Windows 10: Unable to change Default Apps by File Type

Discus and support Unable to change Default Apps by File Type in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So your problem is actually pdf hyperlinks, not files on your PC? You said - which seems to mean pdf files open in IE. Two quick suggestions:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MSRadell, Nov 17, 2017.

1. MSRadell Win User

Unable to change Default Apps by File Type

Correct, PDF hyperlinks are wide open in IE 11, files I already have on my computer correctly on Adobe DC reader.

Unfortunately, I do not have a restore point that far back. I had a system image that was from about 2 and half weeks ago and I tried it. It didn't correct the problem so I reverted to my present configuration again because the older image caused some problems with software I use frequently.

I hadn't tried the uninstalling/reinstallation IE11 so I tried that and it didn't make any difference.

MSRadell, Nov 23, 2017
  2. Bree New Member

When you click on a hyperlink to a pdf in IE you are actually running Adobe reader to view the pdf, but it's being displayed inside IE. This is an option within Adobe Reader itself. Open your Adobe Reader and edit its Internet Preferences.

Unable to change Default Apps by File Type [​IMG]

If you untick this option, when you next click on a pdf hyperlink IE will offer you the choice of opening the pdf in Adobe Reader, or saving the pdf to your computer.

3. MSRadell Win User
    I had looked for that action previously and my installation doesn't have it. I completely removed Adobe reader DC and reinstalled it and still don't have that option. When you go through accessibility set up there is an option to allow the opening of PDF documents in Internet Explorer so I uncheck that but the same thing still happens. I'm attaching a screenshot of the Internet set up options in my installation of Adobe.

MSRadell, Nov 23, 2017
  4. Helmut Win User

It's the way you are using the Browser it has been the same for some time.
    Just clicking on a PDF link will open it in IE 11, instead Right Click and Save Target as... which is what I usually do, then open the file as usual in Adobe Reader.
    If it does open in IE 11 then you can save the file, File > Save As... so does it does not really matter.

Adobe Reader XI is my Default for the protocols and files it supports.
    I'm using the older version 11.0.23 which was recently updated. The option in post #15 is no more.

They have changed to the Apps type settings rather than the more obvious Control Panel way. There are multiple Adobe Reader icons in mine all the same, something is not quite right. Give them some feedback on that.

Helmut, Nov 23, 2017
  5. MSRadell Win User
    I've been opening PDF links the same way forever and they have never open like this! I realize I can right-click and save it as a target but it's a lot more work especially considering you have to then open the file. Maybe it's something get it to be changed in the last version that caused this to happen? Any idea where I can get a copy of the older version?

MSRadell, Nov 23, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    According to Majorgeeks...
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...be_reader.html

...so if you were to find any older downloads I wouldn't trust them!

The only older version available direct from Adobe is Reader XI (my earlier screenshot was from Reader X) but Reader XI has the same 'missing web option' problem as your Reader DC.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/i...x-windows.html

However, there appears to be a way around it in IE (at least, for the Reader XI I've just tested). Open IE's 'Manage add-ons' and select 'Show: Run without permission'. Disable Adobe PDF Reader and you then get the choice of open/save when you click a pdf hyperlink.

7. MSRadell Win User
    Unfortunately, I already have it disabled and have had it that way for a long time.

MSRadell, Nov 23, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Disabled in 'Run without permission'? Well, it worked when I tested it with Reader XI which I got direct from Adobe here...
    Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Install for all versions

9. MSRadell Win User
    In my installation show up and run without permission, it just shows up in the all add-ons section.
    It may work for you but it obviously doesn't work for me.
    See screenshots below:

MSRadell, Nov 24, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    It may work for you if you uninstall Reader DC and install Reader XI, that's what I used in my tests. I got it from Adobe here...
    Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Install for all versions

11. MSRadell Win User
    Guess what? After I uninstalled the Reader DC and installed Reader 11 everything is exactly the same as it was previously! Nothing at all changed and I still have the original problem. I still don't have Adobe showing up in the run without permission section and everything else looks exactly the same. The only difference is that when I do open a PDF file from my computer it opens up and Reader 11.

MSRadell, Nov 24, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    That's a pain! Well, if you'd like to try Reader X (the one in my first screenshot with the 'display in browser' tick-box) I've found it for you on Adobe's ftp server.

L: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader.../10.1.4/en_US/

13. MSRadell Win User

I certainly agree with the problem being a pain! Guess what, same thing after uninstalling Reader 11 and installing Reader 10!
    The only thing different making this change was it Adobe showed up in the add-on section as being new and I had to disable it.
    I'm getting lots of good opportunities to measure my boot speed however, fortunately I have an SSD, i7 processor and 32 GB of RAM so boots are quite quick.

I'm about ready to accept it as something I'm stuck with even though I don't like it.

MSRadell, Nov 24, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    Butr doesn't your Reader 10 now have the 'display PDF in browser' tick-box? The one I used in post #15 to change the behaviour in IE?

You'll also have to edit the Preferences > Updater to 'do not download or install updates automatically' else you may soon be back to the latest version.

15. MSRadell Win User
    No it has the same screen as I posted earlier, it does not have "display in browser" checkbox. I'm using iObit on installer and using the power clean function to ensure everything is removed from each installation before install the next one. I'm also rebooting between the uninstall and the next installation. I'm thinking that somehow Microsoft has taken over some of the Adobe functionality with 1 of their recent updates.

MSRadell, Nov 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Unable to change Default Apps by File Type - Similar Threads - Unable change Default

2. Unable to Change Default Program for File Type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Change Default Program for File Type: Hi, I'm having trouble changing the default program associated with a specific file type on my Windows 10 computer. Whenever I try to change it via the "Open with" option or through the Control Panel, the changes don't take effect. The file type remains associated with the...
  3. Unable to Change Default Program for File Type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Change Default Program for File Type: Hi, I'm having trouble changing the default program associated with a specific file type on my Windows 10 computer. Whenever I try to change it via the "Open with" option or through the Control Panel, the changes don't take effect. The file type remains associated with the...
  4. Unable to Change Default Program for File Type

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to change default app for file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change default app for file type: I'm trying to change app that handles .jpg file types on my system from default "photos" to Windows Media player(just because I like better it looks:)) and despite fact that WMP is installed and handles other file types - [img] , I still can't choose it from the windows...
  6. How to change default app for file type

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change default app for file type: I'm trying to change app that handles .jpg file types on my system from default "photos" to Windows Media player(just because I like better it looks:)) and despite fact that WMP is installed and handles other file types, I still can't choose it from the windows default app...
  7. Change default app for file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change default app for file type: I want an .sb3 file to download to Google Chrome but it's downloading to Opera. When I try to change the default app for that file the only option is Opera. Any ideas what to do?...
  8. Unable to change default app by file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change default app by file type: I use a genealogical program with file extension of GED, but MS refuses to let me use Roots Magic as the default app to open the GED files. I have done all methods shown here, and the Windows somehow associates GED files with Photoshop which won't open them as it is the...
  9. change the default app to open a file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    change the default app to open a file type: How do I change the default app to open a .wpd document file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-app-to-open-a-file-type/6cb7b0b6-d967-4f4b-9d18-8ad6651abac0
  10. Unable to change the default app by file type for .PY file.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change the default app by file type for .PY file.: I am unable to change the default app by file type for .PY file. My windows version is 1803 and os build is 17134.376 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-change-the-default-app-by-file-type-for/8e1f3c97-e5f5-405a-8016-d7d43313a6ea