Windows 10: Unable to change Admin Settings

Discus and support Unable to change Admin Settings in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am having issues writing to C or modifying files on the C Drive. I read that I should explicitly add myself (named) as a user in the security... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by richrd gale, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Unable to change Admin Settings

I am having issues writing to C or modifying files on the C Drive.

I read that I should explicitly add myself (named) as a user in the security settings, which I have done.

When I try to apply the settings, I get the following message for most of the folders in C

Unable to change Admin Settings [​IMG]

I also get the following error if I try to create a .txt file at the route of the C drive.

Unable to change Admin Settings [​IMG]

Please can anyone advise?
    Thanks

:)

richrd gale, Aug 2, 2015

2. Changing Admin Settings

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community. I will certainly assist you with the issue.

I suggest you to create a new user account and change it to admin account.

1.Press WinKey+ Q, type user accounts and click on the result.

2.Then select your User Account > Click Manage another account.

3.In the following window, click Add a user account option.

4.Now we have to create a local account user. So after clicking Add an account, click Sign in without a Microsoft account (Not recommended), then click Local account. Fill the details on the screen so appeared for adding local account. Click Finish when done.

5.Press Windows Key + Q and type cmd, for the search results, click Command Prompt. Type following command and hit Enter key: shutdown /r /o

6.The previous step will result your system to boot into Safe Mode. After getting into Safe Mode, press Windows Key + Q, type user accounts, and pick the same from results so appear. You would have now two accounts on your system; first you’re issued admin
    account and second the local account which you’ve created in step 2. Select local account.

7.Now click Change the account type link in following window:

8.Moving on, change the account status from Standard to Administrator. Click Change Account Type.

You may “Reset your PC” and choose the option “Remove everything”.
    This reinstalls Windows 10 and any apps that came with your PC. This will remove any affiliation with the former franchise.

Recovery options in Windows 10:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Note: Use this option and choose to fully clean the drive. Ensure to back up your data before you start this process. This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to recover files you've removed.

Hope this helps. Get back to us for further assistance.

Swathi Ravichandran, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Changing Admin Settings

Hello,

I've recently purchased my business from my former employer. With that I obviously purchased the computer. I need to change the admin settings (name, passwords, and the like) as to not have it be affiliated with the former franchise. I've changed my Microsoft
    account settings, but the PC itself won't allow me to change it for login etc. What do I need to do? Thanks.

CatalystFitness, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Unfortunately, the 'Take Control' tool doesnt work either, I get the following error code:

Error 0x80070522: A required privilege is not held by the client.

richrd gale, Aug 2, 2015
  5. [youtube]dx5F_bn-JuM[/youtube]

remostalin, Aug 2, 2015
  6. okay, so I tried something else, seems to be updating each file on C:, which so far other methods have thrown an access error.

If you go to C: and right click. Select Properties > Security and then click 'Advanced'

You will see the 'Advanced Security Settings for OS (C*Smile window.

In there, at the top, check the 'Owner:' property is set to you, mine was set at "Trusted Installer".

Click 'Change', type your username and click 'Check Name' then Update.

I will update on if this was successful once mine has all updated.

richrd gale, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to change Admin Settings

1. Unable to change Admin Settings - Similar Threads - Unable change Admin

2. Unable to access backup settings, even as admin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access backup settings, even as admin: We are working with a client. After running hard drive scans, we've noticed the backups are way too big. When we try to save it, the error reads "Could not configure the disk space used for system protection for the following reason: The shadow copy provider had an error....
  3. Unable to access backup settings, even as admin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access backup settings, even as admin: We are working with a client. After running hard drive scans, we've noticed the backups are way too big. When we try to save it, the error reads "Could not configure the disk space used for system protection for the following reason: The shadow copy provider had an error....
  4. Unable to access backup settings, even as admin

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Unable to change PW of other users as an admin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to change PW of other users as an admin: I am the admin for my Windows 11 computerI have 2 other users both adminWhy am I not able to change the passowrds of other users ?I went to the accounts screen & when I go to the given user, it only gives options to either delete the other user account or change the other...
  6. Unable to change PW of other users as an admin

Unable to change PW of other users as an admin: I am the admin for my Windows 11 computerI have 2 other users both adminWhy am I not able to change the passowrds of other users ?I went to the accounts screen & when I go to the given user, it only gives options to either delete the other user account or change the other...
  7. Unable to change admin email or password.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to change admin email or password.: I recently had to delete two email accounts and change my phone number due to a security concern. When updating all my accounts with my new info, I forgot about my Windows 11 account. I'm currently logged in under a deleted email but need to change my admin email and password...
  8. Unable to change admin email or password.

Unable to change admin email or password.: I recently had to delete two email accounts and change my phone number due to a security concern. When updating all my accounts with my new info, I forgot about my Windows 11 account. I'm currently logged in under a deleted email but need to change my admin email and password...
  9. UNABLE TO CHANGE THE ACCOUNT TO ADMIN MODE

in Windows 10 Customization
    UNABLE TO CHANGE THE ACCOUNT TO ADMIN MODE: Hello Sir/Madam,I am unable to change my account type to admin. When I try to do this, a dialog box appears and says that "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to this device" and it also asks for the admin username and password but there is no space for typing those...
  10. Mystery Admin? Can't change settings!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mystery Admin? Can't change settings!: Ok so, been having this issue for a few months where I can't change my password or security settings because "Security Policies on this PC are preventing you from changing this setting". This is very strange as I should be the only admin and I'm not sure what to do. I also...