Windows 10: Unable to activate

Discus and support Unable to activate in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hopefully this is the right place because this involves an installation that doesn't activate. Little history: Installed Windows 7, then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TQWorld, Feb 2, 2018.

1. TQWorld Win User

Unable to activate

Hopefully this is the right place because this involves an installation that doesn't activate.

Little history:

Installed Windows 7, then upgraded to Windows 8. When the Windows 10 free download came around, I jumped and upgraded to that. Things went well for quite some time and then my motherboard died. I did not connect my Microsoft account to my Windows 10 upgrade so that was a challenge. I installed the new motherboard, worked with Microsoft support via chatroom and they issued me a new Windows 10 key.

After a bit I decided to wipe the slate clean and start with a fresh install. So, I used the MCT and created an installation disk. I tried to do a fresh install from the disk after a reboot but my Crucial SSD was not showing in the list. So, I figured I would try the reinstallation from within Windows. I logged in, launched the disk and off we went. Successful reinstall. I went to activate Windows but when I tried, it said 'Unable to reach Windows activation servers'. I could not get Windows to activate.

So, I used an older Windows installation disk I created (a year or so ago) and it installed just fine and I was able to activate it. So that's where I sit now.

So, my question, if I decide to retry installing from the latest disk I created (newer version, I don't recall which, but very recent) and it continues to tell me Windows is not activated, what are my options?

:)

TQWorld, Feb 2, 2018

2. Unable to Activate

Okay so Windows 7 was a retail license?

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 2, 2018
  3. Jekeltor Win User
    Unable to Activate

I bought Windows 7 and then got the free upgrade. I had it associated with my Microsoft account. When I got to Microsoft - Official Home Page and I look at devices, the new PC I'm on says "To be filled by OEM"

Jekeltor, Feb 2, 2018
  4. Unable to activate

You have not clean install Windows 10 you have Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade.

In order to clean install Windows 10 computer need to booted from Windows 10 Installation Media.

Install latest version of Windows 10 and if it does not activate contact Microsoft support.

FreeBooter, Feb 2, 2018
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    The biggest question right now is, what does your activation screen say?

Unable to activate [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Feb 2, 2018
  6. TQWorld Win User
    Thank you both for the responses.

NavyLCDR - I am not able to provide a screenshot because, after seeing that, I went ahead and installed an older build of Win 10 Pro (1607). I had some hardware issues with that, so I installed a newer 1607 build (from Microsoft's website vs the MCT created image) and it was able to activate just fine and remained activated after upgrading to 1709.

Marking as resolved. Thanks again for the thoughts and input. Greatly appreciated.

TQWorld, Feb 2, 2018
  7. We are glad to hear your issue has been resolved, thank you for letting us know that all is now well!

FreeBooter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to activate

1. Unable to activate - Similar Threads - Unable activate

2. Unable to activate Windows 11 Enterprise error code:0xc004c003

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to activate Windows 11 Enterprise error code:0xc004c003: I have an issue that my Windows can not be activated after upgrading to Win 11It's an Enterprise version and Windows is upgraded to Win 11. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-activate-windows-11-enterprise-error/b8ce50cf-bbba-41aa-8d5c-75442b2c6e25
  3. Unable to activate Windows 11 Enterprise error code:0xc004c003

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to activate Windows 11 Enterprise error code:0xc004c003: I have an issue that my Windows can not be activated after upgrading to Win 11It's an Enterprise version and Windows is upgraded to Win 11. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-activate-windows-11-enterprise-error/b8ce50cf-bbba-41aa-8d5c-75442b2c6e25
  4. Unable to activate Windows 10 Education on home computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to activate Windows 10 Education on home computer: My home computer crashed in 2022. The person fixing the computer upgraded my computer to Windows 10 Education. I am not affiliated with any school or institution, I work at home. I have been unable to activate my Windows 10 because it keeps saying "we can't activate Windows...
  5. Unable to activate Windows 10 Education on home computer

Unable to activate Windows 10 Education on home computer: My home computer crashed in 2022. The person fixing the computer upgraded my computer to Windows 10 Education. I am not affiliated with any school or institution, I work at home. I have been unable to activate my Windows 10 because it keeps saying "we can't activate Windows...
  6. Unable to activate Windows 10 Education on home computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Unable to activate Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to activate Windows: Windows 11 was previously activated. I am now being asked to go through the activation process again. I'm not sure what has changed. The only changes I've made have been driver installations.I followed the steps listed here without success: linkThere is an "Activate" button...
  8. Unable to activate Windows

Unable to activate Windows: Windows 11 was previously activated. I am now being asked to go through the activation process again. I'm not sure what has changed. The only changes I've made have been driver installations.I followed the steps listed here without success: linkThere is an "Activate" button...
  9. i tried to activate windows 10 Ltsc but an error keeps saying unable to activate windows...

i tried to activate windows 10 Ltsc but an error keeps saying unable to activate windows...: i tried to activate windows 10 Ltsc but an error keeps saying unable to activate windows error code 0x800705B4 .I tried to reboot nothingand i checked my internet its perfect...
  10. i tried to activate windows 10 Ltsc but an error keeps saying unable to activate windows...

in Windows 10 Customization
    i tried to activate windows 10 Ltsc but an error keeps saying unable to activate windows...: i tried to activate windows 10 Ltsc but an error keeps saying unable to activate windows error code 0x800705B4 .I tried to reboot nothingand i checked my internet its perfect...