Windows 10: unable to backup start tiles from basic user

Discus and support unable to backup start tiles from basic user in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Read that Windows 10 Pro will not allow you to use Export-StartLayout -Path in PowerShell to backup start tiles. Group Policy editor would only allow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by biglee, Aug 28, 2016.

1. biglee Win User

unable to backup start tiles from basic user

Read that Windows 10 Pro will not allow you to use Export-StartLayout -Path in PowerShell to backup start tiles. Group Policy editor would only allow me to freeze/not delete start tiles for Administrator only. If I was to rename the Database folder for other users to Database.old could I then copy the Database folder from the following path C:\Users\annan_000\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database for other users to use the same start tiles that I use?

Thank you in advance for your help suggestions.

:)

biglee, Aug 28, 2016

2. Start tiles location

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer used to contain the actual start tiles and database. Backing up that folder used to backup Start Tiles. It is no longer there. For some bizarre reason, microsoft seems to be keeping this a big secret. Does
    anybody know what folder to back up to restore tiles and layout?

Respectfully Signed,

Not very hopeful

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization / Start Menu]

Norman Acunis, Aug 28, 2016
  3. cchip98 Win User
    Unable to removed pinned item from start menu

I have just upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro (August 7th 2015) and have been creating tiles for the start menu. When I first opened the start menu I removed all of the default live tiles so I could make my own custom tiles, I successfully
    created custom tiles linked to a custom library.

However, I have now decided I wish to remove this tile and am unable to do so, when I select unpin from start menu the item does not remove whatsoever. When I created the tile I did so in the following manner:

1. Created a shortcut to the library on my desktop

2. Right clicked, and selected 'Pin to Start'

3. Opened the start menu and it was there

This single tile is causing great trouble for me as I am unable to fully customise my start menu, especially as it is in the way of other tiles I wish to create.

cchip98, Aug 28, 2016
Thema:

unable to backup start tiles from basic user

1. unable to backup start tiles from basic user - Similar Threads - unable backup start

2. Unable to delete the tiles in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete the tiles in Start Menu: Trying to delete the Settings and Microsoft Store. But cannot delete it. Only these three options are there. Could not remove it from here. Both for Settings icon and Microsoft Store. Is there a PS script that could do this. I have checked the group policy to see that did I...
  3. Unable to delete the tiles in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to delete the tiles in Start Menu: Trying to delete the Settings and Microsoft Store. But cannot delete it. Only these three options are there. Could not remove it from here. Both for Settings icon and Microsoft Store. Is there a PS script that could do this. I have checked the group policy to see that did I...
  4. Unable to delete the tiles in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Backup start menu tile layout

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup start menu tile layout: Hi all, I have quite a few websites installed as fake apps via Microsoft Edge these days.I access all of these via pinned icons on the Windows 10 start menu. I've had issues before where a Windows 10 update or Edge update has wiped out these websites installed as fake apps,...
  6. Delay on starting programs from tiles

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delay on starting programs from tiles: Steam and Origin are big offenders here, but they're not alone. I click to launch, the start menu stays open and nothing happens. After about a ten second delay, the start menu closes and the program launches. It happens with numerous custom tiles I've created, including...
  7. Unable to start Quickbooks backup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to start Quickbooks backup: I reinstalled Windows 10. Since that moment I have been trying to get QuickBooks online back up to work. But it will not start. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-start-quickbooks-backup/ff202f04-92bc-46c5-8a74-01891c50e72c
  8. Unpin tile from "Start"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unpin tile from "Start": Hello,Cannot unpin an old tile from Start.Click on it does not open any program, right click on it has two options:Unpin from start - does not work, or Resize - working. I can also relocate it, but it refuses to go.Made a search on the internet, tried some answers but its...
  9. Unable to Unpin Folder Tile from Start Menu.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to Unpin Folder Tile from Start Menu.: I'm unable to remove this tile from my Start Menu. It was a folder shortcut which was working fine until I changed the letter of the drive it belonged to. There are only two options when I right click, one is to unpin and the other is to resize the tile. I have tried pretty...
  10. Unable to Unpin Tiles from the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Unpin Tiles from the Start Menu: Hello all, I love Windows 10. I really do. However, there's one slight nuisance that is really starting to get on my nerves. Every time I right-click a tile, select something such as "Unpin from Start," absolutely nothing happens. The tile remains, I can reshape it, move...