Windows 10: Unable to change Default Apps by File Type

Discus and support Unable to change Default Apps by File Type in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; No it has the same screen as I posted earlier, it does not have "display in browser" checkbox... That is really odd. Something on your machine is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MSRadell, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Bree New Member

Unable to change Default Apps by File Type

That is really odd. Something on your machine is remembering the newer version of Reader. Do you have any other Adobe products installed that may include another copy of the Reader? The full version of Acrobat, perhaps?

On my test machine installing Reader XI let me change the IE behaviour in...

Unable to change Default Apps by File Type [​IMG]

...and installing Reader X 10.1.4 from the ftp link I gave you has the tick-box in...

2. MSRadell Win User

I don't have any other Adobe products and as I said I ensure that I had complete removal of one version, then rebooted and then installed the next one in every case. I'm sure nothing is left over.

I'm running Windows 10 Prox64 and up on version 1709 OS build 1629.64.

MSRadell, Nov 24, 2017
  3. Bree New Member
    Well, you've got me stumped.

My test machine runs Windows 10 Pro x86 version 1709 OS build 16299.64. To remove other versions of Reader I used Adobe's own uninstaller, uninstalling from Settings - Apps & features.

The only thing I haven't tried (yet) is installing Reader DC then trying to go back to an earlier version...

...it's getting late here. That's one for another day (I'll keep you posted).

4. MSRadell Win User

The only difference I can see is that I'm on a x64 machine and you are on a x32 machine but since we are both installing the 32-bit version of Adobe I don't see where that can make a difference.

I've done a couple of more uninstalls/reinstalls this morning using different combinations and still really haven't accomplished anything except getting myself very frustrated.

MSRadell, Nov 24, 2017
  5. Edwin New Member
    A shot in the dark...

Try the Adobe Reader Touch App from the Store:

Adobe Reader Touch

Edwin, Nov 24, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Nov 24, 2017
  7. MSRadell Win User
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.

MSRadell, Nov 24, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

No, neither do I.

I have now tried Reader DC and still cannot reproduce your problem.

With Reader DC installed it is listed under 'All add-ons' and 'Run without permission' in IE's 'manage add-ons' and can be disabled in either. Disabling 'Adobe PDF Reader' gives me the option to save or open in Reader DC when clicking on a pdf hyperlink in IE.

My test PC has a system image of Windows 10 Pro that I restore before each test. This image is about as standard as I can make it, so its IE is in the initial 'unused' state before I begin testing. On first use IE opens to the 'Set up Internet Explorer 11' dialog and then opens the 'Internet Explorer Welcome' page, so it is in its 'as first installed' state before I start testing.

You may want to try resetting your IE to its default settings. I hesitate to suggest this, because you'll loose all your personalisations, add-ons and custom settings - consider this only as a last resort. If you are prepared to set up your IE from scratch. then the 'Reset...' button is in Internet options on the Advanced tab.

9. MSRadell Win User
    Yes, I was thinking of using the nuclear option and hitting the reset button I guess that's what I'm going to try this afternoon. Nothing else has made any difference at all so hopefully that will. I really don't have that much personalization set up so it shouldn't be too big a job to get everything back to normal.

I certainly appreciate all your help and I'll let you know if hitting the reset button corrects the problem.

MSRadell, Nov 25, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Well, you've certainly given my test system a thorough work-out - I've lost count of the number of times I've restored a system image this week *Smile

I certainly hope it does fix things for you. As I said, even the latest Reader DC should be able to be disabled in IE when installed on a 'virgin' 1709 system.

11. MSRadell Win User
    Okay, I think I have now officially given up! I reset everything in Internet Explorer to default conditions and I still get every PDF link I open opening in Internet Explorer instead of giving me a choice where to open it.

I was really debating doing a complete clean install but I have so many customizations for my AutoCAD and several other custom applications that I use that I really don't feel like reinstalling everything!

I certainly appreciate all the help you guys have given me, it's just got to be something stupid in my installation that causes this phenomenon.

MSRadell, Nov 25, 2017
  12. Callender Win User
    Callender, Nov 25, 2017
  13. MSRadell Win User

Unfortunately, I'm already tried that and the default for PDF files is set to Adobe DC reader yet PDF files that are open from links in IE 11 still open in IE instead of in DC reader.

MSRadell, Nov 25, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    To be strictly accurate, it is still Reader DC that's opening the pdf, but the way it is set up is to display the pdf in an IE tab. Without a pdf reader installed that IE can use as a plugin it wouldn't be able to open pdfs. You can see in Task Manager that Reader is running while IE is displaying a pdf and that it stops running when you close the tab.

The problem is that you are supposed to be able to change the Reader and/or IE setting to choose between opening with Reader DC in IE, or to open in Reader DC outside IE - that's the bit that works in all my tests, but apparently can't be done on your system.

15. Edwin New Member
    Can you post one of those links?

Edwin, Nov 25, 2017
Thema:

1. Unable to change Default Apps by File Type - Similar Threads - Unable change Default

2. Unable to open with or set default app for file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open with or set default app for file type: Windows 10 Pro 64-bitVersion: 20H2OS Build: 19042.1052Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0I want to double click on a *.jpg file from my phone and have it open in Chrome.1 - Right clicking results in no "open with" option:2 - Default app for "photo...
  3. unable to change default program based on file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    unable to change default program based on file type: i tried to open a file and it popped up the thing to select a default program for that file type, but chose the wrong program. if i go into my settings to try to change the default it no longer lets me choose any program other than the one i already chose or something from...
  4. How to change default app for file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change default app for file type: I'm trying to change app that handles .jpg file types on my system from default "photos" to Windows Media player(just because I like better it looks:)) and despite fact that WMP is installed and handles other file types - [img] , I still can't choose it from the windows...
  5. How to change default app for file type

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change default app for file type: I'm trying to change app that handles .jpg file types on my system from default "photos" to Windows Media player(just because I like better it looks:)) and despite fact that WMP is installed and handles other file types, I still can't choose it from the windows default app...
  6. Change default app for file type

Change default app for file type: I want an .sb3 file to download to Google Chrome but it's downloading to Opera. When I try to change the default app for that file the only option is Opera. Any ideas what to do?...
  7. Unable to change default app by file type

Unable to change default app by file type: I use a genealogical program with file extension of GED, but MS refuses to let me use Roots Magic as the default app to open the GED files. I have done all methods shown here, and the Windows somehow associates GED files with Photoshop which won't open them as it is the...
  8. unable to choose a default app to open a file type

unable to choose a default app to open a file type: OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Education N OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362 7/‎17/‎2019 Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 I restored file mapping to default via Default Apps Setting "reset to Microsoft recommended defaults"...
  9. change the default app to open a file type

change the default app to open a file type: How do I change the default app to open a .wpd document file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-app-to-open-a-file-type/6cb7b0b6-d967-4f4b-9d18-8ad6651abac0
  10. Unable to change the default app by file type for .PY file.

Unable to change the default app by file type for .PY file.: I am unable to change the default app by file type for .PY file. My windows version is 1803 and os build is 17134.376 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-change-the-default-app-by-file-type-for/8e1f3c97-e5f5-405a-8016-d7d43313a6ea