Windows 10: Unable to access external USB Drives!

Discus and support Unable to access external USB Drives! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi I recently upgraded my PC to windows 10 and every since have been unable to access any USB external drive. The laptop picks up the drives and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Darkdragon21, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Unable to access external USB Drives!

Hi I recently upgraded my PC to windows 10 and every since have been unable to access any USB external drive.

The laptop picks up the drives and acknowledges that they are there and working but they do not appear in file explorer.

I have looked in disk management and the drives are there and healthy.

The USB ports work 100% as i have plugged in keyboards etc to test and all the drives i've tried work with other computers.

I've tried everything I could find on forums that have worked for other people. I've reinstalled windows twice. Ran various disk cleanup utilities, checked for hidden drives etc.

I need to upload video files to my laptop to edit for work, so need to resolve this ASAP :/

Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

:)

Darkdragon21, Mar 31, 2016
  2. Eric Ber Win User

External Drive "not accessible"

Hi,

Corrupted USB controller is one of the possible reasons why you are unable to access your external hard drive. We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided in this

link
    to resolve the issue.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Mar 31, 2016
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Problem accessing partition on External Drive

Hi,

Corrupted USB controller is one of the possible reasons why you are unable to access your external hard drive. We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided in this

link
    to resolve the issue.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Mar 31, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Unable to access external USB Drives!

dalchina, Mar 31, 2016
  5. Thanks Dalchina, I've just tried disabling the fast startup and that didnt work, I've also tried using both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports.

The main drives i'm trying to attach to it are Kingston SSD's and a WD drive, neither of which it accepts.

Any further ideas?

Thanks

Darkdragon21, Mar 31, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Can you confirm all is well in Device Manager?
    Might help someone to help you if you complete your system specs (see Tutorial section for a 'how to')
    Your problem sounds more general than some have experienced given the types of drive you've tried.

Can you confirm your PC is listed as being Win 10 compatible?
    Please post a screenshot of disk management with a non-recognised drive plugged in. (diskmgmt.msc)

I collected these posts a while back:
    Hi, there are several threads on external drives not being recognised. Feel free to search the forum.

The last posts on this solved it for one person:
    Windows 10 can't find external USB 3.0 drives... - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

No solution here, but do post a screenshot of disk management as per this thread
    External Hard Drive Issue. - Windows 10 Forums

This one refers to Western Digital drives
    Solved USB Drives not recognised in Windows 10 - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

There are suggestions of assigning a drive letter
    External Hard Drive not showing up - Windows 10 Forums

This one discusses permission issues, and suddenly resolved itself - code 43
    Solved External hard drive not visible - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

Otherwise, please try searching the forum for 'external drives' 'external drives not recognsed' (e..g). There are man threads on this topic.
    Windows 10 can't find external USB 3.0 drives... - Windows 10 Forums
    Hitachi HDS72101 external drive not recognized - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved Upgrade from 8.1 to 10: Hard drive no longer recognized. - Windows 10 Forums
    External hard drive not recognised - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved USB Drives not recognised in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved win 10 PC will not find my USB powered external HDD. - Windows 10 Forums

etc... (many more)

Please see if sthg there helps.. if so please let us know. Thanks!

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to access external USB Drives!

1. Unable to access external USB Drives! - Similar Threads - Unable access external

2. External USB-SSD drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External USB-SSD drive not accessible: Hi,I have an SSD disk 2.5" size. I have been using it as an external harddrive for a while. There are important data on it.I have not been using it for a while, After latest access to that SSD I have reinstalled my OS to my computer, I am not sure if this is related to my...
  3. External USB-SSD drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External USB-SSD drive not accessible: Hi,I have an SSD disk 2.5" size. I have been using it as an external harddrive for a while. There are important data on it.I have not been using it for a while, After latest access to that SSD I have reinstalled my OS to my computer, I am not sure if this is related to my...
  4. My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.: When I try to access my external hard drive on my laptop, it just says that the drive is not available and that access is denied. I have a lot of important files on it so I would like to keep them if possible....
  5. My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.: When I try to access my external hard drive on my laptop, it just says that the drive is not available and that access is denied. I have a lot of important files on it so I would like to keep them if possible....
  6. unable to access external drive with bitlocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unable to access external drive with bitlocker: I have an external drive with bitlocker installed. I know the password and I have the encryption key. When I connect the drive to my computer that is running Windows 10 Pro, I am queried to enter my password for the external drive. However, after entering my password, the...
  7. Suddenly unable to access USB Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Suddenly unable to access USB Drive: I have had this USB drive for1 year, it has been formatted and I have been using it daily. Suddenly this morning, I plug it in, click on it to open and it says" "F.:\is not accessible. Access is denied". I went through all of the processes to check the Security...... "You...
  8. Unable to access USB drive

Unable to access USB drive: Hi, I tried inserting my flash drive & external driver to my Acer Aspire E13 laptop but it is not responding. it says " Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file...
  9. Unable to access USB drive

Unable to access USB drive: Hi, I'm using windows 10 enterprise x86 on my HP laptop (15-AC122TU). For last few days I'm unable to copy/delete any file to/from my pendrive, not even able to format it. While formatting (fat32/NTFS/fat) : "Windows was not able to complete the format" While...
  10. Lost access to Seagate external usb drive

Lost access to Seagate external usb drive: Went through my worst week ever with Windows since I built my 1st PC in the Win 3.11 days. For a week almost I was restoring and re-restoring various Win 10 Acronis tibs because my system kept locking up with the little circle spinning at start up or shut down...pretty much...