Windows 10: Unable to add a drive for File History

Discus and support Unable to add a drive for File History in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm having trouble setting the windows 10 file history drive. The drive I'm trying to use is Y: on disk 4 in the disk management image attached, which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by littlerat, Oct 16, 2015.

1. littlerat Win User

Unable to add a drive for File History

I'm having trouble setting the windows 10 file history drive. The drive I'm trying to use is Y: on disk 4 in the disk management image attached, which shares a 4TB hdd with another two partitions. It uses GPT and is a dynamic disk. All partitions are formatted as NTFS. When I go to file history and attempt to set the drive, only another partition on a different hdd is selectable which I would prefer to not use.

I was able to use this drive for file history up until I reinstalled windows 10 recently, where I formatted down to windows 7 from windows 10 tech preview, then upgraded to windows 10 to activate my old win 7 key. This was done after a recent major hardware upgrade (motherboard/cpu/ram). The 4TB hdd wouldn't have been touched by any of the windows installation procedures and I haven't set any page or hybernation files to it. The only difference is that it's plugged into a different motherboard. The old motherboard was a Gigabyte GA-980FXA UD5 (rev 2101) and the new one is a Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming GT G1 (rev 1).

I've had a look around on the web, and solutions have asked to remove any folders on the partition from libraries, which I have done as far as I can tell, with no success (there weren't any in the first place, but there were some on the other partitions which I've removed). Another solution was to share the partition with full read/write access to everybody. This did work, but it seems like terrible work around rather than a fix.

I'm guessing this might have something to do with the GBT/dynamic nature of the disk, but if that was the case then it shouldn't have worked before the reinstalls as it should still be the same.

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks

:)

littlerat, Oct 16, 2015

2. File History - Cannot "Add a Drive" again after selecting "Stop using drive"

I've been told that the "add drive" does normally no longer displays that message after you have already, indeed, added a drive. I haven't tried the technical ways that may return that message because it will only disappear again after using again, right?

Windows & benzos, Oct 16, 2015
  3. Pizzle101 Win User
    File History - Cannot "Add a Drive" again after selecting "Stop using drive"

I just installed Win 10, and am having a challenge with file history settings.

I set it up fine initially, but then I was playing around with the "Backup Options" page. I selected "Stop using drive" as a test. Then I went back and tried to "Add Drive" again, but that drive was no longer available in the drop down list. I redid the
    same sequence with another drive and that drive also went missing from the options. The drives still work fine, but are no longer options for File History. It seems that file history has black-listed them.

How can I fix this issue? Is there a File History config somewhere that needs to be reset?

Pizzle101, Oct 16, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

Have you tried running disk for as a basic disk?

5. littlerat Win User
    I reformatted it to basic, but it still won't show.

littlerat, Oct 17, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
    Strange, you could try some third part apps. Many users here use Macrium, I use AOMEI. I will try to find some answers, but will be busy with football today. I will ask for some help.

Also wanted to add, that's a very nice build you have.

7. Cliff S New Member
    On Windows 10 build 10240 file history only works with a USB external drive. I could use it in Win8.1 with my 2nd internal, but on ten it has to be external. Also if you use your OneDrive folders(which saves both on your system and in "cloud")as default, you can access you history on the online(through browser) version, of things you have deleted until you empty the online recycle bin.

Cliff S, Oct 17, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

Windows 10 - How Use File History to Backup Data Step by Step

Cliff S, Oct 17, 2015
  9. Cliff S New Member
  10. Boozad Win User
    Just another option, but if you click More Options under Add a drive then See advanced settings it takes you to Control Panel where you can choose Select Drive on the left hand side. Worth a look.

Boozad, Oct 17, 2015
  11. Cliff S New Member
    I have tried that it didn't work. But there is supposedly a work around(which I really didn't understand how to do) where you create a partition and something with making that a network drive??? Do you know what I mean Gav?

Cliff S, Oct 17, 2015
  12. Boozad Win User
    I'm not too sure Cliff, I don't really use backup but I'll certainly have a play around when I get back next Thursday.

Boozad, Oct 17, 2015
  13. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Using Net Share perhaps ? Can't quite remember how to either.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 18, 2015
  14. Cliff S New Member
    @fdegrove I think you're right, there.
    It did have something to do with sharing. I just can't remember where I read that work around.
    I just couldn't really figure it out, and decided that since my libraries(downloads, music, pictures, videos),
    are on my 2nd internal, and documents are sync'd to OneDrive(only documents) and only desktop remaining on C: disk,
    I didn't need it for my desktop PC.

It works on my laptop though, with a 1 1/2TB USB ext. drive.

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to add a drive for File History - Similar Threads - Unable add drive

2. File History drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History drive: I keep getting reminders to reconnect my File History drive but I dont know how to do this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/a235d77c-2a4a-44ab-a636-059ad866d9d1
  3. File History Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File History Drive: I have lost my file history drive , is there anything I can do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/17d5237c-a1a9-4012-8ee9-272fd9f6ae1c
  4. Add an external drive to File History

Add an external drive to File History: Windows 10 1909 I've added an external data drive to my system, and would like the files to be backed up using File History. It doesn't seem to matter if I select the drive, or individual folders on the drive, back up data never shows up. Is this something File History...
  5. Unable to add folders to File History Backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to add folders to File History Backup: Hi everyone, hopefully this is the right place to post. I’m trying to create a backup as part of a course and I’m running into issues. The assignment specifies using backup and restore (windows 7) for this, but when I click on setup backup nothing happens. The spinning wheel...
  6. File History Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History Drive: I keep getting a Dialog Box saying my File History Drive was disconnected for too long. How do I reconnect it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/442571f2-fe20-44be-8691-d86db17a37d6"
  7. Unable to backup File History on Storage Space drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to backup File History on Storage Space drive: I’m trying to set up and use Windows 10 File History for the first time. I go into Control Panel, File History, then Select drive, but only my D: drive (an internal SSD) and 3x network shares (on external NAS) appear on the list of drives recognised by File History. It does...
  8. File history drive

File history drive: I try to do a back-up but keep getting "reconnect file history drive". I use a 64G memory stick but nothing works. HELP?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/34bd6a18-5ded-4c05-81c3-6c41f0b751a4
  9. file history drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    file history drive: can anyone help me to rehook up my file history drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/52df8658-6058-4a94-acf4-83ce852d6d00
  10. File History Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Drive: Hello, Can anyone tell me how to stop a maintenance message"file history drive has been disconnected too long-reconnect drive"from displaying. I only connect my WD Passport drive backup drive once a month and do not need to be be informed that it is disconnected. Thanx...