

cpmusic, Nov 29, 2015
  2. Theend809 Win User

Windows 10 could not be installed because this PC has an unsupported disk layout for UEFI Firmware 1511 build

I know now why os did not update to the next windows update 1511 built.

It was because my bios section boot was UEFI.

I did not know that UEFI has a conflict with Windows Update.

I changed it to old boot (UEFI is the new boot), I selected at section boot in bios ''Device control'':

UEFI and Legacy and OpRom.

Also: ''Boot from storage devices'' changed to both UEFI first

After this windows updated into 1511 built.

Theend809, Nov 29, 2015
  3. Theend809 Win User
    Cannot update to next windows build 1511

I know now why os did not update to the next windows update 1511 built.

It was because my bios section boot was UEFI.

I did not know that UEFI has a conflict with Windows Update.

I changed it to old boot (UEFI is the new boot), I selected at section boot in bios ''Device control'':

UEFI and Legacy and OpRom.

Also: ''Boot from storage devices'' changed to both UEFI first

After this windows updated into 1511 built.

Theend809, Nov 29, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

It's normal, the same happens on my system.

The following explanation was found on Wikipedia:
    Unlike BIOS, UEFI does not rely on a boot sector, defining instead a boot manager as part of the UEFI specification. When a computer is powered on, the boot manager checks the boot configuration and, based on its settings, loads and executes the specified operating system loader or operating system kernel. The boot configuration is a set of global-scope variables stored in NVRAM, including the boot variables that indicate the paths to operating system loaders or kernels, which as a component class of UEFI applications are stored as files on the firmware-accessible EFI System partition (ESP).

philc43, Nov 30, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    What does your bcdedit say in the path here? Does it change? Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586] (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit Windows Boot Manager -------------------- identifier {bootmgr} device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2 path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi description Windows Boot Manager locale en-US inherit {globalsettings} default {current} resumeobject {9c34aeea-9152-11e5-9c76-00155d013517} displayorder {current} {2bd3fb00-6091-11e5-86c4-c3a22c898ce3} {2bd3fafe-6091-11e5-86c4-c3a22c898ce3} {2bd3faf0-6091-11e5-86c4-c3a22c898ce3} {2bd3fb07-6091-11e5-86c4-c3a22c898ce3} toolsdisplayorder {memdiag} timeout 3[/quote] Windows has a habit of resetting mine to \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi and I have to reset it with bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi as I don't want the Windows one.

I've not narrowed down when it does this exactly. Upgrading or clean installing Windows definitely does. So does dual-booting and doing something that messes with the firmware settings (turning on bitlocker for example, some bootrec commands)..

So to answer your question, yes it is normalish at least for me.

6. cpmusic Win User
    Thanks, folks. I appreciate the feedback. I still have trouble wrapping my mind around some of these things.

lx07, this is what I get from bdcedit (this is on the upgrade installation). There's more under Windows Boot Loader, but it looked like this is all you were asking about. There are differences in the path, displayorder and timeout, but I don't know how much is related to upgrade vs clean installation, or whether any of it matters.

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240](c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit Windows Boot Manager -------------------- identifier {bootmgr} device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2 path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi description Windows Boot Manager locale en-US inherit {globalsettings} default {current} resumeobject {c893dd65-8b0e-11e5-9759-902b343aa354} displayorder {current} toolsdisplayorder {memdiag} timeout 30[/quote]

cpmusic, Nov 30, 2015
  7. Kyhi Win User
    there are several ways to run multi-boot systems...

You appear to have 3 ssd's each containing a separate OS..

You can setup each SSD with its own EFI/Boot partition - but the switch between OS's you would have to keep changing Boot Order priority in the BIOS everytime...

Or you can setup ONE EFI/Boot partition on the primary drive - and when booted you will be given the option (via Bootmanager)
    to boot the OS contained on any of the 3 ssd's

How are you managing the multi-boot option ??

PS - all systems boot via a Boot Manager
    No matter MBR or UEFI

What your Boot manager is telling me - Is that it does not display the option to select which OS to Boot

8. Kyhi Win User

But what you stated in your first post is correct..
    When you change Boot drive priority in the bios - it will state the Drive number and description
    Once you boot that drive the first time - it finds the Bootmanager for that drive - and that Bootmanager is now displayed in the bios

9. cpmusic Win User
    Thanks, Kyhi. I have been thinking of running a dual boot with 7 and 10, but I'm not sure how much I'll need or use 7 once I get everything straightened out. Right now I'm just moving the cables from one disk to another, and I'll probably keep the upgrade only until I get the clean install up to date with my software (it's currently in Procrastination Mode).

cpmusic, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. UEFI or Windows Boot Manager? - Similar Threads - UEFI Boot Manager

2. Windows Will Not Boot UEFI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Will Not Boot UEFI: Windows will not boot URFI. Everywhere it says on search for windows and bios regardless of OS it will boot to bios on firmware init when press the key. Windows is breaking it....
  3. Windows Will Not Boot UEFI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Will Not Boot UEFI: Windows will not boot URFI. Everywhere it says on search for windows and bios regardless of OS it will boot to bios on firmware init when press the key. Windows is breaking it....
  4. Dual Booting 2 Windows Systems Using UEFI Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Booting 2 Windows Systems Using UEFI Boot Manager: I have just bought a new PC which includes 2 identical M2 SSDs. I have done a clean install on the first. I now want to know hiw to clone this to the second M2 and be able to select which system to boot using the UEFI Boot Manager not the Windows one. I want the two systems...
  5. Dual Booting 2 Windows Systems Using UEFI Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Booting 2 Windows Systems Using UEFI Boot Manager: I have just bought a new PC which includes 2 identical M2 SSDs. I have done a clean install on the first. I now want to know hiw to clone this to the second M2 and be able to select which system to boot using the UEFI Boot Manager not the Windows one. I want the two systems...
  6. Multiple instance of Windows boot manager in UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple instance of Windows boot manager in UEFI: Hi guys, im quite sure this might be a fairly simple one, but a little scared to change whats active and whats not My system is win 10 pro with GPT drives and only 1 OS. In my UEFI i have 2 windows boot manager pointing to the same phsyical hard drive. Wondering if its...
  7. windows boot manager not showing up in bios/uefi

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows boot manager not showing up in bios/uefi: im guessing since i have windows installed on my sdd i should have windows boot manager show up in my uefi/bios boot options right? it doesnt. i have windows installed on another sdd too and when i put that sdd into my pc and open bios, i have windows boot manager for it, so...
  8. uefi boot and boot manager issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    uefi boot and boot manager issues: i am having issues after imaging windows 10 through UEFI windows boot manager is the first boot device and i need it to include the nic. we image remotely and don't want to have to physically touch the bios every time we image...
  9. UEFI: Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI: Windows Boot Manager: Hello guys first-timer here. I was wondering if I messed up something in my computer. Sorry for a bit lengthy post. What happened was, a few days ago I changed my power supply into a new one and decided to clean case along the way. I had disconnected everything and...
  10. UEFI Windows Boot Manager Keeps taking boot priority.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    UEFI Windows Boot Manager Keeps taking boot priority.: I cloned over to an SSD, and now I can't boot right into windows after a new day boot or restart. I've changed the priority in the bios, tinkered in MSConfig, and even ran the CMD prompt bcdedit /set {bootmgr} timeout 0 128703