Windows 10: Unable to boot to Windows not even from USB drive

Discus and support Unable to boot to Windows not even from USB drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, the other day I was greeted with blue screen that "a required device is not connected" and the PC wont boot. I tried EasyBCD but it did not work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Saad Anwar, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Unable to boot to Windows not even from USB drive

Hi, the other day I was greeted with blue screen that "a required device is not connected" and the PC wont boot. I tried EasyBCD but it did not work and stuck on some ATA error loop.
    But after that I got a new blue screen and this time "The Boot Configuration Data file doesnt contain valid information for an operating system".
    File: \Boot\BCD
    Error Code: 0xc0000098

Now the problem is i am trying to boot my computer to attempt some repair but its not showing me anything even I am booting from the bootable USB drive created in Rufus. I have also tried setting priority to USB in boot sequence but in vain. What can I do, i am not even able to format and install an operating system. Set aside the question of repairing. PLEASE HELP !!

Note: This is the third time I am getting this kind of problem in one year of my purchase of new PC. I have UEFI BIOS and I dont know may be thats the culprit behind all this. All the three times my BIOS settings was default and PC was working fine but one 'fine' day everything suddenly changes and everytime I had almost the same kind of problem.

PC Configuration
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i5 Skylake
    Gigabyte H110 S2PH
    Kingston Hyper X 8GB
    Three Hard Disk Western Digital 1 TB, 640GB and 500 GB

:)

Saad Anwar, Feb 23, 2017

2. Windows 10 Unmountable Boot Volume Error

created bootable USB drive but unable to boot from the same

agrawal.k.anil, Feb 23, 2017
  3. Problem when trying to creat C and D partition (0x85b02c50)

This is a long-standing bug in Windows Setup, which MS doesn't seem to have the ability to fix even though every other major OS' installer gets it right. Let me just quote from

this well-written article
    that also has the solution:

This error is hardware-dependant and its appearance varies from PC to PC. It depends on your motherboard, your USB interface, the USB stick you are using, and the version of Windows you are installing.

During setup, Windows must identify which drive is your primary boot drive in order to correctly configure the MBR and bootloader. This error does not normally apply to EFI and UEFI installations of Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows
    10. You can read everything there is to know about the MBR configuration and boot process here.

Depending on how your PC is configured and which hardware you are using, Windows setup can sometimes be unable to tell which drive is an external USB drive and which drive is a local disk that Windows should be installed to. This
    especially happens when using larger USB drives to install Windows or if you have configured your BIOS to boot from the USB drive first always. Also, some USB sticks present themselves to Microsoft Windows as a regular drive instead of identifying as a bootable
    USB.

If Windows setup cannot reliably determine which is the boot drive, this error will appear.

Just follow
    Fix #1 (eject and reinsert the USB drive)
    , then delete both partitions shown in your screenshot above and install Win10 to the completely empty drive.

RobertJWin, Feb 23, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Unable to boot to Windows not even from USB drive

Does the USB flash drive have a FAT32 partition on it, or an NTFS partition on it? To boot a USB flash drive on an UEFI computer, it has to be FAT32.

NavyLCDR, Feb 23, 2017
  5. Yes the computer is UEFI but it is disabled in the BIOS. Earlier I created a bootable USB using NTFS partition and installed the drive. And yesterday only when the computer was corrupted, it was booting but now its not.
    Screenshot attached.

Unable to boot to Windows not even from USB drive [​IMG]

Saad Anwar, Feb 24, 2017
  6. I have downloaded WinPe X64 and burned the image using Rufus (NTFS-UEFI/CSM mode). Now when i boot my PC it shows the Windows 10 logo and then heads up to command prompt. What commands do I have to enter here?

Saad Anwar, Feb 25, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    diskpart
    list disk

Are all your drives shown in the result?

NavyLCDR, Feb 25, 2017
  8. Unable to boot to Windows not even from USB drive

Yes the hard disk shows there and online as well, but neither its marked Dyn nor Gpt (I mean star) and it also says the free space is the same as the size. One thing i would like to mention that when i select the disk, sometimes it selects sometime it does not. And also when i enter list volume command after selecting disk, its shows only the USB drive. Screenshot attached. (Using WinPe 10)

Unable to boot to Windows not even from USB drive [​IMG]

Saad Anwar, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Unable to boot to Windows not even from USB drive

1. Unable to boot to Windows not even from USB drive - Similar Threads - Unable boot USB

2. Unable to boot from USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to boot from USB: Hello! I am attempting to help a friend with his Hp 15-dw0037wm notebook. In an attempt to try a clean install of Windows 10 I am unable to boot from the USB. It appears in the Boot Menu and when I select it I get and endless HP logo with spinning dots. I was however able to...
  3. Unable to boot from USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to boot from USB: Hello! I am attempting to help a friend with his Hp 15-dw0037wm notebook. In an attempt to try a clean install of Windows 10 I am unable to boot from the USB. It appears in the Boot Menu and when I select it I get and endless HP logo with spinning dots. I was however able to...
  4. Unable to boot from USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Unable to boot from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot from USB: Hello. Right now I have ZorinOS linux on my SSD. I'm trying to remove it and install clean version of Windows 10. I made several bootable USBs via Rufus on other Windows, Etcher and WoeUSB . In BIOS, I have set up everything properly. My boot priorities are right and...
  6. Unable to boot from usb.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to boot from usb.: Hello! i am using a dell inspiron 3195. the windows instalation broke. i am now using ubuntu. i created a vm in virtualbox to create a recovery usb. i booted from the usb. it just bootloops. plaease help....
  7. Can't boot even from USB

Can't boot even from USB: To give some background, I was using computer to watch YouTube and suddenly it just rebooted (Like i had clicked the reset button). After it restarted i was able to log in and reopen opera to return back to my video. I left it on auto play and walked away to grab a drink and...
  8. Unable to Boot From USB

Unable to Boot From USB: Yesterday I created a USB boot by copying Windows 10 1903 ISO to my usb and then used the media creator to create a boot/setup disk. In trying to boot to the USB via the boot menu, I get nothing but a black screen. I waited once for 10 mts. and tied again with the same...
  9. Unable to boot from USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to boot from USB Flash Drive: I just tried to create a bootable USB stick for Macrium Reflect on my Dell AIO. The creation went smoothly as did the boot. When I took that stick to my Acer Laptop and tried to boot it I got a message saying, "Remove disk or other menu" followed by "Press any key to...
  10. Unable to boot computer from USB flash drive

Unable to boot computer from USB flash drive: hello I have a laptop with bitlocker installed and i do have the login keys for that ... i need to fresh install windows 10 on it and whenever i try to boot with bootable usb device , it doenst work .. the machine has windows 8.1 installed .. my query is whether bit locker...