Windows 10: UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible

Discus and support UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there Remember if you are using VMWARE you can try out a UEFI guest even if your HOST doesn't support it. In the configuration file set the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jan 27, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible

Hi there

Remember if you are using VMWARE you can try out a UEFI guest even if your HOST doesn't support it.

In the configuration file set the following

firmware="efi"

That's it !!!

Note you must do this BEFORE installing the VM - you can't change it afterwards.

Afraid VBOX users are out of luck (currently) on this one. Takes default from HOST Bios.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 27, 2015
  2. Andrei V. Win User

"defaultuser0" created on clean install of Anniversary Update

It is actually a bad idea to install in UEFI and then change BIOS settings to legacy and vice-versa. If you decide to go with UEFI (which is a good idea), stay with it.

It is true that on older machines UEFI support has issues and it is better to go with legacy. But on newer machines UEFI is the best way to go (for boot security and performance).

If you set BIOS to UEFI and you cannot boot from the flash drive, then the flash drive was created incorrectly. Always go with the media tool offered by Microsoft when creating the bootable USB drive.

If the BIOS is set to UEFI but the install fails, there a 2 possibilities: either the boot media is faulty or UEFI support BIOS is problematic (very possible in older systems, when UEFI was in its early days). In this case, it is better to disable UEFI and
    install in legacy mode.

Andrei V., Jan 27, 2015
  3. Windows 10 problem that happens when only when run in UEFI mode.

It's slow in general in UEFI , its boots slow and once in windows its slow, running programs etc. It's a Lenovo H430 desktop , I have contacted Lenovo about it, and they won't help it. when it was a windows 8 machine it ran fine with Uefi, But with windows
    10 it gives the issues that I describe.

MichaelWeaser, Jan 27, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

In Hyper-V:

Step 1, select Generation 2 vm in new vm wizard:

UEFI VM in non UEFI machine  - Yes its possible [​IMG]

Step 2, disable Secure Boot in vm settings:

That's it.

*Wink

5. adamf Win User
    VirtualBox has supported EFI for OSX and Linux guests since version 3.1 (released in 2010) and for Windows Guests running 8.1 and above since version 4.3.20 (released in November 2014).

Windows 10 guests work fine EFI - just tick the enable EFI box

adamf, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible - Similar Threads - UEFI non UEFI

2. Machine driver slow in UEFI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Machine driver slow in UEFI: I have a mouse like this, and it acting really slow. Sometimes the t.exe appears at close down. That's something else, but I don't think that is in use at startup.https://www.logitech.com/nl-be/products/mice/mx-master-3s.910-006559.htmlWhen the login screen appears the...
  3. Machine driver slow in UEFI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Machine driver slow in UEFI: I have a mouse like this, and it acting really slow. Sometimes the t.exe appears at close down. That's something else, but I don't think that is in use at startup.https://www.logitech.com/nl-be/products/mice/mx-master-3s.910-006559.htmlWhen the login screen appears the...
  4. Fake UEFI Mode possibility?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fake UEFI Mode possibility?: I have an Acer Aspire 4830TG running Windows 10 21H1 Pro. I recently used the MBR2GPT tool to convert my OS to GPT. Then I was asked to set BIOS to UEFI. I did, but the drive still doesn’t boot. Could it be possible that the UEFI mode is fake?...
  5. UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems: Hi folks if you want to test such things as UEFI boot or even Secure boot on a VM running on older hardware that doesn't have UEFI boot it's still easily possible. On for example Linux host running KVM/QEMU a Windows VM ( This also works on Windows hosts running VMWare for...
  6. Installing win 10 home from usb UEFI or non UEFI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing win 10 home from usb UEFI or non UEFI?: I will be installing win 10 home on a new ssd drive on a new system. I've read Brink's how to on downloading and installing from a bootable usb. Should I opt for a UEFI install or non UEFI? What precautions do I take to make sure my components are compatible with UEFI? Do I...
  7. How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop?

How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop?: Hello. I have my work laptop (main) with Windows 10 installation (UEFI, GPT) where all apps already installed and configured. Recently I was given an old notebook (secondary) with Windows 8.1 installation (legacy BIOS, non-UEFI, MBR). Is there more or less simple way to...
  8. VeryCrypt on machine that is UEFI boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VeryCrypt on machine that is UEFI boot: Hi Have just bought a new laptop which has both UEFI bootloader and Legacy BIOS. Up until now I have always encrypted the whole system drive with Truecrypt but I understand that TC does not support UEFI boot. Having looked at the other options, primarily bitlocker...
  9. Convert Non UEFI to UEFI?

Convert Non UEFI to UEFI?: I will be replacing (Upgrading) the motherboard (and CPU) in my desktop in the near future. The current Win 10 is not UEFI. Can it be converted to UEFI (GPT) or do I have to do a "clean" install to get UEFI? I assume the answer is NO, but wanted to check. 69592
  10. UEFI installation on non-UEFI system

UEFI installation on non-UEFI system: Hi there, I wanted to boot an existing Windows 10 install taken from a UEFI notebook into an older non-UEFI notebook and I only get a flashing cursor. Booted with an installation media and the automatic startup repair did not work. Browsing online I tried re-creating the...