Windows 10: Unable to activate after changing motherboard

Discus and support Unable to activate after changing motherboard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all, Yesterday I finally installed my new Mobo and CPU. I got my Windows 7 retail disc and inserted the disc, and activated it just fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bobjoe, Jul 22, 2016.

1. bobjoe Win User

Unable to activate after changing motherboard

Hi all,

Yesterday I finally installed my new Mobo and CPU.

I got my Windows 7 retail disc and inserted the disc, and activated it just fine using the "9 boxes of code" with phone activation. Then, I installed Windows 10 using a USB bootable. However, I could NOT activate. It would say "no digital entitlement found" or something like that. I tried putting in my Windows 7 key for activation, but it said "this key is already being used on another PC". I tried using phone activation but after entering all the numbers, the automatic voice prompt told me he was unable to activate.

Then, I reinstalled Windows 7, and tried doing an upgrade. I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and clicked "Upgrade this PC", but once the computer restarted and went to that "circle" installing screen, it got to 40℅ then gave me an error message, when I clicked OK, it began restoring Windows 7.

My new mobo is the MSI Z170A, and my new CPU is the 6700K.

What do I do??? I don't want to miss out on the upgrade. Please help!

:)

bobjoe, Jul 22, 2016
  2. Kaleemah Win User

Unable to activate Windows after changing Mother board.

Unable to activate Windows after changing Mother board. There was an update installed from Windows Store related to Intel storage, after restarting Windows Mother board BIOS was damaged. Since Motherboard was under Warranty, replaced it now cannot activate
    Windows 10.

Kaleemah, Jul 22, 2016
  3. Activation after motherboard change

Hi,

I can't activate my W10 after change my motherboard, even fallowing the tutorials.

And I don't have more the Key of product, and the license is linked to my MS account.

Thanks!

Marcus Feitoza, Jul 22, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member
  5. bobjoe Win User
    bobjoe, Jul 22, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    We don't have sketchy tutorials here at tenforums.com. If it didn't work or violated a EULA or a law then it wouldn't be a permanent tutorial here approved by the moderators.

NavyLCDR, Jul 22, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    What version is your Windows 7 - is it a single language version for example - the windows 10 version must match as well.

Also what build version have you installed? Run winver.

cereberus, Jul 22, 2016
  8. bobjoe Win User

This is the Windows 7 I have:
    Unable to activate after changing motherboard [​IMG]
    Home Premium with SP1.

I did. I installed Windows 10 Home. I couldn't activate neither digitally nor with the W7 key.

bobjoe, Jul 22, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    As I asked, what is your build number - run winver?

cereberus, Jul 22, 2016
  10. bobjoe Win User
    Build number??? For what??? Windows 7??? Build 7601, obviously... That's the latest since 2010.

bobjoe, Jul 22, 2016
  11. bobjoe Win User
    Guys:

I don't know why this worked, but I unplugged my WiFi adaptor during installation and it worked! It didn't get stuck at 40% during the circle screen, and it activated after I plugged in my WiFi adaptor without me having to do anything. I will now clean install W10 and it should activate with no problems.

Thanks, hope this helps someone who might have this issue!

bobjoe, Jul 22, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Thank you for posting the solution!

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to activate after changing motherboard - Similar Threads - Unable activate changing

2. unable to activate after changing motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    unable to activate after changing motherboard: Hi, I have been upgrading the motherboard and harddisk of my 2 Win 10 desktops in the past weeks. After a lot of technical hurdles, I finally got one up and running, and no issue with re-activation of Win10 for the one I use at Home Win10 homeHowever, the desktop in my office...
  3. Unable to activate after changing motherboard

Unable to activate after changing motherboard: Following a crash - burning out both mobo and psu - I installed a new ASUS A320M mobo with A8 cpu and 8G RAM, and a 256G M2 drive.Windows 10 pro installed without a hitch - but would not maintain a connection to the ethernet. SO I installed the chipset drivers from the ASUS...
  4. Unable to activate windows 10 after changing motherboard

Unable to activate windows 10 after changing motherboard: Hi, My previous desktop computer broke down motherboard and had to be replaced. After reinstalling the hardware and booting up I tried to activate Windows 10, but it keeps giving me errors. I followed the virtual agent steps, but to no prevail. After that I talked to a...
  5. Unable to activate windows after motherboard change

Unable to activate windows after motherboard change: I am currently using a custom built PC and had replaced the motherboard because it had died due to a short circuit. Upon replacing the motherboard, windows now requires me to buy a whole new licence when I already have one tied to my account. I bought the OS back in 2018. I...
  6. Unable to activate windows after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to activate windows after motherboard change: Hi, My system motherboard crashed and it did not start. I have changed my motherboard to Asus instead of Dell. Now after turning on the computer, Windows asks for Windows Activation. I am unable to activate Windows as it shows the following error: "Windows reported that...
  7. Unable to activate windows after changing motherboard

Unable to activate windows after changing motherboard: I recently upgraded my hardware with a new motherboard. I was one of the many people who upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 years ago and never had any issues. When I changed the motherboard windows insists that I Activate my copy of windows again. I have tried to use...
  8. Unable to activate windows after a Motherboard change

Unable to activate windows after a Motherboard change: My computer went in for a change of the cooling unit which had failed. While in the shop and under testing the "found" a problem with my motherboard and had replaced that as well. However, upon doing this I have a message in the bottom of my screen saying that I need to...
  9. Activation After changing motherboard

Activation After changing motherboard: Hi So I just changed motherboards and my license isn't activating. I have tried using my microsoft account to sign in and activate the license with no luck. Please let me know if there is a way I can reset the license as its rather annoying that I got the license and...
  10. Activation after motherboard change.

Activation after motherboard change.: I have three computers running Windows 10 in the house. I have just replaced the motherboard in my desktop and now it says it needs activation. I have not replaced the hard disks so it is exactly the same version of windows 10 that has run fine since doing a free upgrade from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to activate after motherboard change

2. unable to activate windows after motherboard