Windows 10: Unable to Access Local Disks (C:) and (D:)

Discus and support Unable to Access Local Disks (C:) and (D:) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am currently unable to access my Local Disks, or open programs inside them, such as the task manager, user account control, and even the registry... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by trentbat, Oct 22, 2015.

1. trentbat Win User

Unable to Access Local Disks (C:) and (D:)

I am currently unable to access my Local Disks, or open programs inside them, such as the task manager, user account control, and even the registry editor. Attempting to open anything (With administrator priveleges) just result in an access denied message. I have tried multiple solutions off the first searches on google, though none of them have worked, due to the things required in those solutions not being able to be accessed.
    I have even tried to reset my PC and reinstall Windows, though when I click the "Get Started" button, nothing happens.
    Is there any hope left for me, or do I need to get new drivers and abandon my valuable data?

:)

trentbat, Oct 22, 2015

2. Unable to access Local Disks (CUnable to Access Local Disks (C:) and (D:) :), (DUnable to Access Local Disks (C:) and (D:) :), and any programs inside those

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are facing issues with privileges to access the local account, I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

• Please be informed us the troubleshooting steps you have already tried.

This issue might be due to some error in system settings.

If you have not yet tried the below steps, I suggest you to perform and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to log out from the current user account, restart the computer and log-in with the administrator account and check if you are able to access the local drivers.

If the issue still persists,

Step 2: I suggest you to place the computer in safe mode, try to log-in with administrator account and check if the issue persists.

Try the above steps and reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 22, 2015
  3. Unable to access Local Disks (CUnable to Access Local Disks (C:) and (D:) :), (DUnable to Access Local Disks (C:) and (D:) :), and any programs inside those

I am currently unable to access my Local Disks, or open programs inside them, such as the task manager, user account control, and even the registry editor. Attempting to open anything (With administrator
    priveleges) just result in an access denied message. I have tried multiple solutions off the first searches on google, though none of them have worked, due to the things required in those solutions not being able to be accessed.

I have even tried to reset my PC and reinstall Windows, though when I click the "Get Started" button, nothing happens.

Is there any hope left for me, or do I need to get new drivers and abandon my valuable data?
    Unable to Access Local Disks (C:) and (D:) [​IMG]

SuperStoat, Oct 22, 2015
  4. Kanata Win User

Can you give us a couple of examples of the steps you are doing up until the point you don't get access? It's a bit odd the way you describe it. Of course you have backups for your valuable data I hope.

Kanata, Oct 22, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    First of all, don't panic. Connect your disk to another computer and backup any data you want. Then try loading Windows in Safe Mode and update the chipsets drivers. To enter Safe Mode, you have to load Windows 2-3 times and reset your computer before it fully loads. Eventually you will see the troubleshooting screen where you can select Advanced startup options and then Safe Mode. Worst case, some malware blocked access to your disk, you may need to format it and reinstall Windows 10 clean.

spapakons, Oct 22, 2015
  6. trentbat Win User
    Here's a couple of examples -

The one on the left occurs when I try to just open the disks. The one on the right are examples of me using command prompt to modify the user account controls of the disks.

trentbat, Oct 23, 2015
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Download and install subinacl.msi

Copy and paste this into a textfile (notepad) and rename it to acl.bat.
    Execute with admin rights.
    Reboot when finished.

@echo off
    title Resetting ACLs...
    cd /d "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
    echo.
    echo Resetting ACLs...
    echo (this may take several minutes to complete)
    echo.
    echo ==========================================================================
    echo.
    echo System Drive...
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    echo.
    echo.
    echo Windows Directory...
    subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    echo.
    echo.
    echo ==========================================================================
    echo.
    echo FINISHED.
    echo.
    echo Press any key to exit . . .
    pause >NUL

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 23, 2015
  8. trentbat Win User

I've tried installing subinacl.msi, but when I open the installer, this message appears:

Is there any other way?

trentbat, Oct 23, 2015
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Guess that point is reached by now......*Sad

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 23, 2015
  10. spapakons Win User
    Sorry to bring you the bad news, but yes, some malware really screwed Windows. You have to access your disk from another computer to backup your files and then format it and install Windows 10 again. If you see a message about access rights in your user folder, click OK and it should then open. If not, you may have to take ownership and then set full access to administrators group. Post again to give you details.

spapakons, Oct 23, 2015
  11. trentbat Win User
    Welp. Reformatting time.

trentbat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to Access Local Disks (C:) and (D:) - Similar Threads - Unable Access Local

2. Unable to open local disk D

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to open local disk D: Hi,Somehow I can not open my Local Disk D at all. When I use the file explorer it only shows the Local Disk C but doesn't show how much space is left on it either. When I click on the icon, it doesn't respond at all too. Please help....
  3. Unable to open local disk D

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open local disk D: Hi,Somehow I can not open my Local Disk D at all. When I use the file explorer it only shows the Local Disk C but doesn't show how much space is left on it either. When I click on the icon, it doesn't respond at all too. Please help....
  4. Unable to open local disk D

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Merging Local Disk C and D.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Merging Local Disk C and D.: Dear Whoever is reading this, I Bought a WD Blue 500GB hard drive. I have two local disks, C and D. Whenever I download something it instantly downloads to C, which is the one with less storage. IF by any chance anyone knows how to merge both of the disks that would be...
  6. Access denied to Local disk C

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access denied to Local disk C: Hi i changed my security setting to me local disk C , and now it does not open , i am the administrator , i tried to change security setting again but my access is denied , my access is denied to all the setting , i turned on the safe mood , and opened the built-in admin...
  7. Local disk D access denied

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Local disk D access denied: How to fix this ? every i make new folder [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-disk-d-access-denied/87950c78-4e50-43c3-bb09-faf6ea96b147
  8. access to local disk D

in Windows 10 Customization
    access to local disk D: couldnt access my local disk D even after reinstall the window. it desplayed you need to format disk in D before you can use it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-to-local-disk-d/a3404c38-db39-4674-a641-ca10f18f170c
  9. Is it safe to transfer fies from local disk C to local disk D?

Is it safe to transfer fies from local disk C to local disk D?: I wanted to transfer files from local disk C to local disk D to free up space on my local disk C. So is it safe to send files from one drive to another and will my PC work properly if I do this?...
  10. Unable to open Local Disk D

Unable to open Local Disk D: Hi, Somehow I can not open my Local Disk D at all. When I use the file explorer it only shows the Local Disk C but doesn't show how much space is left on it either. When I click on the icon, it doesn't respond at all too. I just bought this laptop a few days ago so I am...