Windows 10: Unable to boot after trying to Clone with Acronis

Discus and support Unable to boot after trying to Clone with Acronis in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been having problems with this System Thread Exception Not Handled ASUSFILTER.SYS I would get as far as the Desktop for a few seconds then I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FredM8, Aug 3, 2017.

1. FredM8 Win User

Unable to boot after trying to Clone with Acronis

I have been having problems with this System Thread Exception Not Handled ASUSFILTER.SYS
    I would get as far as the Desktop for a few seconds then I would get the BSOD.

At one point I thought that I had got it fixed and decided to clone straight away. I have a drive just for that, for backup. But, upon the required Acronis restart I got the BSOD all over again, and now I am unable to boot from either drive ?

My computer can see the drive in the BIOS, but it does not list it in the boot Menu ? The two drives can still be opened via a dock on my other machine.I need to be able to get at least one of these drives booting again before I can get back to the original ASUSFILTER.SYS problem.

The various options given by windows with a repair/restore disk do not solve anything.This is a problem that is ending me round and round in circles.

I am running W10 pro.

Help badly needed.

:)

FredM8, Aug 3, 2017

2. Strange "C Missing" in Restore window

Results of testing Acronis clone and Image restore.

Boot SSD 1 – verified that there is no C Missing.

Created a second restore point for this drive.

Wipe SSD 2.

Clone SSD 1 to SSD 2 using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot from SSD 2.

C Missing exists on SSD 2

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection ON for C Missing.

Wipe SSD 2.

Image SSD1 to External backup drive using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Restore image from external drive to SSD2 with Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot SSD2.

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection turned ON for C Missing.

My Results of testing;

Macrium clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Macrium Image restore does NOT create C Missing on imaged drive

Acronis clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Acronis image restore creates C Missing on imaged drive.

Turning Protection OFF on C Missing removes it from System Protection window.

Must turn protection on for C System.

These are my results - Others may have different results.

snifferpro, Aug 3, 2017
  3. chompy33 Win User
    Windows 10 has a black screen with cursor (cursor with loading symbol) after cloning

How did you reslove it please? Im facing the exact same problem and i cant find anything helpful

Initially, I used Acronis to clone my disk using the program from Windows; Acronis was installed on the source disk. That is what resulted in the black screen error. To fix it, I made an Acronis Boot Disk, booted into the disk, and started the cloning process
    there.

chompy33, Aug 3, 2017
  4. Unable to boot after trying to Clone with Acronis

Just last week I got an SSD and of course clone Windows from HDD to SSD because re installing windows is really a pain because all of the software and configuration needed anyway I tried some cloning software but what I found efficient is AOMEI Backupper Professional I really recommend clone back using it, I tried before it Acronis, EaseUS Partition Master and unfortunately both failed in Cloning because they only cloned C Drive not the system drive which are hidden and Windows installation saves boot info and manager on those hidden driver and after using AOMEI it cloned both C and that driver that tagged * with bootmanager and everything went good, try and report back...

and if you don't want to clone again try going to UFEI boot menu and going to troubleshoot and startup options to start windows without driver signature checking or verify.

MetalSaint, Aug 3, 2017
  5. FredM8 Win User
    I have used Acronis many times before, I have used it for years. This is a new problem that has come about because of the
    System Thread Exception Not Handled ASUSFILTER.SYS
    Problem.

My hard drives are no longer visible in the boot menu since my last (FAILED) attempt at cloning.

FredM8, Aug 3, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Aug 3, 2017
  7. FredM8 Win User
    Thank you.
    I will give that a try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

FredM8, Aug 3, 2017
  8. FredM8 Win User

Well, I have downloaded and burned to a DVD this fantastic little package.

After using Macrium the prog asks to restart, I click yes but the PC just hangs and I have to shut down from the Desktop.
    But, after running Malwarbytes, Macrium, and then BootIce to restore the MBR, I am still getting the error message below.

Intel (R) Boot Agent GE v1.5.47Copyright (C) 1997-2013, Intel CorporationPXE-E61: Media test failure, check cablePXE-MOF: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

Then my machine goes to the BIOS.

As this whole mess started with me getting the BSOD due to this file ASUSFILTER.SYS then I would like to be able to uninstall the ASUS AI suite 3, that it belongs to.
    How would I do that with my computer in it's present condition ?
    I can open each drive via 'This PC' on the start menu.

I have just run the long version of HD Tune to check for errors, and all is OK.

FredM8, Aug 4, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    In BIOS setup, you need to disable PXE (network) booting and move the hard drive to the top of the boot order list.

