Windows 10: Unable to add local admin account

Discus and support Unable to add local admin account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Periodically I acquire computers from ex-employees that only have themselves as local Users. Even though I'm in the Administrators Group as a domain... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by SpacecmanSpiff, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Unable to add local admin account

Periodically I acquire computers from ex-employees that only have themselves as local Users.
    Even though I'm in the Administrators Group as a domain admin, I don't have permission to add anyone to local Users.
    I need to clean these up for redeployment and often wind up formatting/reinstalling.
    Surely there's a simpler, faster way to achieve this?

:)

SpacecmanSpiff, Sep 20, 2017

2. Change default user Windows 10 Build 1709

Using an admin account is not recommended because no UAC Controls apply on it.

On the default account, create a local admin account:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5440-add-lo...

Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 20, 2017
  3. SeanDodd Win User
    Merge local child account with Microsoft account?

I tried this but what I'm finding is that local accounts that were converted from Win 7 to 10 do not allow the 'Sign in with a MS account' option.

The link is there, but when selected nothing happens. I have tried changing the accounts from Users to Admin, but still no luck.

The local admin account that was converted cannot even add new accounts. In the end I had to use win + R + control userpasswords2 to add a new Admin which I associated with my MS Account. This admin can add new accounts, but still the existing local user
    accounts cannot be converted.

Is there a way to either 1) convert a local account to use an MS account (from the admin account or registry edit, I'm happy either way), or 2) merge a new MS account based login with the local user account?

The local accounts have a lot of work saved and apps set up that I don't want them to loose.

SeanDodd, Sep 20, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Unable to add local admin account

Welcome to the forum if you add domain admin to local admin group while on the domain it should work. Your domain is setup wrong DC admins must control local admin or a user can lock you out

Samuria, Sep 20, 2017
  5. Thanks! That's what I thought.
    I am a member of the domain admin group that is in the local admin group yet I can't even add myself as an admin or local User.
    We've been locked out of ex-employee machines before.
    Where do I look in DC for the local admin control setting that's obviously wrong?
    I won't have permission to change it, but I can point it out to the people that do.

SpacecmanSpiff, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to add local admin account

1. Unable to add local admin account - Similar Threads - Unable add local

2. Unable to add local account windows 10...not enough characters

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to add local account windows 10...not enough characters: I need to be able to add local accounts that are not microsoft accounts. The userid needs to be the person’s email address. When i try to add them, there are not enough characters for the userid. Is there a way around this?...
  3. Admin account unable to add an app to Microsoft Store for Education

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Admin account unable to add an app to Microsoft Store for Education: I am wanting to make an app available in our Microsoft for Education Store. I have been able to find it in the standard Microsoft Store. see below image [ATTACH] And am also able to locate it in the Microsoft Store for Education when I am not signed in. However, you will...
  4. add an admin user account

in Windows 10 Customization
    add an admin user account: how do I add an admin user account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-an-admin-user-account/9bcb122b-8bda-426e-991c-72232b8ea4b2
  5. Unable add new MS or local accounts, something is broken

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable add new MS or local accounts, something is broken: Using Windows 10 Pro, 1909, build 18363.815. It was installed last Feb and I am the only user. sfc /scannow reports everything is OK and so does chkdsk. I would like to create a local account, and use that instead of the Microsoft account, but I am unable to do so. get the...
  6. Local admin account vs domain admin account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local admin account vs domain admin account: Can both local admin account and domain admin account make changes on the Windows 10 Pro PC? Like installing programs, uninstalling, making network changes etc. Does one account has more access than the other?...
  7. admin accounts (local or Microsoft?)

admin accounts (local or Microsoft?): Hi I have used Win 10 since it came out and in general, I'm happy with it. Is there a difference in system access rights given to a local account administrator as compared to an Microsoft account based logon to an admin account? The reason I ask is that I only have one log...
  8. Two local admin. account

Two local admin. account: Have two Administrator accounts, both are shown as "Local. " Cannot delete/change the type of account. Windows keeps telling me I am signed in to the account. HELP 34557
  9. Running as a local Admin account

Running as a local Admin account: I am running Windows 10, currently running as a local Admin account and I am the only one using the machine. However, I am thinking to run as a Limited User instead by creating another User account as making that as an Admin account. Couple of questions though. 1). My...
  10. unable to add second admin account

unable to add second admin account: Windows 10 Home ver 1703. It used to be the case that we could add a second admin account, and delete the original. This was handy as a way to clear info of a previous user, whether they sold the computer, they died, or sometimes to clear up a clogged up machine. From...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows admin unable to add account