Windows 10: Unable to boot to BIOS unless gpu is reseated

Discus and support Unable to boot to BIOS unless gpu is reseated in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey guys I've had this persisting issue with this particular build since I got the i7, the mobo and the ram. The GPU and the PSU have been used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by terrorc0n, May 11, 2017.

1. terrorc0n Win User

Unable to boot to BIOS unless gpu is reseated

Hey guys

I've had this persisting issue with this particular build since I got the i7, the mobo and the ram.
    The GPU and the PSU have been used in previous builds with absolutely zero issues.

This issue has stopped and started over several months, starting when the build was first completed.
    It seems that, whenever I add a new HDD, or change anything hardware wise after completing the work I am unable to boot to BIOS.
    Previously I was resetting the CMOS and leaving it over night and it normally would come right.

Once the pc does get past the BIOS, I won't have an issue for months, unless I change any hardware.

Until tonight when I had found that my RAM was not running on XMP profile to get the correct speed, so I went into the BIOS, selected profile 1, everything else auto and saved and restarted.

The pc would post absolutely fine and everything including the graphics card whirrs up fine but the screen is blank.

After deciding to pull all the components out and reseating, I found that when the GPU was reseated I got a display, but I when I tried to enable this XMP profile, I would be back at the black screen with no BIOS or anything, until I reseat the GPU again.

I have managed to get the pc "working" again, but reseating the gpu and loading optimized default BIOS settings, but I am concerned as to why it is doing it and if there may be something that is potentially faulty.

As explained above the GPU and PSU have both been used on previous builds with no issues like this at all, so I don't believe it could be either (I could be wrong though) and I don't get any ram errors at post either.

Any form of help would be greatly appreciated *Smile

PC Specs
    CPU - Intel i7 6700k

Motherboard - Gigabyte gigabyte z170x-ud3 ultra - F22 latest BIOS firmware

RAM - 2X DDR4 8GB Ballistic 2400 mhz

GPU - EVGA GTX 970 FTW

PSU - 750w Cooler Master

:)

terrorc0n, May 11, 2017

2. Windows 10 reset caused infinite restart loops of choosing language and country/customize windows settings

Try resetting the BIOS/CMOS and see if that helps. Also try powering down your system and leave it without power (from the PSU for a few minutes. Also try reseating all the parts and try running the system on its bare minimums (sinlge RAM stick, CPU only
    (without a GPU), at stock speeds) and see if it boots.

Captain_WD, May 11, 2017
  3. Windows 10 killed my computer

You were asked if you'd toggled onboard GPU in BIOS, possibly when resetting CMOS? Please reply.

Either way the GPU should be tested by reseating video card while cleaning its contacts, or if no card adding one to test if it resolves No Signal.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, May 11, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

This is truly mysterious. It's hard to believe that hardware issues aren't involved here, perhaps with the multi-layer leads from the various buses (PCIe especially) to the CPU. OTOH, there could be issues with the UEFI-to-CPU circuitry. If your motherboard is still under warranty, I'd be talking to Gigabyte about a swap-out. Perhaps other forum members will have better ideas?
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 11, 2017
  5. terrorc0n Win User
    Hi EdTittel

Thanks for your quick response!
    I believe it is probably the motherboard also, i just wanted to check that there wasn't anything else maybe that could cause such an issue.
    I will try to return the motherboard in the next few days (have to take it back to the distributor here in NZ, which is painful).
    I will repost on here when after speaking with them, unless someone has some sort of black magic to make it all magically work!
    Unable to boot to BIOS unless gpu is reseated :)

terrorc0n, May 13, 2017
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Good luck with the vendor. Again, it's hard to imagine how hardware/motherboard issues aren't involved or at fault in your situation.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 15, 2017
  7. terrorc0n Win User
    So I haven't managed to return my Motherboard yet, though I did purchase another (Gigabyte branded) GTX 970 for my HTPC. I tested the new Gigabyte Branded GTX 970 GPU in the above PC and I haven't been able to recreate the same fault. Therefore I believe that this may actually be an issue with the original EVGA GTX 970, I do find this quite strange as it was working perfectly fine up until it was installed on the PC described above. I will be taking the GPU (EVGA GTX 970) into the local store I purchased it from tomorrow for them to test and hopefully cover under warranty, I will update this thread further when I get a response from the local store if anyone cares to read Unable to boot to BIOS unless gpu is reseated :)

terrorc0n, May 15, 2017
  8. terrorc0n Win User

Hey Guys, so I have tested the original 970 in another PC and I can't seem to fault it at all, with all the same functions I was doing on my other PC, so im not really sure whats happened at all haha. Though I guess it's kind of solved??
    Thanks for all responses Unable to boot to BIOS unless gpu is reseated :)

terrorc0n, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to boot to BIOS unless gpu is reseated - Similar Threads - Unable boot BIOS

2. GPU stops running when bios boots

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    GPU stops running when bios boots: Asus ROG STRIX B550f, AMD Ryzen 9 12 core, 32gb ram with 2tb, Xfx Radeon swft310 10gb gpu, gpu turns off when bios boots into windows and displays no signal, cpu shows no fault lights and cpu is running normal in bios, any thought? Everything worked perfectly the prior day...
  3. GPU stops running when bios boots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU stops running when bios boots: Asus ROG STRIX B550f, AMD Ryzen 9 12 core, 32gb ram with 2tb, Xfx Radeon swft310 10gb gpu, gpu turns off when bios boots into windows and displays no signal, cpu shows no fault lights and cpu is running normal in bios, any thought? Everything worked perfectly the prior day...
  4. GPU stops running when bios boots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Computer wont boot unless I enter the Bios and then exit.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer wont boot unless I enter the Bios and then exit.: SO, I have a Dell computer and whenever I turn it off or try to restart it, it will beep 2 times and wont boot, however if i press the F2 key and enter then exit the BIOS it will start up normally. So, I check The BIOS for error messages, and it shows a Rear Fan Error, but...
  6. Computer wont boot unless I enter the Bios and then exit.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer wont boot unless I enter the Bios and then exit.: SO, I have a Dell computer and whenever I turn it off or try to restart it, it will beep 2 times and wont boot, however if i press the F2 key and enter then exit the BIOS it will start up normally. So, I check The BIOS for error messages, and it shows a Rear Fan Error, but...
  7. Computer wont boot unless I enter the Bios and then exit.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  8. Unable To Reach BIOS When Connected to Standalone GPU

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Unable To Reach BIOS When Connected to Standalone GPU: I built a computer about a month ago and had no issue getting to the BIOS. Although, I found that the MOBO had issues after a few weeks and decided to purchase a different one(as well as a new PSU, but that isn't important). Since the new MOBO has been put in, I have been...
  9. Unable To Reach BIOS When Connected to Standalone GPU

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable To Reach BIOS When Connected to Standalone GPU: I built a computer about a month ago and had no issue getting to the BIOS. Although, I found that the MOBO had issues after a few weeks and decided to purchase a different one(as well as a new PSU, but that isn't important). Since the new MOBO has been put in, I have been...
  10. SSD migrated system not booting unless selected in bios.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD migrated system not booting unless selected in bios.: My wife purchased a Dell 8700 XPS with i7 4790 processor,16GB ram. and Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 4GB and a 2 terabyte hard drive. She also purchased a Kingston HyperX 120 GB SSD. I used a popular software to migrated Windows 8.1 Home to the SSD from the HDD. This seemed to work...