NavyLCDR, Aug 4, 2017
  10. FredM8 Win User
    I have been through the BIOS and disabled anything with PXE in it. On the opening page of my BIOS

Port 1 shows my Samsung SSD

Port 4 shows my ASUS CDROM drive

But, the Boot menu only shows ...

IBA GE Slot 00C8 v1547
    or
    my ASUS CD ROM drive

I think that I may have solved the problem with the ASUSFILTER.SYS file. I have a second computer that is also running W10 Pro on a Z97 Mobo. So I copied the file from the second machine and pasted it into the one with the problems.
    But I wont know if it has been successful until I can boot it up again.

And I am still getting this error message ...

Intel (R) Boot Agent GE v1.5.47Copyright (C) 1997-2013, Intel CorporationPXE-E61:
    Media test failure, check cablePXE-MOF:
    Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

What do I do now ?

FredM8, Aug 4, 2017
  11. FredM8 Win User
    Stranger and stranger ???

For some reason I tried removing my main drive and putting it in the space below, separate bay and separate Sata connection. It worked ! I tried shutting down and re-starting and that also worked. after the next shutdown the old problem with the ASUSFILTER.SYS file returned. After quite a few more attempts at getting my PC to boot, I had another success and straight away uninstalled the Asus AI3 suite.

So far this seems to have solved the problem.

The disks are all back in their original places, they are working, and showing in the BIOS in the places where they are supposed to show. Strangely enough, during the boot up I am still getting this error message ...
    Media test failure, check cablePXE-MOF:
    Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

But it does not display for long and then I get the windows Logo and the boot proceeds.

Its all very strange stuff.

Thanks again for the advice

FredM8, Aug 4, 2017
  12. spunk Win User
    Boot into the Bios go to the Security Tab. If UEFI Bios is enabled, see if the Intel Boot Agent is listed first, can you move the HDD to first boot? Also check under the Boot tab move HDD to First Boot Device.

spunk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to boot after trying to Clone with Acronis - Similar Threads - Unable boot trying

2. Cloned SSD via Acronis True Image Booting up Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned SSD via Acronis True Image Booting up Error: I’m upgrading my PC’s SSD. To clone the SSD that was within the PC I used Acronis True Image. Connected via a Sabrent Enclosure and USB-C to USB-C cable. The clone was successful on the software. I took the old SSD out of the PC and replaced with the new. Upon boot up, the PC...
  3. Cloned SSD via Acronis True Image Booting up Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloned SSD via Acronis True Image Booting up Error: I’m upgrading my PC’s SSD. To clone the SSD that was within the PC I used Acronis True Image. Connected via a Sabrent Enclosure and USB-C to USB-C cable. The clone was successful on the software. I took the old SSD out of the PC and replaced with the new. Upon boot up, the PC...
  4. Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!: Been trying to upgrade my main drive from a 256gb nvme to a 512g nvme. I've tried using both AOMEI Backupper and making an image of the drive using a Live CD of Linux but both don't work, When i boot with the cloned 512gb nvme it says that "files are missing" and it wont get...
  5. Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!: Been trying to upgrade my main drive from a 256gb nvme to a 512g nvme. I've tried using both AOMEI Backupper and making an image of the drive using a Live CD of Linux but both don't work, When i boot with the cloned 512gb nvme it says that "files are missing" and it wont get...
  6. Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Acronis Cloned Disk fails to boot.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Acronis Cloned Disk fails to boot.: I have a backup plan that, aside from making regular Acronis images of the C drive, I also clone the C (Samsung 970 M.2 SSD) to D (Samsung 850 SSD). The saved images work perfectly with respect to recovering the C drive. However, I decided to test booting from the cloned D...
  8. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD: I recently cloned my HDD to my SSD, to have my OS run quicker. The cloning went well, and I have set the SSD as the nr. 1 in the boot priority (each and every one of them), yet when I go into the Disk Management, my old HDD (C drive) is still labelled "boot" ***Original...
  9. Unable to recovery after cloning

Unable to recovery after cloning: Hi all, I upgraded to a Samsung Evo SSD by cloning with Samsung Migration software. After swapping the SSD, I am unable to do recovery option. Please advise. Thank you....
  10. "your pc needs to be repaired 0x000000e" after cloning in acronis

"your pc needs to be repaired 0x000000e" after cloning in acronis: Hi, I have recently cloned my windows 10 in the C drive to a new F drive using Acronis True Image 2016. after attempting booting to the new F drive I get this blue screen: [img] I tried repair with a fresh copy of windows 10 on bootable USB but it didn't work....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after cloning with acronis I get this message: failure to display security and shut down options

2. since acronis windows not boot

3. after installing the backup through acronis and restart the pc its not working

4. tried to open acronis for crucial and got repair or uninstall menu?,
  5. error code 0xc000000e after acronis restore